Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Next mod...

Go down 
+5
IBx1
Rickw
turtleman
ewolfe0050
TonySmooth89
9 posters

Which mod should i do next
Stage 1 throttle body
Next mod... Vote_lcap0%Next mod... Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Borla exhaust
Next mod... Vote_lcap11%Next mod... Vote_rcap
 11% [ 2 ]
1.9:1 modded stock rockers
Next mod... Vote_lcap53%Next mod... Vote_rcap
 53% [ 10 ]
SSAutochrome headers
Next mod... Vote_lcap26%Next mod... Vote_rcap
 26% [ 5 ]
Intercooler
Next mod... Vote_lcap10%Next mod... Vote_rcap
 10% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 19

AuthorMessage
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

Next mod... Empty
PostSubject: Next mod...   Next mod... EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 7:56 pm

I'm contemplating a few different things to do for mods.

I'll create a poll. I've weighed out some of the costs/benefits but i'd like some additional input.

But here are my ideas so far.

1- Stage 1 TB-
Pros: relatively low cost , easy installation ZZP claims .2 in the 1/4 and 2mph traps , respected member on regalgs.org had similar results , so i don't doubt the claim so much. And probably more blower whine. Looks stock.
Cons: not a huge gain in power , sort of overpriced for what it is.

2- Borla exhaust
Pros , a little more top end , might allow me to pulley down , a little more noise , not labor intensive ( i'd have a shop do it)

Cons: Again not a huge gain in power , would sacrifice some of the quit that i like about the Riv ( most of the time i like it) our engines don't sound that good , negates sleeper effect.

3: Modded 1.9 rockers
Pros: Significant gain in top end , may allow for smaller pulley too, no need to change valve springs.

Cons: Installation ( rear rocker access) potential for valvetrain damage if not installed properly

4: SSAutochrome headers
Pros: cheap headers , make room for future mods , looks cool in engine bay , and cool to say i have headers.

Cons: headers often leak , makes car louder , would it be necessary for my planned mods? would it yield as much of a gain as rockers since i already have a plog/downpipe?

5: Intercooler ( probably SSIC)
Pros; No knock! , allows for small pulley ( more blower whine!) significant gains , it looks cool to see a heat exchanger under a car.

Cons: Potentail for coolant leaks , high difficulty of install ( customizing/modifying , not sealing properly , etc.) Most expensive , would also require new injectors ( also more money)

Basically I'd like to eventually crack a 13.9@100 or so by winter .I'd like to avoid headers since i've already got the plog/downpipe , and its not so much that i feel that they're great , but i think they will support my power goals.( eventually i'd like a 13.7 @103 or so) I'm sort of torn with exhaust mods since sometimes i want more exhaust note and other times i'm glad my car is so quiet. , but they are a possibilty. I'm leaning heavily towards rockers at this point , since i really can't have my car out of service long enough for a cam , or intercooler. and i've heard of too many people spinning bearing after a cam install to feel comfortable about having it done on my only car
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

Next mod... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next mod...   Next mod... EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 8:24 pm

If you ever do a Gen V swap the Stage I TB will need to be replaced with N*. I don't think the Stage I would really make a big difference anyway.

The stock exhaust is pretty free flowing once you open up the manifolds like you have already done a little with the Plog/DP and . I think the most you would notice is a deeper note.

1.9 rockers are good but you probably need to get headers first.

IC won't do anything really until you start dropping pulley sizes. It is more for controlling knock than anything.

If you plan on modding more I would start with the headers- try to find a used set of SLP's.

If you can scan and you aren't seeing any knock, go down a pulley size.

Just my $.02
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

Next mod... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next mod...   Next mod... EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 8:20 am

rockers (if you know for sure you're never doing a cam) i might suggest trying to go for RR tho
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Next mod... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next mod...   Next mod... EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 8:29 am

Can i ask what the N* is. And who the manufacturer is ?
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Next mod... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next mod...   Next mod... EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 8:31 am

If you go with a Gev V the stock TB will not work. You will need to go with a Northstar TB or LS1 TB.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Next mod... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next mod...   Next mod... EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 8:37 am

If you check out www.3800Pro.com there are a couple guys selling their ZZP 1.9 rockers for $150-$200 if you want to go that route. SLP makes a nice set of 1.8 roller rockers too (that's what I am running).
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

Next mod... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next mod...   Next mod... EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 8:41 am

Without much detail or experience on any of these, my unbiased opinion is the rockers. Top end gain, doesn't give itself away, and as long as you know what you're doing during installation it should be fine. Will allow for other mods later.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Next mod... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next mod...   Next mod... EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 7:00 pm

I vote rockers. It's the first thing I did that let me run a 3.4 without KR. I opened up the exhaust later.
Back to top Go down
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

Name : Josh
Merit : 5

Next mod... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next mod...   Next mod... EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 7:12 pm

I would go with rockers that's what I think I'm gonna do after I install my tuned PCM and buy a set of coated plogs!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/1wickedninja
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Next mod... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next mod...   Next mod... EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 7:37 am

Josh,
You dropped pulley to 3.5 before PCM and headers. How did that effect KR?
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Next mod... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next mod...   Next mod... EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 10:10 pm

So interesting results. On regalgs.org they went largely for headers. Here the results went towards rockers. Derek , your choice reassured my theory that i had the exhaust opened up enough to support rockers

AA , do you have any input? I know you've suggested rockers in the past. I don't plan on going too much faster than your times. Maybe like a 13.7 @102 would be enough for me.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

Next mod... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next mod...   Next mod... EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 1:35 pm

If you consider installation to be a "con" for the roller rockers, you will not enjoy installing the headers. Access is fairly difficult. You also have to grind out the slag and might have to re-cut the ends at the cross-over because they may not seal properly.

That being said, since you already have a power log and 3" downpipe, I think you'll see more gains with the rockers than the headers. It would be a good time to change your valve seals while you're in there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Next mod... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next mod...   Next mod... EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 10:41 pm

agree with Jason. Headers really don't do a whole lot until you already have rockers or cam. With rockers, I felt a surge in upper rpm power. The torque seems to shift to above 4k rpm, dyno graph confirms it. Headers just seemed to give me more all around, not as noticeable aside from the sound. Rockers definately change the character of the car's accelaration, whereas headers just made the car feel lighter. Hope that makes sense?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Next mod... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next mod...   Next mod... EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 12:10 am

Yeah that makes sense. Headers increased throttle response , the rockers increased horsepower but had little to no effect on low end. I think i'm sold on rockers. I was leaning towards them anyway , but i wanted to see what some people who had done both said Thanks to everyone for your input. My car has plenty of throttle response as it is , i just want more top end now.
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Next mod... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next mod...   Next mod... EmptySat Oct 11, 2008 12:17 am

So i picked up a set of modded 1.9s for 200 bucks!

Haven't got them yet , but i'm not looking forward to installing the back rockers... I'm sure it'll be worth it though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Next mod... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next mod...   Next mod... Empty

Back to top Go down

Next mod...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: