Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

EGR delete

Go down 
+4
dreww
turtleman
TonySmooth89
Mr.Riviera
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

EGR delete Empty
PostSubject: EGR delete   EGR delete EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 12:43 am

i did a search and came up with nothing for "egr".

Ever since i can remember my car has made a small exhaust tick from the driver side under low throttle. it never really bothered me, and it was never enough to cause a problem. today i was working on a belt/pulley/tensioner squeak that has been bugging me and i decided to find this leak as well. i found a small crack in the bottom pipe coming off the EGR. and sure enough i can feel exhaust coming from it. so i went out and bought some metal bondo and patched the hole. problem solved. ...then i got to thinking about the EGR delete zzp sells for like $6. (bondo cost me $5 btw)

i was wondering if anyone else has done that.
what are the pro's cons?
so far this is what i have concluded.
Pro's:
less heat entering the intake
small weight reduction (2lbs?)
less clutter in the engine

Cons:
less gas mileage (would it be noticeable?)
takes even longer for the car to warm up
possible SES light (easily fixed)

if anyone has some input, it is greatly appreciated.
Matthew

Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

EGR delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR delete   EGR delete EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 1:02 am

Idk but i can obviously tune out the SES light for you next time you make it up here.

Also one thing to note is if you've taken the SC off lately you'd notice this is a lot of gunk that builds up on it so deleted the EGR would mean a cleaner blower , though whether or not that leads to greater efficiency is beyond me.
I've heard gas mileage is not noticeably worse , and since most of your driving seems to be hard city driving it might night matter at all since egr is only activated at cruise IIRC.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

EGR delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR delete   EGR delete EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 8:01 am

I did that at the same time I did the cam and stuff so I can't really say anything about the gas mileage part but I used both of zzp's plates and they worked fine but you definitely need to use some copper rtv on the manifold one for it to seal.

As for the OBD goes, I just disabled those EGR functions no problem but the only thing you might have to watch out for is I'm not sure if the PCM still recognizes that it hasn't run the EGR tests which should fail you in emissions even though you have no malfunctions. I'm not aware of any way around that besides temporarily reinstalling the EGR system while you take the test (re-enable the malfunctions) or hook up a simulator (zzp).

FYI, if you have your EGR passages sealed off on the blower its self like me, you won't be able to reinstall the EGR system - it will shoot out a "flow insufficient" code.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

EGR delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR delete   EGR delete EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 10:04 am

we dont have emissions testing down here, so that wont be a problem.

Tony, that would be great if you could take that code out too the next time i'm up there for a tune.

do i need 2 of the zzp plates or just one? (can i leave the intake side open like the mustang guys do or do i need to cap it off as well?

i'm still getting like 11mpg city b/c most of it is in 0-60 spirts, so i dont think that would be much effected. however i do like getting 27 highway on the occasion that i take a trip. will that go down more than 2mpg?

Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

EGR delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR delete   EGR delete EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 7:27 pm

turtleman wrote:
I did that at the same time I did the cam and stuff so I can't really say anything about the gas mileage part but I used both of zzp's plates and they worked fine but you definitely need to use some copper rtv on the manifold one for it to seal.

As for the OBD goes, I just disabled those EGR functions no problem but the only thing you might have to watch out for is I'm not sure if the PCM still recognizes that it hasn't run the EGR tests which should fail you in emissions even though you have no malfunctions. I'm not aware of any way around that besides temporarily reinstalling the EGR system while you take the test (re-enable the malfunctions) or hook up a simulator (zzp).

FYI, if you have your EGR passages sealed off on the blower its self like me, you won't be able to reinstall the EGR system - it will shoot out a "flow insufficient" code.

ive passed emissions twice already with no egr. They dont even open the hood. If there is no SES light, bingo...you're good.

and Im in texas, emission testing is pretty bad here.

X2 on the copper RTV on the intake block off plate.

BTW, I deleted mine cause I knew I was gonna port my SC and get an IC. Dont wanna muck that up.
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

EGR delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR delete   EGR delete EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 9:13 pm

i took mine off and im happy, just do it. trust me ur riv will get better MPG then im getting now. im about ooo 8 MPg damn 02 sensor took a shit and with my cam and shit. egh
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

EGR delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR delete   EGR delete EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 9:18 pm

i get around 10/11 now so mileage isnt really much of a concern, but i was curious for the sake of others reading the thread too.
ZZP's site says you will lose ~1MPG with their block off plate. no big deal for me, this isnt a prius.

and if i'm not mistaken, your primary 02 is kinda important for other things besides mileage. rockauto sells em pretty cheap.

Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

EGR delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR delete   EGR delete EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 10:51 pm

i know i ordered a denso today

as for the block off plate. there just a piece of alumnum with a hole in it and a bolt
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

EGR delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR delete   EGR delete EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 7:03 pm

I just passed IL emissions today with no cat or EGR. By rendering the EGR codes to "3 - No Error Reported" (using HPt), any scanning device will show that the EGR monitor is passed and ready.

That is what I was afraid of. I thought it would still show that the test was not run (since there is nothing physically there to test).

The guy at the smog booth was pretty funny.
After my 1min 27sec worth of testing with my car loping pretty hard and making the waiting booth wall vibrate, he goes "ahhhh well despite all the hydrocarbons (that you can pretty much see coming out of the tailpipe at idle), you PASSED!" He was the most polite old guy I've ever met working for the state of IL.

Good for 2 years now instead of 1 btw.
Back to top Go down
EASHER
EASHER

Name : ERIK M. ASHER
Merit : 0

EGR delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR delete   EGR delete EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 11:36 am

Doesn't ZZP or Intense make an EGR emmulator module like the one you can get for the rear O2 sensor to fool the PCM into believing the EGR is working?
Back to top Go down
http://snardfarker.ning.com/profile/ERIKMASHER
captshiner
Junkie
captshiner

Name : Andrew
Merit : -1

EGR delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR delete   EGR delete EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 1:50 pm

Here's the ZZP one:
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=176
I didn't find one on Intense, but I didn't look for too long.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572362129
EASHER
EASHER

Name : ERIK M. ASHER
Merit : 0

EGR delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR delete   EGR delete EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 7:38 am

try this one

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=176&catid=107
Back to top Go down
http://snardfarker.ning.com/profile/ERIKMASHER
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

EGR delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR delete   EGR delete EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 11:17 am

Being in a visual inspection state, I have left the EGR on the motor and set the min test temperature to max 284 on the first screen of the HPT. Also swapped the codes for it to not to report error like Turtle mentioned.

They popped my hood, smiled at the engine, told me how nice the car was and passed me since the OBD2 port and visual inspection were happy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

EGR delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR delete   EGR delete Empty

Back to top Go down

EGR delete
Page 1 of 1