Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Dexron III out Dexron VI in

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BKRIV
Enthusiast
BKRIV

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

Dexron III out Dexron VI in Empty
PostSubject: Dexron III out Dexron VI in   Dexron III out Dexron VI in EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 12:41 pm

Just found this on ALLDATA....REV-ON!!!

1998 Buick Riviera V6-3.8L SC VIN 1
Vehicle Level Transmission and Drivetrain Automatic Transmission/Transaxle Fluid - A/T Technical Service Bulletins A/T - DEXRON(R) VI Fluid Availability

A/T - DEXRON(R) VI Fluid Availability
Notes

Bulletin No.: 04-07-30-037B

Date: June 12, 2006

INFORMATION

Subject:
Release of DEXRON(R) VI Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)

Models:
2007 and Prior Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks
2003-2007 HUMMER H2
2006-2007 HUMMER H3
2005-2007 Saturn Relay
2005 and Prior Saturn L-Series
2005-2007 Saturn ION
2005-2007 Saturn VUE with 4T45-E
2005-2007 Saab 9-7X

Except 2007 and Prior Chevrolet Aveo, Epica, Equinox, Optra
Except 2007 and Prior Pontiac Torrent, Vibe, Wave
Except 2003-2005 Saturn ION with CVT or AF23 Only
Except 1991-2002 Saturn S-Series
Except 2007 and Prior Saturn VUE with CVT, AF33 or 5AT (MJ7/MJ8) Transmission Only

Supercede:

This bulletin is being updated with the 2007 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-07-30-037A (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

DEXRON(R)-VI ATF

General Motors Powertrain has recently upgraded to DEXRON(R)-VI ATF with the start of 2006 vehicle production.

Only 2005 and prior models that currently use DEXRON(R)-III may use DEXRON(R)-VI as a replacement.

All 2006 and future models that use DEXRON(R)-VI are to be serviced with DEXRON(R)-VI fluid only.

DEXRON(R)-VI is an improvement over DEXRON(R)-III in the areas shown.

2006-2007 Transmission Fill and Cooler Flushing

Some new applications of the 6L80 six speed transmission will require the use of J 45096 - Flushing and Flow Tester to accomplish transmission fluid fill. It is highly recommended that the clean oil reserve of the machine be purged of DEXRON(R)-III and filled with DEXRON(R)-VI.

Parts Information

Disclaimer

© 2008 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Dexron III out Dexron VI in   Dexron III out Dexron VI in EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 1:21 pm

I was wondering why you'd want Dexron IV wink
Back to top Go down
BKRIV
Enthusiast
BKRIV

PostSubject: Re: Dexron III out Dexron VI in   Dexron III out Dexron VI in EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 1:03 pm

Derek - supposed to be better overall, less foaming and better lubrication for the differential. I would add that simple draining will only get 1/2 of the fluid and there are several schools of thought when changing tranny fluid as to the "power flush" that's supposed to push all the fluid from the torque converter...it will push most, but can also dislodge other stuff and force small debris into the solenoids...I'm not a big fan of that.

official information on Dexron VI vs. Dexron III H:

Clutch friction stability -- improved 100 %
Clutch Durability due to fluid -- Improved 120%
Oil Film Thickness -- Increased 20%
Fluid Oxidation -- Improved 100%
Foam Aeration -- Improved 150%
Shear Stability -- Improved 200%

Part Number 88861003 (ATF 1 qt bottle)
PN 88861045 (gallon bottle)

The gallons are much cheaper at GM Parts direct.
Back to top Go down
BKRIV
Enthusiast
BKRIV

PostSubject: Re: Dexron III out Dexron VI in   Dexron III out Dexron VI in EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 1:05 pm

wow just see what you meant...not a typist and sort of dyslexic I guess
*DEXRON VI*
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Dexron III out Dexron VI in   Dexron III out Dexron VI in EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 1:17 pm

BKRIV wrote:
wow just see what you meant...not a typist and sort of dyslexic I guess
*DEXRON VI*

wink

I am guilty from time to time too. Just pointing it out is all.

Personally I have always used Mobil1 ATF.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Dexron III out Dexron VI in   Dexron III out Dexron VI in EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 1:25 pm

Hey Bill--

'power flushing' can dislodge stuff and get your solenoids stuck -- but if the tech does it right (many do) and the machine filter is OK (in a good shop it will be) there really should not be a problem. Some techs cut corners by not letting the machine run long enough to get crud/shavings that might be dislodges. Some techs don't have much wisdom about this, either. For instance, a pan that has never been dropped likely has shavings in it. So I am told that on the car's first 'power flush' you drop and rinse the pan, put it back together with old gasket (it will drip), THEN power flush (get it - you don't whip up the stuf that was already in the pan) "by the book." it is an extra step but pretty much gets rid of callbacks and such. How they do the extra first step without getting tranny fluid all over the place I don't know.

I did the Dexron changeover last year, it did not hurt. I wonder if the old fluid was fruit punch, it had started to carmelize (ha ha).

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dexron III out Dexron VI in   Dexron III out Dexron VI in Empty

Back to top Go down

Dexron III out Dexron VI in
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: