Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Powersteering maybe?

Go down 
+4
96RIVMANN
manofmany
Chicken
Mattox23
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mattox23
Special
Mattox23

Name : Jourdan
Merit : 0

Powersteering maybe? Empty
PostSubject: Powersteering maybe?   Powersteering maybe? EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 7:01 pm

Hey all ive been noticeing that when i turn my steering wheel sometimes I get a kinda of rubbing sound its not really a grinding so rubbing is the best way to descibe it. Just was wonder if anyone had any simular issues. I was thinking powersteering fluid was low but i filled it and same issue
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3102914
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Powersteering maybe?   Powersteering maybe? EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 7:07 pm

Sounds like the bearings are going...you probably need to replace the whole unit...I never done it so I can't help, but I'm sure the other guys here can give you better info...
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Powersteering maybe?   Powersteering maybe? EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 7:08 pm

are you totally cranking the steering wheel? Because I think if you max it that sound is normal
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Powersteering maybe?   Powersteering maybe? EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 8:23 pm

Your intermediate shaft may need lubed up or it could even be your strut mounts
Back to top Go down
96RIVMANN
Fanatic
96RIVMANN

Name : Paul
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Powersteering maybe?   Powersteering maybe? EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 8:33 pm

It's a common problem with the Riv. My '96 does it as well.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Powersteering maybe?   Powersteering maybe? EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 8:43 pm

FROM: :: General Tech :: Brakes & Suspension :: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?
99Rivman wrote:
Jason wrote:
It is quite common with GM's power steering. There was a TSB out on the subject:

Make : BUICK
Model : RIVIERA
Year : 1998
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

Service Bulletin Num : 990232007
Date of Bulletin: SEP 01, 1999
NHTSA Item Number: 608376
Component: STEERING
Summary:
THIS BULLETIN ADDRESSES CONCERNS OF STEERING VIBRATION / SHUDDER / MOAN DURING PARKING MANEUVERS ON DRY PAVEMENT

It's not a warranty thing at this point but I'm sure the dealer would be more than happy to sell you the $200 plus worth of hoses and fix it for you.
I have the service bulletin here somewhere it lists all the part numbers to make the change. It has got something to do with changing the pressure by varying the size of the hose? I can't remember which year it is but one of them is completely rerouted on the subframe? I think it was the '95 that got both new hoses and rerouted and the '99 was a replacement pressure hose only.
It does it in both my '95 and my '99 to a point, but I couldn't see spending the money as it is very minor and only when turning when stopped.
99Rivman wrote:
I finally found the service bulletin, looked all the places it should have been and couldn’t locate it, then found it somewhere it didn’t belong!
I got it backwards on the replacement hoses in my last post though. It is the '99 only that requires rerouting, new clips, and drilling new holes to mount them.

The bulletin I have is dated, Jan 31, 2001:
I only listed the Riviera since that is all the info we need, RIGHT! wink

Condition
Some customers may comment on a steering vibration, shudder or moan noise when steering during parking maneuvers on dry pavement.

Correction
Install a new power steering pressure (inlet) hose assembly on the following vehicles:
- 1995 – 98 Buick Riviera
- P/N 26059162 PS Pressure/Inlet Hyd Hose Assembly (with Magna Steer)
Install a new power steering pressure (inlet) and return (outlet) hose assembly on the following vehicles:
- 1999 Buick Riviera
- P/N 26079289 PS Pressure/Inlet Hyd Hose Assembly (with Magna Steer)
- P/N 25727230 PS Return/Outlet Hyd Hose Assembly (with Magna Steer)

The bulletin goes through diagnosis, repair, and warranty information. It says it should take .6 hours on the ‘95-‘98 and 1.1 hours on the ’99.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Powersteering maybe?   Powersteering maybe? EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 9:26 pm

My wifes 99 Riv does this.

Drive It.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Powersteering maybe?   Powersteering maybe? EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 3:55 pm

My '98 has a little groan sometimes in parking lot turns. Has for 5+ years. I choose to ignore it.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Powersteering maybe?   Powersteering maybe? EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 10:49 pm

Mine really does not do this at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Powersteering maybe?   Powersteering maybe? Empty

Back to top Go down

Powersteering maybe?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: