Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Which tires work best?

Go down 
+65
matt270avian
al_roethlisberger
RidzRiv
crstump
Ron's Rocket Riv
The Roadmaster
otto95
nvsteve
LT1Squirrel
ghpcnm
flyineagle96
Jayrydingslab
florence_x
Snowdog
L8-2BNGO
DEMonte1997
1wickedninja
LARRY70GS
Hometown Hero
ibmoses
IBx1
Wolfmaster579
mr riviera
robotennis61
GMFreak8
sdconcepts
lyonsperformance
EatDirtFartDust
EASHER
greg_anderson_78
98RiviSC
Sweepspear
curious riv
#1BearsFan
96RIVMANN
L67
sburch23
rivparadise
Rickw
Straighteight
nothincame2mind
darren
TonySmooth89
1998 Riv
ewolfe0050
Andysdorm
Sag
'96reese
54_nailhead
deekster_caddy
Jason
albertj
Jack the R
racinfan
turtleman
SpaceBar
jax95riv
RhinoFLA
pwmin
T Riley
98riv
Mr.Riviera
AA
69 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 7:49 pm

I work at an auto detail shop and most of the Micheline tires i see have cracks in them. They soak up tire shine so much we sometimes have to go over them 4-5 times before they look good.
Also notice the same thing on the general and goodyear touring series as well. Must be b/c of the hard rubber used.

The previous set of Michelines i had were suposed to be a pretty good touring tire (one of their best at the time) and were rated at 80k miles. i got about 35k on them and hated every bit. they would spin to 40 dry (before i had half the mods i do now) and would track, spin, and hydroplane if i got on it at ANY speed in wet weather.

just my 2cents, but i dont believe their touring series fits our cars/my driving style very well. Now the PS/2 tires are probably pretty good happy

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Well, i read what you had to say about the BFG Traction T/A's and decided to try a set of those this time around.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 8:09 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
I work at an auto detail shop and most of the Micheline tires i see have cracks in them. They soak up tire shine so much we sometimes have to go over them 4-5 times before they look good.
Also notice the same thing on the general and goodyear touring series as well. Must be b/c of the hard rubber used.

Funny you should mention that, my General tires also soak up the tire shine very quickly...didn't do that the first time I used tire shine though.

I'll look into those BFG Traction T/A's in, well, 4 years, I guess! Sorry for being so unknowing on this subject, it's my first car and my first time really thinking about tires...I don't know what the regular maintainance schedule is on tires but I thought that since so much stuff was going wrong with my car I should think of every problem that might come up.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 8:11 pm

I thought you were selling this car.????
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 10:23 pm

Decided against it a while ago.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 10:32 pm

IBx1 wrote:
I don't know what the regular maintainance schedule is on tires

Rotate them every now and then. I like 10,000 miles but technically it's supposed to be more frequently than that. It will keep wear even and road noise down.
Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

Name : The Josh
Location : Somewhere between Sullivan and Saint Peters Missouri.
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 11:12 pm

Spent alot of time thinking about it, and decided on getting some Goodyear Assurance Tripletreds. Chose these over Michelin Hydroedge and Yokohama Advan S.4
Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 11:13 pm

Also, my experience has been Continental, and Michelin seem to be the worst for weather checking (cracking).

Anyone in and around the St. Louis area should get a hold of me for tires. I can get certain tires to you for $5 over cost plus $10 installation each.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 11:25 pm

i run a combo of kumhos and as far as i know i have the only communicating tires in the west. when i corner they sing,when i brake they complement my driving,and when i cruise the highways at speed they keep the rhythm of the highway by playing, rumbdha. ..rumbdha ...rumbdha......rumbdha..i would recommend them to everyone
Back to top Go down
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

Name : Josh
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 1:00 am

i also run BFG Traction T/A's on my riv i haven't had any problems and in my option there good tires. i was also able 2 pull a 2.097 60 foot with a little less mods than i do now with 22psi in the tires.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/1wickedninja
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 4:41 am

I haven't had a chance to try 'em in snow yet, but the Bridgestone Fuzion SRi's that I put on to replace the Firestone Firehawk SH's are pretty good...

The Firehawks had (of course) been discontinued by the time I needed another set. I liked them, though, so I searched for a similar tread pattern in the various Firestone/Bridgestone lines (same company.) Also, for those wondering, the Firehawks had no cracking or checking in the sidewalls, and they were probably at least 6 years old when I wore them out. They looked fine when cleaned with the greatest product ever invented, Eagle One All Tire & Wheel Cleaner... Safe for the chrome rims, and starts pulling the brown crap out of the rubber before you've even finished spraying all the way around the tire!

Anyway, these Fuzions have all the dry and wet traction that the Firehawks had, especially the wet, and they track so tight that you really better be careful with your steering inputs and our fast, straight-ratio steering racks.

