Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Shock top ends (mounts)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

Shock top ends (mounts) Empty
PostSubject: Shock top ends (mounts)   Shock top ends (mounts) EmptySun May 11, 2008 10:05 pm

I guess that's what they're called (Sorry, not that knowledgable about the correct terms). My question is regarding the rubber on the top where it all hooks up. Is there a way to just replace that rubber? Mine is all split and cracked and I'm thinking that is what makes my car sometimes groan when going over bumps with the front end. Even if it isn't, I know it shouldn't be all split and cracked and could certainly use replacing. The weird thing is, it doesn't always groan when I go over speed bumps, just sometimes. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Shock top ends (mounts)   Shock top ends (mounts) EmptySun May 11, 2008 10:12 pm

Shock mount (rear) or strut mount (front). Should be replaced when you change shocks or struts.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Shock top ends (mounts)   Shock top ends (mounts) EmptySun May 11, 2008 10:19 pm

Could be lots of things, or a combination. Best bet is to replace one part at a time until the noise goes away, or take to a trusted mechanic for an inspection.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Shock top ends (mounts)   Shock top ends (mounts) EmptySun May 11, 2008 10:22 pm

could be the strut top mounts, or the bearings, or something else. the mounts are like $180 each! and i need some too, but at that price they will have to wait.

Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Shock top ends (mounts)   Shock top ends (mounts) EmptySun May 11, 2008 10:49 pm

Ouch, yep I think I'll just listen to the groaning. I don't really have money to spare right now, I just figured maybe since they're just rubber pieces they wouldn't be super expensive (Silly me bonk).
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Shock top ends (mounts)   Shock top ends (mounts) EmptyMon May 12, 2008 8:12 am

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm
has them for $85 each (i am assuming they are sold a 1)

or rockauto has cheapo;s for $62
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1022038,parttype,7600

i'd spring for the KYB or MOOG kits though (~$85)

Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Shock top ends (mounts)   Shock top ends (mounts) EmptyMon May 12, 2008 8:14 am

so my original price up there (180) is for roughly both front, not each. my bad.

Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Shock top ends (mounts)   Shock top ends (mounts) EmptyMon May 12, 2008 3:23 pm

Ah, that's not so bad. What all would it involve to replace? Would I need to take a whole lot of stuff off to do it?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Shock top ends (mounts)   Shock top ends (mounts) EmptyMon May 12, 2008 3:43 pm

Shintsu wrote:
Ah, that's not so bad. What all would it involve to replace? Would I need to take a whole lot of stuff off to do it?

see KYB write up
not too hard if you have tools and patience.

Back to top Go down
'96reese
Fanatic

Name : Reese
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Shock top ends (mounts)   Shock top ends (mounts) EmptyMon May 12, 2008 6:13 pm

i would strongly reccomend that you DONT try to compress the strut with a strut compressor that is not bolted to the wall. jus take the strut assemble off and take it to your local mechanic shop see if you can talk them into doing it for you in exchange for a nice cold case of beer or money. while you're at it you might as well replace the strut and the lower rubber spring insulator. i really do wish they made quick struts for our cars.

it's not too hard to remove the strut assembly, jus unbolt the 3 bolts on the top and the 2 bolts that hook up to the steering knuckle. jus leave that nut alone that bolts the strut to the bearing plate.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Shock top ends (mounts)   Shock top ends (mounts) EmptyMon May 12, 2008 9:51 pm

I wouldn't say it's that bad. I did mine with no help or experience, and didn't kill or injure myself. You just have to treat the operation with the respect it deserves and absolutely not rush it. I had my car down for a couple days, which isn't a problem for me but could be for others.

Shintsu it may also be necessary to put in cam bolts in place of one (each side) of the big bolts that hold the strut to the control arm. These are about 30ish more. I used NAPA's since they were stouter and all metal. You won't really know if you need them or not until you take the car to be aligned. Maybe you'll luck out and have enough adjustment to get aligned without the cam bolts, but if not you'll have to pull the wheels again and put them in. And then you have to hope your alignment guy knows how to use them. Don't let them go drilling out your control arms, either way (with or without cam bolts).
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Shock top ends (mounts)   Shock top ends (mounts) EmptyMon May 12, 2008 11:13 pm

Yeah see now I didn't want to remove the spring and all that. If it were that involved I would go ahead and put in new struts but that's why I'm not doing that. I didn't know if I could maybe replace it by just undoing stuff under the hood and popping it off and putting a new one on. Thanks for the tips guys, if I ever do it I'll be sure to check here again. I can't not have my car for that long and especially just to replace something that I can get by without replacing.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Shock top ends (mounts)   Shock top ends (mounts) EmptyTue May 13, 2008 1:26 pm

My 2 cents, you should fix and replace everything as soon as problems pop up if not sooner. If you don't they build up and then you are looking at a big bill, or the amount of work is overwhelming and you start thinking "What I really need is a new car." Even more $$.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shock top ends (mounts)   Shock top ends (mounts) Empty

Back to top Go down

Shock top ends (mounts)
Page 1 of 1