Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Tinely Omen

Go down 
+8
Andysdorm
Ridin-Rivi
BillBoost37
99Rivman
AA
RhinoFLA
Mr.Riviera
mountainrider
12 posters
AuthorMessage
mountainrider
Amateur

Merit : 0

Tinely Omen Empty
PostSubject: Tinely Omen   Tinely Omen EmptySun Dec 02, 2007 2:47 pm

Found you just in time. I've actually been searching, off an on, for this knowledge base over the last couple of years.

I found you guys with a google search " forum rear shock Riviera". I hate that rear suspension! Especially since I replaced the front struts with Monroes a couple of years back. It just cannot keep up with the front. At last I have found others that have, or are attempting to, address this issue.

So lately, I've been puzzling over replacing or rehabing our owned since new 98. It was the wifes car until earlier this year when I bought her an 07 3.5 Altima. I've been commuting in the Buick since then. It has around 130k on it and that number is climbing by about 750 miles each week.

This has been a great car. I did replace the supercharger at 110k and had to replace a rotor or 2 over the years, but I'm pretty happy with it and hate payments. But here is my puzzlement.

This car has never been in the garage (full of motorcycles) and the 2 remaining body panels with OE paint are checked from sun exposure. They need striping to bare metal and a repaint (my wife is a little rough on paint). The front tires are a bald on the outside edges...I'm calculating a 3k minimum investment to keep her from being a visual embarassment and a roadworthy commuter. The car probably wouldnt bring 5 k in pristine condition etc.

Finding you guys and the resources you've found for addressing the cars weak points has given me the resolve to pour some money in the old girl and keep her. Guess I'll be driving my van over the winter while she gets her make-over.

Winter Laundry List
New engine/tranny mounts (thanks for the cheap mount posts)
New front and rear stabilizer bars
New Strut tower brace
New rear shocks. Ohlins HQ is near the house....
New rotors and pads
New tires
New paint

Thanks for helping me spend my money, people.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

Tinely Omen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tinely Omen   Tinely Omen EmptySun Dec 02, 2007 4:03 pm

Welcome! thats why we are here smile

why did you replace the supercharger at 110k?

Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

Name : Ryan
Merit : 4

Tinely Omen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tinely Omen   Tinely Omen EmptySun Dec 02, 2007 4:29 pm

Welcome aboard :>

If you picked up everything you mentioned, the car would be in immaculate condition.. well worth the 5k that you doubted it would be worth
Back to top Go down
mountainrider
Amateur

Tinely Omen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tinely Omen   Tinely Omen EmptySun Dec 02, 2007 6:52 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
Welcome! thats why we are here smile

why did you replace the supercharger at 110k?

Either the nose cone bearing or the SC bearing had a lot of slop. Apparently, it isnt uncommon for them to fail in the 70k to 100k range?

I found a guy in NC who rebuilds them and after core refund, it was like $400ish. Not too bad.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Tinely Omen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tinely Omen   Tinely Omen EmptySun Dec 02, 2007 8:08 pm

Not bad for him if he only had to replace the $30 plastic coupler piece. Properly maintained, it is very hard to kill the blower, even at high miles. The bearings rarely fail as long as the oil doesn't leak out. Not saying you got taken on the blower repair, but it's possible the only thing wrong was the coupler, which is designed to be the part that flexes or breaks under stress.

But at least you fixed it. Welcome to the site. Hope your plans to fix up your Riviera are successful!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

Tinely Omen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tinely Omen   Tinely Omen EmptySun Dec 02, 2007 9:06 pm

AA wrote:

But at least you fixed it. Welcome to the site. Hope your plans to fix up your Riviera are successful!
agree
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

Tinely Omen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tinely Omen   Tinely Omen EmptyMon Dec 03, 2007 5:41 am

Welcome..

I'll further AA's (aka Aaron) post a little further. Even if you replaced the bearings and coupler it would still only be a little over a hundred. Now .. you'll have that knowledge for the future.
Back to top Go down
mountainrider
Amateur

Tinely Omen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tinely Omen   Tinely Omen EmptyMon Dec 03, 2007 6:10 am

AA wrote:
Not bad for him if he only had to replace the $30 plastic coupler piece. Properly maintained, it is very hard to kill the blower, even at high miles. The bearings rarely fail as long as the oil doesn't leak out. Not saying you got taken on the blower repair, but it's possible the only thing wrong was the coupler, which is designed to be the part that flexes or breaks under stress.