The only thing I don't like is that they are noisier brand new than the Firestones were worn out. The car is so aerodynamic and the engine and exhaust noises are so well-controlled that the only thing you hear at 70 mph is the tires... If you have nice new pavement they're hushed, but the typical worn-out roads around hear mean a distinct thrumming from the tires.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 10:24 am

On my stockers I like BFG Traction TAs. They are quiet, give decent traction in all seasons. They last a long time. I have 60,000 on them and they still have 60% tread left. The only issue I have with them is they are directional tires so you can't rotate them from side to side. Only front to back.
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 11:14 am

I'm running General Exclaim UHPs and Love them. Had T/As and really liked them but these tires now have wonderful grip , ride very nice , quiet and are cheap. Can't say much for how they wear yet but at 5 or 6k miles on them they still look fine. I think they only come in 17+ sizes though.
Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 11:23 am

I can get anyone a set of 4 BFG Traction T/A's installed for $379.16, plus tax. (225-60/16) They're the 97/T-rated. The v-rated are discontinued, but I MIGHT be able to still get some.

Last edited by EatDirtFartDust on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

Name : Josh
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 4:12 pm

I wish I lived closer to ya! I'm looking at getting new bfgs installed next weekend. Instaling my KGB struts this weekend so it will need a alliment. And my front bfgs are staring to look like drag radiles! LOL so I figured kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/1wickedninja
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 5:17 pm

1wickedninja wrote:
I wish I lived closer to ya! I'm looking at getting new bfgs installed next weekend. Instaling my KGB struts this weekend so it will need a alliment. And my front bfgs are staring to look like drag radiles! LOL so I figured kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Same here. That's a screaming deal!!!!
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 10:59 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
i run a combo of kumhos and as far as i know i have the only communicating tires in the west. when i corner they sing,when i brake they complement my driving,and when i cruise the highways at speed they keep the rhythm of the highway by playing, rumbdha. ..rumbdha ...rumbdha......rumbdha..i would recommend them to everyone

Gee, those people have natural rhythm, don't they?
Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 12:14 pm

For you guys running 17 inch wheels, I have a set of BFGoodrich g-Force Sport's, 225-50/17 94W for $475.80-installed, before sales tax.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 7:54 pm

Sorry guys I haven't been around much. I just switched jobs and have been extremely busy.

Anyway, I ended up going with the Firestone Winterforce tires on all fours. I got them for $98 installed at a very reasonable local dealer here. Nobody else including tirerack could beat their prices when including mounting.

I'd really hate to drive the Riviera in the winter on the stock tires (which on mine were original according to the date code), even with the winterforce tires the car slides around a lot and just feels unpredictable compared to my old car. Maybe I just have to get used to it though.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 8:41 pm

GMFreak8 wrote:
Sorry guys I haven't been around much. I just switched jobs and have been extremely busy.

Anyway, I ended up going with the Firestone Winterforce tires on all fours. I got them for $98 installed at a very reasonable local dealer here. Nobody else including tirerack could beat their prices when including mounting.

I'd really hate to drive the Riviera in the winter on the stock tires (which on mine were original according to the date code), even with the winterforce tires the car slides around a lot and just feels unpredictable compared to my old car. Maybe I just have to get used to it though.

...actually you need to get the ABS sensor/trac control fixed if you have not yet, that could be a major reason you are unpredictable.

...also, the winterforce are not bad snow tires BUT there are others. I kind of wonder what you thought of the Generals and the Bridgestones.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 10:44 pm

i just bought rims and I'm going to clothe them in, General Grabbers UHP, i know i know they are light truck tires but they are high perf summer tires and do well in the rain(not that it rains in vegas) and last a long time and have excellent handling and grip..... and they look great!
Back to top Go down
L8-2BNGO
Enthusiast

Name : Devin

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 1:16 am

and for 18's you have........... bfg kdw2 in 245/45/18? lol jk
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 8:03 pm

I am running a set of Falken FK452 245 / 35Z / R20. They seem to be a pretty decent tire.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 12:07 pm

albertj wrote:
GMFreak8 wrote:

...actually you need to get the ABS sensor/trac control fixed if you have not yet, that could be a major reason you are unpredictable.

...also, the winterforce are not bad snow tires BUT there are others. I kind of wonder what you thought of the Generals and the Bridgestones.

Albertj

The ABS and Traction control all work fine. I just hate the sound of it. For the price I couldn't beat the winterforce. I'm getting more used to driving it in the snow now. I guess maybe I was just so used to driving my old car, which I still say is the greatest handling snow car I've driven yet. It just seemed much better balanced overall. The Riviera feels like it has tons of weight in the front and absolutely nothing in the rear.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 12:29 pm

ABS & TC make noise normally. Most cars with similar systems make the same noise. I like it because it lets me know when the car is going out of control.

Rivieras are not perfectly balanced, but the weight is more evenly distributed than many FWD cars, including Pontiac GTP and Buick Regal. I have never had the rear end swing out. Many things were done to address this, including the rear mounted battery, dual exhausts, and aluminum hood. A 35 lb trailer hitch installed also helps, imo.

Getting back on subject, running good tires can somewhat make up for less than perfect weight distribution, in my experience.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Which tires work best?   FAQ: Which tires work best? - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Which tires work best?
Page 7 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next