Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

cold temps high idle?

Go down 
+9
BMD
IBx1
T Riley
racinfan
deekster_caddy
albertj
1998 Riv
AA
robertwolf86
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

cold temps high idle? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cold temps high idle?   cold temps high idle? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 9:01 pm

BMD wrote:
Thanks for that info Aaron!
AA wrote:
I've set mine to idle at 750, as it decreases vibration in the interior.
Thats what I want to do aswell, how did you do that Aaron? "Senabunns" said that theres a little screw in the back of the throttle body that increased the tension on the the throttle cables and increased the rpms. But I can't seem to find a screw for the throttle cables anywhere.

You do NOT want to raise the throttle plate adjustment. Let the IAC handle it and reprogram the PCM if you really want to change it.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: cold temps high idle?   cold temps high idle? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 9:11 pm

BMD wrote:
Ok, thanks Aaron! Can you use a scanner to do tuning?

You can only "tune" your 96 with a DHP Powtuner (used) or an HP Tuners unit. A scan tool has no tuning capabilities.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: cold temps high idle?   cold temps high idle? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 10:34 pm

AA wrote:
You could adjust the cable, but I'd think that would throw off the throttle position sensor. TP% is an important factor used by the PCM for calculating lots of stuff.

The best way to set idle RPM is to use a tuner to go into the PCM's memory and change the values to what you want them to be. That's how I did it. Buying a tuner means you should have other reasons for using it, so just setting idle RPM probably isn't worth it.

Actually I think the best way to get rd ofthe idle vibraton is, leave the tables alone and replace the motor and transmission mounts. IMHO.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: cold temps high idle?   cold temps high idle? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 11:21 pm

1998 Riv wrote:
BMD wrote:
Ok, thanks Aaron! Can you use a scanner to do tuning?

You can only "tune" your 96 with a DHP Powtuner (used) or an HP Tuners unit. A scan tool has no tuning capabilities.

Cant use HPTuners on a 96 wink
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: cold temps high idle?   cold temps high idle? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 11:26 pm

Oops, that's right DHP only for 96.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: cold temps high idle?   cold temps high idle? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 4:57 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
BMD wrote:
Thanks for that info Aaron!
AA wrote:
I've set mine to idle at 750, as it decreases vibration in the interior.
Thats what I want to do aswell, how did you do that Aaron? "Senabunns" said that theres a little screw in the back of the throttle body that increased the tension on the the throttle cables and increased the rpms. But I can't seem to find a screw for the throttle cables anywhere.

You do NOT want to raise the throttle plate adjustment. Let the IAC handle it and reprogram the PCM if you really want to change it.

I wasn't going to after Aarons response...

AA wrote:
You could adjust the cable, but I'd think that would throw off the throttle position sensor. TP% is an important factor used by the PCM for calculating lots of stuff.

The best way to set idle RPM is to use a tuner to go into the PCM's memory and change the values to what you want them to be. That's how I did it. Buying a tuner means you should have other reasons for using it, so just setting idle RPM probably isn't worth it.

but thanks for the advice aswell as the info on the tuner guys!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: cold temps high idle?   cold temps high idle? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 9:21 pm

I need mine to idle at 750 RPM after installing 1.9 ratio Rocker Arms.
Hell, Even AA said he increased his idle RPM in drive with the brake on to 750 RPM due to a shake.
So, I thought the smoothness of the idle was upset do to the install of the 1:9 Rockers
Now I'm being told I could have a problem with the timing chain and adjuster.
I'll trade for PAU
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: cold temps high idle?   cold temps high idle? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 9:27 pm

i have 1.84 RR's and no problems at idle. 1.9's shouldnt be any different.
My car has always had a little more vibration sitting with the brake on, but i attribute it to worn rear trans mount. I filled the front mount with urethane and it helped with "PNR123" shifting vibration, but i suspect firming up the mounts may make more vibration at a certain point.

Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: cold temps high idle?   cold temps high idle? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 9:34 pm

here is a snap shot of my stock .bin

cold temps high idle? - Page 2 Dscn1110

as you can see the RPM is actually at 634.9 at the temp most of us run at with the 180* t-stat installed and sitting in traffic.
I may bring that up to like 675 to see if ti makes a difference, but i think 750 may hurt my gas mileage too much just to save a little vibration IMO.

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: cold temps high idle?   cold temps high idle? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 9:43 pm

I had this conversation last night about my car idling rough at 650 RPM since shortly after installing my 1.9 Rockers, and also discussing the warning i got from Zooomer at ZZP regarding using the 105 # springs, etc.
The concesus was that my timing chain and adjuster could be taking a beating because of the set-up i have.
So, my idle situation may different than yours, IDK.
What i need to do is buy some good software to analyze what's going on and make changes accordingly
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: cold temps high idle?   cold temps high idle? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 8:45 am

Quote :
AA said he increased his idle RPM in drive with the brake on to 750 RPM due to a shake. So, I thought the smoothness of the idle was upset do to the install of the 1:9 Rockers
Just to be clear, I increased idle RPM to calm interior resonance, meaning the rattles/noises. Over time the panels got looser, so this fixed the problem. There was never any "shaking" going on. My roller rockers actually made the idle seem smoother (modified stock rockers don't have rollers, so then it wouldn't be the same case).

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cold temps high idle?   cold temps high idle? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

cold temps high idle?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2