Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Help Tuning for 3.5" Pulley

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
18tyweslow
Special
18tyweslow

Name : Tyler Weslow
Merit : 0

Help Tuning for 3.5" Pulley Empty
PostSubject: Help Tuning for 3.5" Pulley   Help Tuning for 3.5" Pulley EmptyMon Feb 26, 2018 11:54 am

Hi all! I'm relatively new here, and to the car scene as a whole. I used to drive a 2002 Olds Bravada and (amazingly) picked up a 98' Riv from a family friend around June of last year with around 160k miles on it for 600$! No rust, no problems. Really awesome!

Since then I've been really getting into this little community of passionate people we have here. After months of researching and learning, I'm finally ready to drop a 3.5" pulley in my Riv. I run 92 octane, have Autolite 104's, a 180* stat as well as a custom FWI that I made from posts I saw here! (Thanks again guys!)

Upon more reading I learned that I really should tune my car after I drop the pulley in. I do have a ScanGuageII for measuring knock, and right now I don't have any. At least not that I've been able to detect.

What are my options for tuning? Bringing it to my local performance stop and having them Dyno/tune it there? I'm a freshman in college, and I'm not too versed in doing the tune myself, although it would be fun to do so. dunce

Let me know, I'm very eager to make more boost but I don't want to push my car too far without taking care of the important things first!
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Help Tuning for 3.5" Pulley   Help Tuning for 3.5" Pulley EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 8:15 am

Welcome to the site hi

The reason you aren't "seeing" any knock right now is because it's cold outside. The very second the temp and humidity go up, you're going to start knocking, especially if you haven't opened up the exhaust at all. You're going to need an HPT (tuner) or buy an old DHP (one for sale on this site) and some of us can help you through the tuning process.
If you don't think you'll be able to tune it yourself, I would jump up to a 3.6" pulley and leave it alone. With a bigger throttle body and a higher flowing exhaust (along with your current mods), the factory "tune" will accommodate a 3.6" pulley by itself. That being said, a good tuner (person) can suck some more HP and Torque out of a stock engine.
Yes, tuning is absolutely preferred, but sometimes isn't very cost effective....especially for a daily driver.
Back to top Go down
18tyweslow
Special
18tyweslow

Name : Tyler Weslow
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Help Tuning for 3.5" Pulley   Help Tuning for 3.5" Pulley EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 9:00 am

I think I’ll just run a 3.6 then, that sounds a whole lot less stressful, especially for a freshman in college since I don’t have a whole lot of spending money yet.

As for exhaust mods, what do you recommend? I’ve read here that a 3” downpipe is one of the best things you can do for these cars, but I’m not super versed on brands. I know ZZP makes one for our cars, but I dunno. I’m free to hear more recommendations!
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Help Tuning for 3.5" Pulley   Help Tuning for 3.5" Pulley EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 1:08 pm

Personally, if on a budget, I'd install the downpipe, and then take out the factory resonator. Just put a plain piece of exhaust pipe in its place. It'll give you a little more sound without sounding stupid. The factory exhaust flows pretty well.

You can't go wrong with ZZP anything, really. They've been around the block a few times.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Help Tuning for 3.5" Pulley   Help Tuning for 3.5" Pulley EmptyMon Mar 05, 2018 1:45 am

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Help Tuning for 3.5" Pulley   Help Tuning for 3.5" Pulley EmptyFri Mar 09, 2018 7:03 am

Hi Tyler,

I can tell you that I've had my brother's old commercial Snap-On scanner through a lot of miles and while I bought a reprogrammer, I just have never had the time to concentrate on doing it right - always afraid I'd lose my original programming.   tongue

Also, at this point I mainly just want to drop the fan temps and raise tranny pressure - I'm tired of this 4T65 taking longer to drop into gear than a 4T60 or even an old Turbo 325...

As such, I did the 180-185 stat, the 3" downpipe, gutted the ridiculous crap in the airbox, and have done just fine with a 3.5" pulley on the blower...  I tell people that "the bottom of 2nd gear, getting on the highway, went from a V-6 to a small-block V-8".  80)

ALSO, when I lived in the Bay Area and did a lot of level-road driving from Marin/Sonoma to San Jose or Sacramento, I actually GOT the (old system) EPA 27 MPG Highway mileage!

Mark
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help Tuning for 3.5" Pulley   Help Tuning for 3.5" Pulley Empty

Back to top Go down

Help Tuning for 3.5" Pulley
Page 1 of 1