Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

I'm sorry

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

I'm sorry Empty
PostSubject: I'm sorry   I'm sorry EmptyMon Jul 07, 2008 1:16 pm

I know our cars share a torque axis mount and I've kinda hinted that a couple of you should realize it's not that hard to change a belt and just man up to the job.

Well this weekend I had the pleasure of learning something about the Riviera TA mount. The bottom bolt that comes out in order to put the belt in hits the freaking body! In the Bonnie it clears and it's not that hard of a job. You guys have a slightly different body side mount and we had to lower the motor a little in order to slide out the stud.

The upside is ..now I know all you guys need to do is remove the main TA bolt first, then lower the motor slightly and remove that stud. Sorry to say... it's only 1 more step. (Stil sucks though)
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

I'm sorry Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm sorry   I'm sorry EmptyMon Jul 07, 2008 4:42 pm

Seems there's always something to make working on the Rivs a bit more complicated. For the infrequent occassion that I'll need to change belts, I'll also make a point of changing the lower SC idler pulley while I'm in there. Which means I HAVE to remove that entire mount, to get at that pulley. Of course in the event of a mishap resulting in premature belt failure, I'll certainly take the "belt-only" shortcut, it's a no-brainer.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

I'm sorry Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm sorry   I'm sorry EmptyMon Jul 07, 2008 5:13 pm

It's _only_ one more step, but it's the step that requires some kind of hoist. First time I did one I was mid-job and used a board and floor jack. Ended up doing the oil pan gasket 3 months later. Don't do that!!
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

I'm sorry Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm sorry   I'm sorry EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 12:02 am

i always use a 2x4 and jack to support it. never had a problem.

last time it took me just over an hour to do the belts on a riv, i've even done them in a parking lot, with the stock tire jack (upside down to support the engine), and always just hand tools. belts dont scare me anymore on these cars lol

Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

I'm sorry Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm sorry   I'm sorry EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 7:28 am

Odd that you mention the pan gasket. The Bonnie shares the same plastic crappy gasket (from the factory) and the FSM says to just the jack and board method on the pan.

In Oldsman's case, he has switched over to the 00+ Bonne structural aluminum pan. Yes structural, they use it for two of the three bolts for the motor mount.. Jacking is not a concern with his pan.

Overall though..I simply didn't realize they could make that bracket any worse to deal with....lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I'm sorry Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm sorry   I'm sorry Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm sorry
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: