Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on

Go down 
+34
L67
ZEP
robotennis61
95rivy
lionfish
Jamax
amaidendevil
LARRY70GS
Abaddon
Eldo
Cmurphy
jeffyd123
deekster_caddy
albertj
BatMobile
Redline
sinner78
Rickw
dscott2000
1995 Riv
steve1173
ibmoses
dreww
skuchin
Chicken
Rivlady
96RIVMANN
robertwolf86
TType_Riviera
Mr.Riviera
Brad95Riv
AA
99Rivman
okiedrifter
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on   FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on - Page 6 EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 10:43 pm

New, on the 97-99, these are ~$150 from Rock Auto. Used you can pull from '97 - '99 Riv or Olds Aurora. Maybe a few phone calls might find you one in a junkyard or pick n pull??!? for more like $15 - $30.

The earlier ones are cheaper and used in lots more cars:

BUICK RIVIERA (1995 - 1996)
BUICK ROADMASTER (1991 - 1996)
BUICK ROADMASTER ESTATE (1991 - 1995)
BUICK ROADMASTER LIMITED 1992
BUICK ROADMASTER LIMITED WAGON 1996
CADILLAC FLEETWOOD (1993 - 1996)
CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM (1993 - 1996)
OLDSMOBILE AURORA (1995 - 1996)
OLDSMOBILE CUSTOM CRUISER (1991 - 1992)
OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SUPREME (1989 - 1997)
OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SUPREME INTERNATIONAL (1989 - 1993)
OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SUPREME S (1992 - 1994)
OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SUPREME SL (1989 - 1997)

they start at $90 for a Delco at rockauto.com; again should be cheaper in a salvage yard.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on   FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 9:50 am

albertj wrote:
Any idea why it fried? Weather? Cussedness? Phase of the moon?

I have no clue. I just shut my car off one day, and the Blower Motor just kept running. I was like WTF? scratch
Just one of those things I guess......Actually, I noticed first that the blower speed wouldn't change. The bars went up and down on the controller, but it stayed the same speed. Then just didnt shut off.
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on   FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 10:21 am

Albert, many thanks for the info. On Rockauto, though, it looks like the item you're referring to as $90 is only the plastic piece, not including the fins. I was under the impression that the whole thing should be replaced (?).

Abaddon, that is exactly what has happened to our car, so hopefully it's the same solution.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on   FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 10:45 am

Yeah, it's an electrical BMCM as compared to most other cars that use a "mechanical" resistor block. I assume that the board just eventually shorts out.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on   FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 7:25 pm

ZEP wrote:
Albert, many thanks for the info. On Rockauto, though, it looks like the item you're referring to as $90 is only the plastic piece, not including the fins. I was under the impression that the whole thing should be replaced (?).

Abaddon, that is exactly what has happened to our car, so hopefully it's the same solution.

might want to call RockAuto on that one; as for a replacement I'm thinking junkyard.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on   FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on - Page 6 EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 7:58 pm

Any body ever had their AC turn on by itself? Mine started to do this today. I'm f.....g stumped! and I couldnt turn the f....r off!
Back to top Go down
Jamax
Enthusiast

Name : Jim Fleck
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on   FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on - Page 6 EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Sounds like--in fact it almost has to be--a shorted-out switch. Well, actually, a shorted-on switch, but you get the idea. On the other hand, you do know that I don't know what the hell I'm talking about when it comes to Riv problems. Still, I had that happen once on a non-automotive situation. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: temp   FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on - Page 6 EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 9:51 pm

Man! theolder this bitch gets,the bitchier too! the things we do for love....
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on   FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on - Page 6 EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 10:42 pm

Just addressed this on my car, it was the blower motor control module which is located in the passenger footwell kick panel (at least on 96 and up MY). See this thread, hopefully the 95's aren't different.

