Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Finally found my Riv

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SToP
Enthusiast

Name : Rob
Merit : 2

Finally found my Riv Empty
PostSubject: Finally found my Riv   Finally found my Riv EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 9:43 pm

I finally found myself a Riviera. I flew 1300 kms and picked it up Saturday morning:

Finally found my Riv IMG00024

It's a 1997 SC, seems to be pretty much fully loaded with 145000 kms. What a great way to get to know a new car... drive it home through this:

Finally found my Riv IMG00028

Excuse the reflection of my permit in the window. smile I'll post some more pics once I get it through inspection and cleaned up. I noticed some bumpsteer in the mountains so it needs some suspension work but other than that it's immaculate!

Was passenger side heated seats an option? If so I think that is the only one I don't have.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Finally found my Riv   Finally found my Riv EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 10:07 pm

Yes it was an option.
Good luck with your new Riv and congrats. The search is over, now let the modifications begin!!!!
Back to top Go down
SToP
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Finally found my Riv   Finally found my Riv EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 3:47 pm

It passed inspection this morning with flying colors! All it needed was a minor adjustment to the cradle position.

I thought I was missing something to mount the rear license plate but I just found a couple of posts on the forum here saying it just slides in from inside the trunk.

Something has to blow up, this whole deal has gone way too smoothly! smile

And yes, Rick - the modifications shall begin! I think I'll stick to interior this winter, engine next summer.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Finally found my Riv   Finally found my Riv EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 3:56 pm

I'm curios, why did the cradle need adjusting and how did you know ?
Back to top Go down
SToP
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Finally found my Riv   Finally found my Riv EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 4:33 pm

I had some bumpsteer while I was on the highway home so I mentioned it to my friend who owns the inspection shop. He tells me they can move slightly if you hit a big pothole (I assume you'd have to hit it pretty hard) or in an accident. All they did was loosen the cradle bolts, shift it forward and re-tighten. After that, the alignment was dead-on according to the machine.

I haven't looked under this thing yet but other vehicles I've worked on have the lower control arm (and the bottom of the strut) attached to the cradle, and the top of the strut is bolted to the body. If the two get misaligned, it will throw the wheel alignment off.

Makes sense to me although a shifting cradle seems pretty tough to make happen. I don't think we're talking inches here, likely only millimeters.

Either way, the bumpsteer seemed to be gone! And I got away pretty much unscathed on a safety inspection. smile
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Finally found my Riv   Finally found my Riv EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 4:35 pm

Wow, they do a detailed inspection in Canada! Do they 'inspect' the alignment?
Back to top Go down
SToP
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Finally found my Riv   Finally found my Riv EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 4:49 pm

They look for loose and worn steering and suspension parts (ball joints, etc.) but I think they put it on the alignment rack only because I mentioned the bumpsteer and asked them to look at it. I'm not positive, but I don't think the alignment actually has to be in spec to pass the car. I know your shocks and struts can even have some leaking and still pass. Inspection is only for vehicles from out of province. Too many shady dealerships bringing rusted out cars in from out east and slapping a quickie paint job on them.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Finally found my Riv   Finally found my Riv EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 4:58 pm

cool, good to know. Looks like a fun drive! I too 17 from Ottowa to Sault Ste Marie last summer, it is really beautiful, if a bit run-down-feeling in places.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Finally found my Riv   Finally found my Riv EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 5:33 pm

Do you know the vehicles accident history?
Back to top Go down
SToP
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Finally found my Riv   Finally found my Riv EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 5:54 pm

No, but I know it was never a total-loss vehicle. I haven't seen any overspray and all the paint looks great but slightly and consistently weathered.

According to the guys at the shop, it was a minor issue to adjust the cradle so I assume it was properly aligned at one time before it shifted for whatever reason. After an accident it likely would have been re-aligned.
Back to top Go down
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

Name : Anthony
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Finally found my Riv   Finally found my Riv EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 4:07 am

Congrats on your new find, and welcome to the site smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally found my Riv   Finally found my Riv Empty

Back to top Go down

Finally found my Riv
Page 1 of 1