Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Fuel / Oil Pressure Sending & Gauges

Go down 
+8
BMD
GMFreak8
turtleman
SuperRiv07
RhinoFLA
urbsnspices
RivMan
dreww
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
sqrivi
Fanatic

Name : scott
Merit : 52

write -up - Write-Up: Fuel / Oil Pressure Sending & Gauges - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: aftermarket sending unit help   write -up - Write-Up: Fuel / Oil Pressure Sending & Gauges - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 12:15 am

I have a Dakota Digital gauge cluster on the way for my riv. Here is a link.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=737/category_id=636/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd737.htm

I have to use their sending units for oil pressure and water temp. Both sending units have 1/8" NPT threads. My question is can I swap out the stock sending units for the dakota units? If so where are they located. If not, how/where should I go about installing these two sending units?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel / Oil Pressure Sending & Gauges   write -up - Write-Up: Fuel / Oil Pressure Sending & Gauges - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 2:12 am

I think you're going to need at least one pipe adapter. I'm not positive but I remember the water temp sensor being fairly large threaded, definitely bigger than 1/8" You can adapt it though. Other issue with that, however, is the PCM needs to have that coolant temp information too. I would see if there is something to split it and maybe use both the original and the new sending unit on that. The one I'm thinking of it right below the thermostat in the lower intake. The Oil pressure sending unit is in a tougher spot above the oil filter. I would do the same things for that. Split it and run both sending units. I don't have details on what all that is but somebody who's got an aftermarket oil pressure gauge would certainly know.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel / Oil Pressure Sending & Gauges   write -up - Write-Up: Fuel / Oil Pressure Sending & Gauges - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 1:11 pm

turtleman wrote:
I think you're going to need at least one pipe adapter. I'm not positive but I remember the water temp sensor being fairly large threaded, definitely bigger than 1/8" You can adapt it though. Other issue with that, however, is the PCM needs to have that coolant temp information too. I would see if there is something to split it and maybe use both the original and the new sending unit on that. The one I'm thinking of it right below the thermostat in the lower intake. The Oil pressure sending unit is in a tougher spot above the oil filter. I would do the same things for that. Split it and run both sending units. I don't have details on what all that is but somebody who's got an aftermarket oil pressure gauge would certainly know.

I have an Autometer oil pressure gauge on my Riviera. All you need to do is buy the appropriate brass fitting to run both gauge, and light. My gauge is mechanical, so all I needed to do was to run the copper tubing from the brass fitting to the gauge. A coolant temperature gauge will be a lot tougher due to it's size and location. The sensor needs to be immersed in coolant to be accurate. That will be tough to do, and there cannot be an air pocket there.

write -up - Write-Up: Fuel / Oil Pressure Sending & Gauges - Page 2 Boost7-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel / Oil Pressure Sending & Gauges   write -up - Write-Up: Fuel / Oil Pressure Sending & Gauges - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Fuel / Oil Pressure Sending & Gauges
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2