Try and guess one of the reasons I was trying for so long to find as astute a knowledge base as this ....You were a little hard to find.

maybe consulting with you guys will actually save me money hence forth
Back to top Go down
Ridin-Rivi
Enthusiast
Ridin-Rivi

Name : Darrin

Tinely Omen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tinely Omen   Tinely Omen EmptyMon Dec 03, 2007 10:11 am

Welcome aboard!
Back to top Go down
Andysdorm
Aficionado
Andysdorm

Name : Andrew
Merit : 6

Tinely Omen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tinely Omen   Tinely Omen EmptyMon Dec 03, 2007 5:01 pm

mountainrider wrote:

Winter Laundry List
New Strut tower brace
New rotors and pads
New tires
New paint

Any particular color you got in mind?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/671386
jimmyriv
Junkie
jimmyriv

Name : James
Merit : 8

Tinely Omen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tinely Omen   Tinely Omen EmptyMon Dec 03, 2007 7:12 pm

Welcome to the site. Hope your plans to fix up your Riviera are successful........ cheers
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/jimmyriv
mountainrider
Amateur

Tinely Omen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tinely Omen   Tinely Omen EmptyMon Dec 03, 2007 8:01 pm

Andysdorm wrote:
mountainrider wrote:

Winter Laundry List
New Strut tower brace
New rotors and pads
New tires
New paint

I like the OE pearl white it came with. All my bikes are black. Obviously my favorite, but thats too much maintenance for a daily driver.

Thanks to the rest of you all for the welcome and the salt in the wounds bonk
Back to top Go down
Andysdorm
Aficionado
Andysdorm

Name : Andrew

Tinely Omen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tinely Omen   Tinely Omen EmptyTue Dec 04, 2007 10:29 am

mountainrider wrote:
Andysdorm wrote:
mountainrider wrote:

Winter Laundry List
New Strut tower brace
New rotors and pads
New tires
New paint

I like the OE pearl white it came with. All my bikes are black. Obviously my favorite, but thats too much maintenance for a daily driver.

Thanks to the rest of you all for the welcome and the salt in the wounds bonk

just thought I'd ask. I get excited when Riv owners decide to do something different. I'd stay with the white pearl, that's a genuinely nice color for the Riv.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/671386
mountainrider
Amateur

Tinely Omen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tinely Omen   Tinely Omen EmptyTue Dec 04, 2007 6:57 pm

Andysdorm wrote:

just thought I'd ask. I get excited when Riv owners decide to do something different. I'd stay with the white pearl, that's a genuinely nice color for the Riv.

I did custom painting on bikes while attending college. I guess I just got to the point where I tired quickly of anything cosmeticaly fancy. Love to see it on others rides though. Yours is very tight.

I'm most interested in getting this thing to handle. I live in the mountains of NC and love the slalom course back roads around here. A good handling bike is the best way to exploit the potential, but I do appreciate a composed car. Seeing the supension threads hooked me on keeping the Riv. The only serious dislike I have had with the car was its land yacht handling. Funny thing is that I was disapointed when my wife chose this car back in 98 and that I have come to enjoy it so much. I'm making arrangements to have this thing modded out by spring.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

Tinely Omen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tinely Omen   Tinely Omen EmptyTue Dec 04, 2007 7:44 pm

I used to live in Greenville SC and I still take frequent trips down there. My favorite road is I40 between Knocksville and Ashville. (I love the sound of my exhaust (see mods) going through the two long tunnels.

I have modded my car 1st for handling then braking. I am just now messing with my engine. Even though it weighs 2tons it handles great through the mountains.

If you need any help or advise, let me know. I am happy to share what I know... lots of trial and error!!
Back to top Go down
mountainrider
Amateur

Tinely Omen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tinely Omen   Tinely Omen EmptyWed Dec 05, 2007 6:03 am

ewolfe0050 wrote:
I used to live in Greenville SC and I still take frequent trips down there. My favorite road is I40 between Knocksville and Ashville. (I love the sound of my exhaust (see mods) going through the two long tunnels.

I have modded my car 1st for handling then braking. I am just now messing with my engine. Even though it weighs 2tons it handles great through the mountains.

If you need any help or advise, let me know. I am happy to share what I know... lots of trial and error!!

For interstate, that section of 40 is alright.There are always lots of mobile chicanes to add to the challenge of a quick run through the gap.

As to your offer of advice, thats what I'm talking about! thanks! I will be taking you up on that, Look for some PMs soon.

John
Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

Name : Jack

Tinely Omen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tinely Omen   Tinely Omen EmptyWed Dec 05, 2007 11:24 pm

Hey, welcome to the board! Glad you found us. Lots of good information and good friends. happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/468780
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Tinely Omen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tinely Omen   Tinely Omen EmptyThu Dec 06, 2007 2:36 pm

regarding the rear shocks, suggest you get set of OEM air shocks for rear from Rock Auto, http://www.rockauto.com - they have some NOS Delcos, I bought a set & was thrilled, they cae with new mounts. Given the mounts are uaually almost $0 per, this was cheapest way to go.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tinely Omen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tinely Omen   Tinely Omen Empty

Back to top Go down

Tinely Omen
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General :: Welcome!-
Jump to: