Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)

Go down 
+18
Eldo
LaFlare
Rickw
GMFreak8
Ridin-Rivi
DanHnat
lionfish
texasfan010
jordynarz
54_nailhead
albertj
deekster_caddy
T Riley
Mr.Riviera
AA
mr riviera
Sag
cragmor
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
cragmor
Amateur

Name : Jerry
Merit : 0

Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) Empty
PostSubject: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptyTue Oct 30, 2007 3:37 pm

I know that I have a leaky master cylinder, and plan to replace it soon. When the fluid starts to get low, the light on the dash comes on, and annoys the hell out of me. I add fluid, all is well for a week or so. Sometimes, I get in, and I bump the emergency pedal, and it will light up the dash.
Today, I was a little low on fluid, the light just came on, so I put some in, but the light has not gone off. I stopped after a bit, and checked. Still has plenty of fluid, does not appear to have dropped any. Emergency pedal is up. Car has fresh pads for about 1k miles.
Any thoughts while I am at work without my manual?
Back to top Go down
Sag
Enthusiast
Sag

Name : Martin

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptyTue Oct 30, 2007 3:40 pm

this sound, I know it's really annoying.Just try to put some more it worked for me now it's just over the mark and everything ok.
good luck
Back to top Go down
cragmor
Amateur

Name : Jerry

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptyTue Oct 30, 2007 3:42 pm

Did not want to say this, but I did accidentally over fill it. Had my eyes dialated, and missed the mark. Did not over flow it, just filled it up to the neck. Gonna have to find out how to disable the ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding
Back to top Go down
Sag
Enthusiast
Sag

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptyTue Oct 30, 2007 3:45 pm

find the buzzer and cut the wire(weel maybe it will also stob buzz
when you forgot your flashers)ding,ding,ding......
Back to top Go down
mr riviera
mr riviera

Name : Pat

PostSubject: brake light and chime during traction loss   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptySat Mar 01, 2008 7:13 pm

Hi , im curious why the red brake light in the tempature gauge and warning chime come on during a traction loss situation on my 98 .
it never happened on my 97 and its rather annoying , if i turn off the traction controll id doesnt happen ....
thanks

hmm looks like i posted in wrong section .... o well
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptySat Mar 01, 2008 7:55 pm

I'd have the parking brake checked out. That's a symptom of having the parking brake engaged while driving.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
mr riviera
mr riviera

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptySat Mar 01, 2008 8:06 pm

whom ever moved this ... thanks lol ....

yea i thought that too , but i cant figure it out
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptySat Mar 01, 2008 8:31 pm

and the level in the resov is high enough? maybe the fluid line that runs to the trac motor is cloged? can you see brake fluid in the little container down on the motor?

Back to top Go down
mr riviera
mr riviera

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptySat Mar 01, 2008 8:41 pm

ill look ... the main resovoir is full .... never know it was that complicated a system , i just thought is was a quirk/trait that the 98's had that the 97's didnt .... you know how the average (62 year old )
buick driver might not be aware that hes loosing traction ...........
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptySun Mar 02, 2008 12:19 am

mine does the same thing every now and then
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 8:29 am

I've never had a light come on during a low-traction situation. I'd guess you are low on brake fluid... sometimes it's hard to see the true level through the side of the reservoir, have you checked with the cap off?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 8:58 am

Mr Riviera - for your diagnosis

1) check brake fluid level pronto, and *also* check for leaks at wheel cylinders (lines and bleeder screws) and on brake lines especially where exposed to road grit and salt spray from tires. Other than obvious wetness, any accumulation of moist dirt may indicate a leak - you'll have to clean and check.

2) while parked, engage and disengage the praking brake as you usually do. Then (most likely with your toe) lift UP on the parking brake. If the pedal can be moved toward you, your pedal return spring has probably weakened with time and probably should be replaced.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
mr riviera
mr riviera

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 12:37 pm

e brake works correctly , res is full . its gotta be a t/c issue beacuse if i turn it off and loose traction it doesnt happen ....
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 1:32 pm

It could be a problem with your ABS head then. The TC uses the ABS unit to brake the slipping wheel. Have you tried a full-brake-pedal lock up stop? (Be Careful and Watch out for flying interior objects) If my theory is right, that should also cause your light to come on. Do it in an empty parking lot in case it causes you to lose control (ABS works for one wheel but another locking up could send you into a spin)
Back to top Go down
mr riviera
mr riviera

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 1:55 pm

abs works correctly too , weve had lots of snow this year ...
i just did another test car DOES NOT chime while going foreward or backwards with break on ... thats odd too. suppsed to chime then ??
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 2:14 pm

Try depressing parking brake, than release, but leave your toe on it so that it is barely dragging. You can drive the car with the ability to use the p-brake manually (like a hand brake). This is when the bell will come on. I think you have to be going a certain speed for a period of time.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Sag
Enthusiast
Sag

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 3:00 pm

As soon as the track control engage and the inj pulse slows if i persist to make it loose it's track (like on ice)the brake light shows(and ding)it stays on till i left throttle then it shut.(the level is ok and brakes new)i always think it was normal.
Back to top Go down
mr riviera
mr riviera

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 12:08 am

yes sag ... same here . yes to AA didnt chime in driveway but out on the road it chimed when i was at speed
im gonna try to hold my foot under the e brake and break it loose to see if that helps , was gonna do it today but it was 55 and dry . tomorrows gonna be like 30 + snowy so well see
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 5:15 pm

what AA was trying to get across, I think, is that there's a time delay and speed measurement here, before the bell comes on.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
mr riviera
mr riviera

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 7:15 pm

Problem solved .... sucked out the resovoir and refilled with fresh , all better
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 7:28 pm

So this points to low fluid level. I don't think the sensors can tell if the fluid is bad.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 7:30 pm

could have been an air buble on the sensor. i've had that happen before, but only after doing brake work on the car.

Back to top Go down
54_nailhead
Enthusiast
54_nailhead

Name : Luke
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 7:38 pm

I just started having this problem today with my car under hard acceleration. I haven't checked my fluid level in the resivor yet but could if it's a little low and the fluid moves suddenly under hard acceleration could that set off the light in the dash and the bell. As soon as I let off the accelerator it stops.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 7:49 pm

That sounds like the same problem.
Back to top Go down
54_nailhead
Enthusiast
54_nailhead

Name : Luke
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 7:55 pm

Thanks, I'll check it out tomorrow when I'm putting in my new spark plugs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)   Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding) Empty

Back to top Go down

Brake Light and Chime (ding-ding-ding)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next