Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

tie rod replacement

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
sketchydelux
Rookie
sketchydelux

Merit : 0

tie rod replacement Empty
PostSubject: tie rod replacement   tie rod replacement EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 12:28 pm

how diy is this for a person decently equipt with tool?

is there a manual/write-up i can refer to ?

any notes from ones that have done both inner and outer ?
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: tie rod replacement   tie rod replacement EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 1:08 pm

It's very easy to do the outer tie rods. You need a socket wrech for the lower nut, pliers to remove the cotter pin first, then either a ball joint splitter bar (you can rent from autoparts store cheaply) or, I use, a 5lb hammer and pop the tie rod out of the spindle. After that just unscrew the tie rod end and replace with new. Don't forget to grease the new ends. You will need a wheel alignment afterwards.

I do not have any experience with the inner and am curious myself. By the design of it I doubt any of these would fail. If it is easy, I will probably do mine.
Back to top Go down
sketchydelux
Rookie
sketchydelux

PostSubject: Re: tie rod replacement   tie rod replacement EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 1:50 pm

yeah, i was in a bad siuation with a flat, so i had to drive on the rim

when i went to park it (on the pure rim lol) i bent and snapped the outter

i can imagine that i have to change teh whole thing

doh!
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: tie rod replacement   tie rod replacement EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 3:11 pm

The outer tie rod attaches directly to the inner so if you have bent something I would bet its the inner. Outer is more or less a cap and is a little robust. Inner goes from the steering rack directly to the outer which screws on the end.
Back to top Go down
sketchydelux
Rookie
sketchydelux

PostSubject: Re: tie rod replacement   tie rod replacement EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 4:19 pm

tie rod replacement Es3103-1

the threaded part (inner tie rod ?) was bent and sheared off right before the tie rod end

is the rack strong enough to do that without addtional damage to the rack?

i turned the wheel and there was no problem/noises/fluid split/ so im guessing so

i hope i can salvage the tie rod end

H E L P!!!
Back to top Go down
sketchydelux
Rookie
sketchydelux

PostSubject: Re: tie rod replacement   tie rod replacement EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 4:41 pm

i guess there is a tool

tie rod replacement 62096

"Inner Tie Rod Tool
# Works on GM & Chrysler vehicles w/ Saginaw steering gear assemblies.
# Can work on inner tie rods without removing the steering gear, & cut up to 2 1/2 hours off the job at the same time!
# The special design has a dual purpose; the outer tube supports the steering rack, preventing damage to the pinion gear, & the inner socket fits on the tie rod end.
# 1/2" drive removes the tie rod."
Back to top Go down
sketchydelux
Rookie
sketchydelux

PostSubject: Re: tie rod replacement   tie rod replacement EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 5:20 pm

Automotive Forums > Buick > Regal - Replacing inner tie rod

" http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t624295.html "

"The inner is a PITA DIY. Instead of wasting time and possibly money trying to the replace the inner tie rod you might consider just getting a remanufactured rack and pinion unit. I do not believe it is a good idea doing the work while the rack and pinion is installed in the car but you never know."

woah this seams as if it can be much simpler

You could try it but I would recommend getting a GM service manual which will cover access, how to remove the protective boot and how it connects to the rack and any staking procedure if necessary.

"They have a flat spot on the shaft which you can use a large open end or crescent to hold it steady. This is critical as if it is turned you will have to buy a rebuilt unit. Instructions come with the inner tie rod. Check how they are held in place a pin or another way. You need a long socket as the rod is fairly long. Available at a parts store. They also have a torque spec.You can use two open ends but takes longer. Measure the number of threads left on the outer tie rod before you loosen the lock nut. Disconnect the outer tie rod and start the process. I have a tie rod bar and I check the toe in when I'm done. Mark it before you start and put it back the same way.
If you aren't careful you could easily be a 1 inch out. This puts tremendous stress on all parts. I would take two one quart oil jugs. This is for height and use a tape measure across the front of the tires center tread write this down. and when done put it back the same.
It isn't really hard but it might worry you the first time. Also inspect it before you go to the parts store as if any seals are leaking you need a rebuilt unit."

insight from enthusiasts would be appreciated afro
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tie rod replacement   tie rod replacement Empty

Back to top Go down

tie rod replacement
Page 1 of 1