Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rear spkr probs 95 Riv

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
reb
Special

Merit : 0

Rear spkr probs 95 Riv Empty
PostSubject: Rear spkr probs 95 Riv   Rear spkr probs 95 Riv EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 8:12 pm

I just bought my first Rivera. It is a 95 Supercharged. I cant figure out why the rear speakers are not working. Is there a fuse or something I can check? I have front sound but no rear sound with the fader. Thanks, Ross
Back to top Go down
vendetta
Enthusiast
vendetta

Name : Nick

PostSubject: Re: Rear spkr probs 95 Riv   Rear spkr probs 95 Riv EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 8:42 pm

Have you checked the speakers physically?

how about the wires to the speakers?

or perhaps the previous owner took out the speakers and popped back on the covers?

who knows... too many variables
Back to top Go down
reb
Special

PostSubject: Re: Rear spkr probs 95 Riv   Rear spkr probs 95 Riv EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 10:25 pm

I crawled into the trunk and the speakers are there and look good, wires seem good and unmessed with. I pulled the back seat out and looked at all the fuses and they were all ok.
Back to top Go down
vendetta
Enthusiast
vendetta

PostSubject: Re: Rear spkr probs 95 Riv   Rear spkr probs 95 Riv EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 10:30 pm

but that doesnt mean that they cant be blown?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Rear spkr probs 95 Riv   Rear spkr probs 95 Riv EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 10:31 pm

you r speakers could *easily* be blown anywya.

also you might need to pull the radio and check to see if the plug is in all the way. It could be that the PO had an aftermarket stereo in and put the factory one back inbefore selling the car.

If you search on 'dashboard' eventually you will find some pretty good instructions for removing the dash/radio.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
vendetta
Enthusiast
vendetta

PostSubject: Re: Rear spkr probs 95 Riv   Rear spkr probs 95 Riv EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 2:38 pm

removing the dash/radio is a pain in the ass.... (id change the speakers out before I ever tried taking out the radio lol)
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Rear spkr probs 95 Riv   Rear spkr probs 95 Riv EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 3:20 pm

What you can do is detatch the speaker connectors, remove the speakers and then test them by momentarily connecting to a 9V battery. The cone will move in or out. If it just moves, maybe thumps and does not bind or grind, speaker is probably good. If it seems to bind or grind, press gently on the cone with your fingers. be sure to push straight in and don't tear or dent the cones. This should confirm the grinding. What it usually is is the voice coil (a coil of wire) has come off the speaker cone's back. Time for new speakers. Save the connectors off the old speakers (you can de-solder them off) to put on the new ones - unless you buy speakers from Crutchfield. Crutchfield is a Class Act, they will give you connectors to use so you do not have to cut up your factory wiring.

If the speaker just thumped a little in the battery test, then connect it to a radio or some such and play some music. If the sound is not distorted, speaker is probably good. Then check the wiring, in as much as you can find the part of it that is not hidden. If your speakers are aftermarket look out for wire that got pinched and cut because it was run somewhere it should not have been run.

So, yeah, maybe it's the speakers. I'm suspecting it's a loose connector somewhere.

Oh by the way the rear speakers are supposed to be 8 ohms impedance. Most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohms, the factory radio tolerates that if you don't crank the volume up too loud. but if the volume is too high, with some program material the speakers may start to send induced current back to the radio and can mess it up. (For you electronics geeks - that's DC transients) That is, problem could be that the PO blew the radio playing it too loud, especially if PO also put in low-impedance aftermarket speakers.

Albert
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear spkr probs 95 Riv   Rear spkr probs 95 Riv Empty

Back to top Go down

Rear spkr probs 95 Riv
Page 1 of 1