Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

quick OBD related question...

Go down 
+2
1998 Riv
KillaKeninaRiv
6 posters
AuthorMessage
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

Name : Kenneth
Merit : 6

quick OBD related question... Empty
PostSubject: quick OBD related question...   quick OBD related question... EmptySun Sep 14, 2008 10:57 pm

alright i have a 1995 riviera, with a 1997 motor in it...so does this still mean i have an OBD I or is it a II since its post 1995?
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: quick OBD related question...   quick OBD related question... EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 12:39 am

I would assume you had to swap electronics over along with the 97 engine, correct? If so, you should be OBD II.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: quick OBD related question...   quick OBD related question... EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 11:14 am

What he said. It has nothing to do with the engine, everything to do with the PCM.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: quick OBD related question...   quick OBD related question... EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 11:40 am

Can you take a picture of your PCM?

Depending on how much detail and wiring swapping happened, your S2 motor could be running on either.
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

PostSubject: Re: quick OBD related question...   quick OBD related question... EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 11:21 pm

BillBoost37 wrote:
Can you take a picture of your PCM?

Depending on how much detail and wiring swapping happened, your S2 motor could be running on either.

shit i could..if i knew where it was! lmao ive probably seen it, but never knew what i was looking at though. i dont get into the electronics on the car, uinless its changing a light lol
Back to top Go down
Buickman104
Enthusiast

Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: quick OBD related question...   quick OBD related question... EmptyTue Sep 16, 2008 1:26 pm

The PCM is behind your glove box. Disassemble your glove box and it should be right behind it. It took me 10 minutes to get a 1997 Riv's pcm out.
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

PostSubject: Re: quick OBD related question...   quick OBD related question... EmptyTue Sep 16, 2008 9:30 pm

oh ok. i went to autozone to do a diagnostic scan today and the lady found a port under the steering wheel side of the dash and hooked the scanner up but i was saying unable to read and she said it might be a bad connection from the computer/harness or whatever. ill get the pictures on here tomorrow of waht she was hooking it up to
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: quick OBD related question...   quick OBD related question... EmptyTue Sep 16, 2008 11:22 pm

That depends - if AZ was trying to use an OBD II scanner for an OBD I PCM, it's not going to work.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: quick OBD related question...   quick OBD related question... EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 3:36 am

Well that's your data port to hook up a scanner, or tuning tool if you had one.

Did you tell her you had a 97 engine in the car, or just that the car is a 95?
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: quick OBD related question...   quick OBD related question... EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 12:11 pm

If she couldn't read it, you are running a 95 pcm.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: quick OBD related question...   quick OBD related question... EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 1:00 pm

Bill, wouldn't they have both OBD I and II scanners? We need to know what he told them he was running, a 95 car, or a 97 engine. Garbage in, garbage out. Holy crap, I learned that phrase in the early 80's... afro
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

PostSubject: Re: quick OBD related question...   quick OBD related question... EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 9:36 am

1998 Riv wrote:
Well that's your data port to hook up a scanner, or tuning tool if you had one.

Did you tell her you had a 97 engine in the car, or just that the car is a 95?

yeah that was the first thing i told her, that i was wondering since the motor was swapped would it make it an OBD II but my original motor was the 95 Series II but was OBD I. when she plugged it in, the scanner wouldnt allow it to read the computer. she said that either its a bad connection or something with the computer from the new motor not matching up or wasnt replaced. is swapping out to a newer pcm easy to do?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: quick OBD related question...   quick OBD related question... EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 9:54 am

No, it's not easy. A newer PCM is also made to control a different transmission. I don't know what trans is in the '95s.

When you swapped engines, did you replace all the sensors?
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: quick OBD related question...   quick OBD related question... EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 10:58 am

1998 Riv wrote:
Bill, wouldn't they have both OBD I and II scanners? We need to know what he told them he was running, a 95 car, or a 97 engine. Garbage in, garbage out. Holy crap, I learned that phrase in the early 80's... afro

Nah, most only have OBD2 scanners because there are fewer and fewer OBD1 cars on the road. In addition it took a certain scanner to read the OBD1 stream on the OBD2 connect. Which is most likely why it wouldn't communicate.
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

PostSubject: Re: quick OBD related question...   quick OBD related question... EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:09 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
No, it's not easy. A newer PCM is also made to control a different transmission. I don't know what trans is in the '95s.

When you swapped engines, did you replace all the sensors?

no we used the original wiring harness. only sensors ive replaced so far are the sensors on the throttle body, and i changed out the fuel injectors since the dummy who put it in used the injectors from the old motor on the new engine and made it sluggish. ever since then, and changing the sensors out, its been fast, but i wanted to know why the SES light is on...possible O2 sensor or something hopefully but my dash cluster where the PRND12 blinks four times when i put it in drive and i dont know what that code is
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: quick OBD related question...   quick OBD related question... EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:47 pm

Was your car originally SC? Is the new motor SC?
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

PostSubject: Re: quick OBD related question...   quick OBD related question... EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 7:36 pm

no both were regular series II motors...however not everything was right because when i changed the exhaust donut gasket they typed in 1995 3.8 and gave me a 2'' gasket and my pipe was 2 1/2 so maybe there is something else going on...
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: quick OBD related question...   quick OBD related question... EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 8:18 pm

My 95PA has a SeriesII engine and the code readers at Autozone wont work...

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

PostSubject: Re: quick OBD related question...   quick OBD related question... EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 12:05 pm

i hope its the type of scanners they use and not something that i neglected. when i head back to the junyard im going to snatch that pcm/ecm whatever it is out if its easily accesible
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: quick OBD related question...   quick OBD related question... EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 8:30 pm

NA?
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

PostSubject: Re: quick OBD related question...   quick OBD related question... EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 8:59 pm

they have both there but i have a NA SII
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: quick OBD related question...   quick OBD related question... Empty

Back to top Go down

quick OBD related question...
Page 1 of 1