Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Have no horn due to common Buick issue, want to replace

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ABerkman
Rookie

Name : Ash
Merit : 0

Have no horn due to common Buick issue, want to replace Empty
PostSubject: Have no horn due to common Buick issue, want to replace   Have no horn due to common Buick issue, want to replace EmptyFri Jan 25, 2019 1:06 pm

Hey guys, I've had my 96 Riv for just under a year, and it was purchased from a different state. As such, it didnt need to pass a safety inspection for the first year. Well, that's running out very quickly, and I have the infamous Buick horn problem. The previous owner disconnected the horn altogether, so now I need to install one for my inspection.

I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to wire the power from an aftermarket horn and switch to the charging post under the hood instead of the battery which is under the back seat. Hopefully limiting the amount of interior stuff that I have to do, and mainly focus my efforts under the hood, as that's where the horn will be going anyway (I feel like that didnt need to be said, but hey, who knows these days).

Basically I dont want to have to wire from my back seat to the location I want the switch (in the center console), then through the dash and firewall out to the horn.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts as to where to mount a new horn? I kind of want to go with trumpet style horns for the sound... since I can't get away with doing an air horn without a compressor. That would be my first choice. I want a powerful horn, not just the stock beeps sound. 😋

Any ideas or recommendations?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Have no horn due to common Buick issue, want to replace   Have no horn due to common Buick issue, want to replace EmptySat Jan 26, 2019 10:35 am

Having had to change the positive battery cable, the long one that runs from the battery to the charging terminal under the hood, I can say that accessing the wiring isn't that hard to do. You just have to remove the door sill on the passenger side, the cable is right under it. The rubber boot where the cable passes through the firewall is soft and you can easily pass your horn wire through there.

That said, I don't know why you wouldn't be able to run the horn from the charging terminal under the hood.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Have no horn due to common Buick issue, want to replace   Have no horn due to common Buick issue, want to replace EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 8:12 am

If the steering wheel horn switch is working, use the existing horn wiring. It's heavy enough and relay-controlled.

Some jurisdictions have limits on horn output.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have no horn due to common Buick issue, want to replace   Have no horn due to common Buick issue, want to replace Empty

Back to top Go down

Have no horn due to common Buick issue, want to replace
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Care & Maintenance-
Jump to: