Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

parking brake

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
lyonsperformance
Enthusiast
lyonsperformance

Name : Michael
Merit : 0

parking brake Empty
PostSubject: parking brake   parking brake EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 7:56 am

pedal sank to the floor when i parked on an incline, i felt the cable brake, i dont realy care about the pedal itself, im more annoyed at the random chime from the warning light, is there any way to get rid of the chiming noise?
Back to top Go down
jamie
Fanatic
jamie

Name : Jamie
Merit : 1

parking brake Empty
PostSubject: Re: parking brake   parking brake EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 8:28 am

I got rid of my noise when the cable broke on me simply by disengaging the pedal (click it down and bring it back up).
Back to top Go down
http://www.vancehanesautoparts.com
lyonsperformance
Enthusiast
lyonsperformance

Name : Michael
Merit : 0

parking brake Empty
PostSubject: Re: parking brake   parking brake EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 4:59 pm

i did, it actually keeps chiming, because of the vibration of the road, it only falls about a centimeter and then the chime starts.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

parking brake Empty
PostSubject: Re: parking brake   parking brake EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 6:23 pm

Usually, repairing the e-brake cable is not terribly expensive - GM used the same scheme on lots of cars. It's not dirt cheap but it's not like the ABS motor died...

so...

Why not just get the new cable? You should be able to have an independent mechanic put on a new one for the cable price and an hour or less labor.

First, there's no way the entire cable broke - it's in 4 parts (the front, the 'intermediate' cable, the driver-side-rear and passenger-side rear. If you look under the car you'll see which cable broke. Given your location (Buffalo) I suspect it may actually be that a bracket rusted and snapped - a bodyshop can repair that (weld on a bracket that will work) without too much trouble.

Second - suppose it is a cable - NONE of those cables goes for more than $27.00 And if you buy the Raybestos one now, they throw in a free backpack adn a chance to win a laptop computer (go figure).

I'm not your parent and I sure as h*** can't tell you how to manage your money - I guess the point is that for my money I'd just get the thing fixed. To get an idea of how much you're in for, look under the car and see which cable (or bracket) broke. if it is a bracket you're in for a couple hours of shop time and some misc. parts. If it is a cable, about an hour of shop time plus the parts. Figure shop time at a dealer at about $80 - $90/hour, less at most independent garages.

If you think about it, fully functioning brakes are the most important system on a vehicle. If you are driving it and you can't stop it, you have essentially no defence in an accident if you had any chance of avoiding it. I would hate to see some sharpie litigator hang you or any other list member by the short and curlies over something like this.

See, you're responsible for this whether you know about it or not - since you know it's busted (this is why it's designed to ping at you) you are clearly responsible - so if I were you I'd go get it fixed, pronto, so you don't get snared.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

parking brake Empty
PostSubject: Re: parking brake   parking brake EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 8:05 pm

Or you could use a bungie cord...
Back to top Go down
lionfish
Enthusiast
lionfish

Merit : 5

parking brake Empty
PostSubject: Re: parking brake   parking brake EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 8:52 pm

Back in May the same thing happened to me, I pushed the parking brake to the floor and it stayed there. The cable did not break and I had to use a screw driver to get it to release. I purchased a new parking brake assembly from GM Parts Direct.

Part: 25658073*
Category: Parking Brake Apply
Description: LEVER
Min.Qty: 1
Unit Price: $30.46

After I removed the old unit I noticed that the spring broke.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

parking brake Empty
PostSubject: Re: parking brake   parking brake EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 4:13 am

Yeah... I noticed on another thread that you (Michael) recently laid out nearly a grand for some other repairs... I feel for you... it's just that this e-brake thing is important, and odds are when you look at it it will turn out it's not that bad. You pointed out that you got the Riv recently and it's not uncommon to have to make up for a previous owners' procrastination... may be a while to get it straight, may be kind of costly becuase it's a luxury car that has not been in production for a while, and we all hope nothing else breaks on you in the meantime.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

parking brake Empty
PostSubject: Re: parking brake   parking brake Empty

Back to top Go down

parking brake
Page 1 of 1