Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

A/C hint

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

A/C hint Empty
PostSubject: A/C hint   A/C hint EmptyTue Aug 07, 2007 10:37 pm

Learned a few new things from my mechanic tonight which you all may be interested to know -

- The AC will always blow colder on the passenger side. ALWAYS. This is normal for most GM cars.

- If you close the vents on the passenger side thinking you will get colder air on the driver's side, you will get warmer air instead. For some reason, the AC will blow a few degrees colder with all the vents open.

- The AC system, like all the other parts of the car, doesn't like to sit. You need to use the defroster at least once per month during the winter, otherwise the compressor seal won't stay lubricated and can start to leak freon.

I'm hoping this last is what happened to me. I've used my defroster once in 3 years. shocked I've got a full charge now and blowing COLD. Sweet, sweet, cold refrigerated air!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

A/C hint Empty
PostSubject: Re: A/C hint   A/C hint EmptyWed Aug 08, 2007 9:59 am

Good tips. I forgot, does the defroster turn on automatically in winter if you set the AC to auto? I thought it did, but not sure.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

A/C hint Empty
PostSubject: Re: A/C hint   A/C hint EmptyWed Aug 08, 2007 2:11 pm

I always try to kick the heater on once in a while in the summer months, and vice versa for the a/c in the winter. I read somewhere that not using them for months on end could cause problems when they are engaged months later.

dont remember where I read it though. Pretty cheap insurance to hit a button once per week if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

A/C hint Empty
PostSubject: Re: A/C hint   A/C hint EmptyWed Aug 08, 2007 2:57 pm

AA wrote:
Good tips. I forgot, does the defroster turn on automatically in winter if you set the AC to auto? I thought it did, but not sure.

You got me. I've only needed it the one time.
Back to top Go down
kldoud
Special

Name : kerry
Merit : 0

A/C hint Empty
PostSubject: Re: A/C hint   A/C hint EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:12 pm

changing supercharger oil should the engine be warm or cold in order to draw the oil out?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A/C hint Empty
PostSubject: Re: A/C hint   A/C hint Empty

Back to top Go down

A/C hint
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Care & Maintenance-
Jump to: