Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

I think it's time for a new Tranny...

Go down 
+2
AA
SC95Riv
6 posters
AuthorMessage
SC95Riv
Enthusiast
SC95Riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 0

I think it's time for a new Tranny... Empty
PostSubject: I think it's time for a new Tranny...   I think it's time for a new Tranny... EmptySat Dec 22, 2007 11:28 pm

Back in March of this year I had the transmission serviced...flush, filter. At the time it just had sort of rough shifts and was rough coming out of park. It never slipped or missed a gear, so I did the flush as sort of a precaution. Well after the flush, the transmission started acting "funny" slow acceleration, which progressed into a slip into overdrive. Last night driving home and hour away from home I seem to have lost overdrive completely. I was in 3rd gear doing 65 MPH on the highway at like 2500 RPM. SO I set the cruise to 60 and limped home. At this time the SES light came on, when I got home, i plugged in my scanner and got the same code for my boost solenoid I got a couple weeks back (which hasnt been fixed, dude to lack of cash) What do you guys think is wrong with the transmission. I'm at 98K on it, and I'm assuming its the original motor and transmission. Could it really just be time for a rebuild or could it be a solenoid in the tranny?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: I think it's time for a new Tranny...   I think it's time for a new Tranny... EmptySun Dec 23, 2007 12:04 am

Sometimes, if a transaxle hasn't been serviced in a long time, flushing the system can cause problems. Instead of only replacing the fluid, a flush introduces pressure and detergents, which loosen debris in the valvebody, clogging passages and causing solenoids to stick open or closed. I have experienced this myself, though not as a result of a flush, imo. Sometimes, due to old age, this can happen anyway.

When you say you lost OD, are you saying 4th gear is gone, or are you saying the TCC won't lock up? If you cannot drive in 4th gear at all, I say it's time for a rebuild or replacement. Or you can drive in 3rd and try to milk the trans until it dies... shouldn't hurt the engine to do this for short drives.

If you are able to drive in 4th, but TCC won't lock up (No overdrive), you could keep driving in this condition for quite a while at slightly higher RPM. Mine has been operating in this condition for a couple months now. I don't get optimum fuel economy, and trans fluid is hotter than normal, but at speed it stays cool this time of year. Actually, gas mileage is much better than I'd expected. Sometimes, the solenoid actually will catch and TCC seems to lock for short periods. Otherwise the trans operates normal in my case.

I don't think the code you see is transmission-related, but I'd get it fixed first just to see. I like to eliminate obvious problems first, then trouble shoot. Being a Series I, the trans uses vacuum to change gears, so maybe it could have something to do with it. Maybe a vacuum leak is causing both problems? And you never know, the transmission problem may heal itself. Sometimes debris can shift in the valvebody, allowing the system to work again. Or, it could self-destruct the next time you throw it into gear. It's really hard to tell with no codes or without tearing down the unit.

Currently, I've been driving around, saving up cash. When it dies, I'm getting a new one. Until then, I'm going to milk it for as long as I can.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
heyzelchi
Amateur

PostSubject: re   I think it's time for a new Tranny... EmptySun Dec 23, 2007 6:45 pm

I'm having the same problems with my 95 riv but I want to know what's the going price for getting a transmission rebuild
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: I think it's time for a new Tranny...   I think it's time for a new Tranny... EmptySun Dec 23, 2007 7:19 pm

I was quoted about $2200 from INTENSE Racing for a rebuild on my Series II.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
heyzelchi
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: I think it's time for a new Tranny...   I think it's time for a new Tranny... EmptySun Dec 23, 2007 7:28 pm

shit I love my 95 riv sc but I would just get a new car for that price and I only paid 2100 for my riv but I was quoted for a new tranny from aamco between 1500 to 1800
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: I think it's time for a new Tranny...   I think it's time for a new Tranny... EmptySun Dec 23, 2007 8:08 pm

I think Ed Morad has a few for less $. Not a bad deal from Aamco, though. Most of what it costs for a rebuild is labor. If you're going to pull it out, might as well replace with new or reconditioned, imo.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: I think it's time for a new Tranny...   I think it's time for a new Tranny... EmptySun Dec 23, 2007 8:34 pm

1500-1800 for a brand new tranny sounds pretty good to me. If you're a good shadetree mechanic you can probably replace the unit as a whole yourself.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: I think it's time for a new Tranny...   I think it's time for a new Tranny... EmptySun Dec 23, 2007 9:30 pm

I did a transaxle swap on a '95 for my brother a couple of years ago, it was a little more than a one day job, for me anyway, but it is doable. The shop manual was a good thing to have for sure. I think he got it off of eBay for around $250 including shipping, from a 60,000 mile car and it worked until he quit driving it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
BKRIV
Enthusiast
BKRIV

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: I think it's time for a new Tranny...   I think it's time for a new Tranny... EmptyWed Dec 26, 2007 11:42 pm

flushing most likely disloged some dirt that's making a solenoid valve slow to react, 95-97 used a 4T60 transaxle and 98/99 went with a more robust 4T65 but not to worry there are a number of 4T60's with well over 100k with no problems but the valve body sucked air...I have a feeling that changing the valve body assembly will solve your problem for around 400 bucks so before you go with a complete new transmission, look into it...they can be changed out without removing the tranny from the carand it's not that hard with the correct manual so you know just what bolts to remoove, having a pro do it might cost a little more but it's the r&r that costs the big money...good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I think it's time for a new Tranny...   I think it's time for a new Tranny... Empty

Back to top Go down

I think it's time for a new Tranny...
Page 1 of 1