Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Sounds like a watch being wound?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dj Brady
Enthusiast

Name : Brady
Merit : 0

Sounds like a watch being wound? Empty
PostSubject: Sounds like a watch being wound?   Sounds like a watch being wound? EmptyThu Oct 16, 2008 12:12 am

I hear a sound periodically that will repeat 3 - 8'ish times that sounds like someone winding their watch.. It's always when in motion and I hear it stronger than my wife (recently got married, still fun to say) smile but she says my hearing is bizarrely inhuman... lol..

so.. what is that sound? I figure it's some sensor or relay making adjustments or calibrations on the fly, but I have no way to "create" the sound.. I just hear it while driving most of the time...
Back to top Go down
http://www.328studios.com
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like a watch being wound?   Sounds like a watch being wound? EmptyThu Oct 16, 2008 11:20 am

I'm pretty sure it's the "sniffer" that checks cabin temperature for the HVAC. The port for it is in the dash onteh drivers side. It is a little grille about the size of a quarter.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Dj Brady
Enthusiast

Name : Brady
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like a watch being wound?   Sounds like a watch being wound? EmptyThu Oct 16, 2008 12:27 pm

holy crap! I bet you're right! I'll put my ear to the hole next time I hear it.
I'll be damned.. thanks! That's been driving me nuts for almost a year now.. lol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.328studios.com
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like a watch being wound?   Sounds like a watch being wound? EmptyThu Oct 16, 2008 2:43 pm

I guess it's one of the heater door actuators. I used to say there were little birds under the dash...
Back to top Go down
captshiner
Junkie
captshiner

Name : Andrew
Merit : -1

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like a watch being wound?   Sounds like a watch being wound? EmptyThu Oct 16, 2008 2:45 pm

I've been wondering what that little thing ("sniffer") was but kept forgetting to ask.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572362129
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like a watch being wound?   Sounds like a watch being wound? EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 8:43 am

You can hear the heater doors move by changing the setting of the air flow control, or moving the temperature setting * a lot * in automatic mode to make the car move the heat/cool blend doors.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like a watch being wound?   Sounds like a watch being wound? Empty

Back to top Go down

Sounds like a watch being wound?
Page 1 of 1