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t7381-write-up-blower-motor-control-module-replacement

You can test the module by using a multimeter to test the voltage in the plug/wire coming out of the module that goes into the blower motor. It should vary when you change fan speeds on the HVAC controller. (ex: Lo = 2 Volts, Hi = 12 volts). If the voltage remains 12 all the time, you can pretty much safely assume the module is toast.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on   FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on - Page 6 EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 11:39 pm

Thanks man! I gotta check that out
Back to top Go down
Wolfmaster579
Fanatic
Wolfmaster579

Name : Ryan
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Blower motor wont turn off   FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 3:02 am

Alright so its been hot latelyand much to my luck I have been having problems with my AC. Refilled my refridgerant a couple of times and had to replace the retrofit valve. Then the AC would still turn itself off. The computer says the refridgerant is very low but when i reset the system and check it its fine. And recently, I went to a friends house for a visit and upon turning off my car, the blower motor would shut off. I had to unplug it. I got a closer look at the plug and saw it was melted on the one side. Got a new plug and the motor still wouldnt switch off when the car is off. So I have ordered a new blower motor. The current one is old and where the plug connects was messed up due to the melting.

My question is where I should look if the new blower motor still has the same issue and wont turn off? Please help. I dont want to lift the hood every time i start my car just to use my air.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on   FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 9:36 am

Ryan, your post was merged to a thread focused on the issue you are having. It's a bit of reading, but you'll find most of these problems were caused by a single component.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
knuckled1
knuckled1

Name : craig
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on   FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on - Page 6 EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 1:34 am

This seems to be a very common problem on the Rivs. Are there any interchanges available for the 97-99 Rivs? My blower stopped working the other day and came back on later in the evening, and hasnt worked since. I pulled blower motor thinkin it was the culprit. When I jumped it from the battery it worked. Does this mean its the blower control module? or the actual in-dash control unit? I have an extra unit from a 2000 century or regal but itn doesnt fit because it has the passenger controls built into it. Any ideas? Can you test a Blower Contrtol Module? New BCM is $236.00 at Autozone. Does anyone know if Part is same on Aurora,Regal,Park Ave or Intrigue? Thanks again for any help.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on   FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on - Page 6 EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 9:16 am

I just looked on www.rockauto.com Looks like 97-99 Riv use the same part. They call it a blower motor resistor, but I think it is the blower control module, about 150.00. Looks like the Aurora is the same, Regal is definitely different. Can you test them, maybe. If you can, they would describe it in the FSM, which you should get if you intend to keep the car, and work on it yourself. These cars are very complex, and it really takes some tests with a multi meter to narrow the problem down. That requires an FSM.

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=1513974&imageurl=http%3A//info.rockauto.com/SMP/RU541_FULL.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
knuckled1
knuckled1

Name : craig
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on   FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on - Page 6 EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 12:17 am

Larry, thank you for clarification. I really should find a FSM soon. And an Owners Manual. I guess its to the local salvage yard to look for auroras, rarely see rivs anymore! Thx again.
Back to top Go down
AKC
Amateur
AKC

Name : AKC
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on   FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on - Page 6 EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 10:40 pm

Just to add my .02...

Just had my Riv pull the "Going down the road and suddenly the blower starts running full, won't shut off" thing.

Got to our destination, wife went and did her thing while I diddled, pulled the fuse, blower stops, reinsert fuse, blower runs, pull fuse, blower off, reinsert again blower stays off.

Now after reading this thread, I realize the BMCM has gone south. I'm an electronics tech, I'll see if it's repairable.

In the meantime, I found a new GM one on fleabay. $93.95 + $12.00 shp. I'm not sure what the board rules for "deal-spotting" is, but here's the link to the seller;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330528580910?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

10/29/2011 - UPDATE - Module arrived today, earlier than expected, Yahoo! Installed, all is well.

Just want to say thanks again to Riviera Performance for helping me learn from others experience. yay
Back to top Go down
dpmeeks
Rookie

Name : Phil
Merit : 1

PostSubject: blower motor doesnt come on sometimes   FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 5:22 am

On the wifes rivi sometimes we go out and turn the heat on and the blower motor takes a bit for it to start working. I did some searching on here and i guess is the problem the blower motor control module ??

Are these still available and where is the best place to get one if thats my problem ?? thanks !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on   FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: HVAC Blower motor only works part time, or stays on
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6