Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Anyone have aftermarket seats

Go down 
+5
matt270avian
99Rivman
Andysdorm
palermocorey90
ewolfe0050
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

Anyone have aftermarket seats Empty
PostSubject: Anyone have aftermarket seats   Anyone have aftermarket seats EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 3:21 pm

Thinking about putting in aftermarket seats to free up some weight. I will have them reupholstered to match the interior and might even re-foam the rear seats so they match the aftermarket seat contours a little more. I am the only one who drives my car so I was thinking about going with a one piece design on a plate that will tilt up when someone needs to get into the back although there are plenty of tilting seats available. Even found some inexpensive heated seat kits that I might do as well. Anyone know how much our factory seats weight. It's got to be nearing 100lbs with all the features. Does anyone have aftermarket seats?
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have aftermarket seats   Anyone have aftermarket seats EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 3:37 pm

what do you mean by after market, like racing seats or what
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
Andysdorm
Aficionado
Andysdorm

Name : Andrew
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have aftermarket seats   Anyone have aftermarket seats EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 3:50 pm

Is there a good brand of general seat that's not racing style? Like not Recaro unless they offer a normal seat.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/671386
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have aftermarket seats   Anyone have aftermarket seats EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 3:52 pm

I was thinking about the Recaro Speed, Corbeau Forza or Clubman, and the Sparco Fighter styles...
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 90

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have aftermarket seats   Anyone have aftermarket seats EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 4:04 pm

You might check with Ed Morad about the weight, he has a few seats on eBay right now and says shipping would be approximately $100 to $150 so he might have an idea about the weight for shipping purposes?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have aftermarket seats   Anyone have aftermarket seats EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 11:55 pm

Question. Has anyone ever taken the stock leather (this applies mainly to the more "colorful" interiors) and used it on a set of new seats? As in pulling it all off the original seat, cutting it to size, and throwing it over the new seat and stitching it in place.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have aftermarket seats   Anyone have aftermarket seats EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 1:35 am

Going out on a limb and saying no one's done that yet.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have aftermarket seats   Anyone have aftermarket seats EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 2:03 pm

I had the skins of a 98 driver seat transferred onto my original 97 seat assembly in an upholstery shop. It seemed like too much for me to try to do. There's metal stitches and stuff. It's not a very clean simple process. I wouldn't go that rout again I don't think. I lost my heated seat because there's an extra layer of material between the elements and the leather I guess so you could say that was a complication.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have aftermarket seats   Anyone have aftermarket seats EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 2:51 pm

turtleman wrote:
I had the skins of a 98 driver seat transferred onto my original 97 seat assembly in an upholstery shop. It seemed like too much for me to try to do. There's metal stitches and stuff.

Hog rings. They still use them today. Our tri guy is constantly replacing heating elements and such. He LOVES playing with those hog rings lol. There's a "special" tool specifically made for them. If you just try to rip them out, you rip the upholstery in the process.
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

Name : Chris Davis
Merit : 19

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have aftermarket seats   Anyone have aftermarket seats EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 4:58 pm

You should be able to buy the hog ring tool at the hardware store. I think that's where I got mine when I did my Camaro seats. I used big hog rings though. Probably a mistake if I ever want to redo them again. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't coming apart when I did it.  wink 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have aftermarket seats   Anyone have aftermarket seats Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone have aftermarket seats
Page 1 of 1