Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Transmission Drain Plug Kit

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
knoxbroadcaster
knoxbroadcaster

Name : Charles
Merit : 0

Transmission Drain Plug Kit Empty
PostSubject: Transmission Drain Plug Kit   Transmission Drain Plug Kit EmptyWed Jun 21, 2023 3:58 pm

Looking for a recommendation for a transmission pan drain plug kit. I don't have a welder or any skills so that's out.

Also on my 1996 SC transmission pan where should I put the plug?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Drain Plug Kit   Transmission Drain Plug Kit EmptyWed Jun 21, 2023 11:25 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Derale-13010-Universal-Drain-Plug/dp/B000CJ0626/

or just go to your local NAPA and get theirs, it's like $15 or so.
Back to top Go down
knoxbroadcaster
knoxbroadcaster

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Drain Plug Kit   Transmission Drain Plug Kit EmptyThu Jun 22, 2023 12:40 pm

albertj wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Derale-13010-Universal-Drain-Plug/dp/B000CJ0626/

or just go to your local NAPA and get theirs, it's like $15 or so.

Thanks for the info.... Any idea of where the best place to locate the drain?

Last edited by knoxbroadcaster on Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
brutusk1

Name : Brutusk
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Drain Plug Kit   Transmission Drain Plug Kit EmptyFri Jun 23, 2023 12:39 am

Where to put the drain plug?

I just put one of the NAPA drain plugs into my transmission pan and made the mistake of deciding where to locate it with the oil filter removed.

It seems like there's plenty of space without the filter. After I put the filter back in and went to re-install the pan I found that where I'd placed the plug created an interference with the filter of about 1/8th inch and I couldn't get the pan to seat flush.

By necessity, I was forced to cut the nut that holds the threaded portion of the plug in half to gain back that 1/8th inch of clearance.

The inside nut of the NAPA drain plug is way thicker than what it needs to be and I would take a hacksaw and cut it in half to gain almost a quarter inch of clearance between the top of the nut and whatever is inside the transmission that might interfere with it. Then, you'll have more options with regard to its placement.

But shortening that nut by half by grinding, or cutting with a hacksaw, or however you do it, it seems more likely that the nut could loosen over time from vibration. So, I made sure to use some thread locking compound on the nut to fix it in place. I've been driving the car for about 4k miles since that installation and it hasn't fallen out yet (knock on wood).

But, since I use car ramps to change the oil, it made sense to place the drain plug towards the rear of the pan so that most of the transmission fluid would drain out when it comes time to drain it.
Back to top Go down
knoxbroadcaster
knoxbroadcaster

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Drain Plug Kit   Transmission Drain Plug Kit EmptyFri Jun 23, 2023 11:28 am

brutusk1 wrote:
Where to put the drain plug?

I just put one of the NAPA drain plugs into my transmission pan and made the mistake of deciding where to locate it with the oil filter removed.

It seems like there's plenty of space without the filter.  After I put the filter back in and went to re-install the pan I found that where I'd placed the plug created an interference with the filter of about 1/8th inch and I couldn't get the pan to seat flush.

By necessity, I was forced to cut the nut that holds the threaded portion of the plug in half to gain back that 1/8th inch of clearance.

The inside nut of the NAPA drain plug is way thicker than what it needs to be and I would take a hacksaw and cut it in half to gain almost a quarter inch of clearance between the top of the nut and whatever is inside the transmission that might interfere with it.  Then, you'll have more options with regard to its placement.

But shortening that nut by half by grinding, or cutting with a hacksaw, or however you do it, it seems more likely that the nut could loosen over time from vibration.  So, I made sure to use some thread locking compound on the nut to fix it in place.  I've been driving the car for about 4k miles since that installation and it hasn't fallen out yet (knock on wood).

But, since I use car ramps to change the oil, it made sense to place the drain plug towards the rear of the pan so that most of the transmission fluid would drain out when it comes time to drain it.

Excellent info thanks
Back to top Go down
brutusk1

Name : Brutusk
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Drain Plug Kit   Transmission Drain Plug Kit EmptyFri Jun 23, 2023 12:06 pm

Incidentally, this is the plug that I installed,
Apparently Dorman makes it:

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-65241-AutoGrade-Drain-Plug/dp/B000COBBSY/ref=sr_1_13?crid=2VIRXKCDGXGIP&keywords=dorman+transmission+oil+drain+plug+090-208cd&qid=1687534790&s=automotive&sprefix=Dorman+transmission+oil+drain+%2Cautomotive%2C197&sr=1-13

Apparently many people replace the nylon washer with copper crush washers for more durability, and that makes sense to me.  I didn't think of that.

The Dorman drain plug sticks down below the surface of the pan by probably half an inch or more which could get snagged on some road debris that you happen to drive over.  If I was going to do it over, I would try to find a different drain plug - one that didn't jut so far down below the pan.  But all the ones I see jut out a fair distance too.

dAriel49 likes this post

Back to top Go down
KenBluder
Amateur
KenBluder

Name : KenBluder
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Drain Plug Kit   Transmission Drain Plug Kit EmptySat Jun 24, 2023 8:36 am

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3662085&cc=1022050&pt=8546&jsn=508&_nck=HllVxRCey1%2B2aVRDo41oQXhbegy63eH0PchVaGVs1k%2BAll0%2F%2F7FZXjBdldY0BurSU4nxEEcYmFKe35qT58jQ3b%2BhkYx21EuBgQ9FAP%2BRj3QDI%2BSBMINrOQVpVX9W6ATqqq2UhcU7A9uijNgOzBeFdWahKr8a9pPvzTsbbfOzG9gGk%2FAzw7%2BzjQ0d8ph%2FjBB5lST8PTqrhljilexhbDy8aLgpk42gS5B6%2FXwcm81VTXM9qDVqgzpRexJ7ygVnenIdMUwes9jitpdcVMoi%2BD3g9JRrQS%2FMYEdJsce2WC%2BZvoWJbi8JCgG2TTjloQ32Z65v

What about a new pan with a drain already installed? Rock Auto - used this on my '97.
Back to top Go down
dAriel49
Amateur

Name : Jarred

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Drain Plug Kit   Transmission Drain Plug Kit EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 12:55 am

brutusk1 wrote:
Incidentally, this is the plug that I installed,
Apparently Dorman makes it:

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-65241-AutoGrade-Drain-Plug/dp/B000COBBSY/ref=sr_1_13?crid=2VIRXKCDGXGIP&keywords=dorman+transmission+oil+drain+plug+090-208cd&qid=1687534790&s=automotive&sprefix=Dorman+transmission+oil+drain+%2Cautomotive%2C197&sr=1-13

Apparently many people replace the nylon washer with copper crush washers for more durability, and that makes sense to me.  I didn't think of that.

The Dorman drain plug sticks down below the surface of the pan by probably half an inch or more which could get snagged on some road debris that you happen to drive over.  If I was going to do it over, I would try to find a different drain plug - one that didn't jut so far down below the pan.  But all the ones I see jut out a fair distance too.

I will tip my uncle about the copper crush washer. He traded his Wrangler TJ to this '97 Riv. Trans works will be the priority. Got to mount the suspension and jeep wheels on the TJ this weekend before we can fetch it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Drain Plug Kit   Transmission Drain Plug Kit Empty

Back to top Go down

Transmission Drain Plug Kit
Page 1 of 1