Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Uneven rough idle

Go down 
+9
1995 Riv
albertj
hotrod58
AA
Mr.Riviera
BillBoost37
dreww
97chargedriv
Shintsu
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

Uneven rough idle - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uneven rough idle   Uneven rough idle - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 10:13 pm

Before anything else do the "easy" stuff that has been recommended to you.

Clean MAF sensor (there's a thread on this on the forum).
Clean throttle body. Make sure to clean the Idle Air Control valve and IAC passage! Do NOT press on the pintle... Hopefully someone can let you know the reset procedure if there is one because I can't remember it and it's way too cold and late for me to go look for my manual.
Check plugs (replace if necessary)
search for vacuum leaks. Note: if your intake manifold gasket has never been changed, it IS leaking and may cause a vacuum leak. Change it.
R&R plug wires (or check them if you know when they were last done)

R&R fuel filter

Then, I would strongly recommend doing a Motorvac treatment, even if you find the cause of your rough idle. If you don't this very well may solve it.

Before spending money on getting your injectors cleaned, PLEASE find a shop that does Motorvac fuel system cleaning. There's a thread about it in the info subsection, but there are no shops listed for your State. Make sure it is the Motorvac name brand. This can solve seemingly impossible drivability problems.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Uneven rough idle   Uneven rough idle - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 8:00 am

If the tach shows a rock steady ~ 700 RPM but the motor is bopping around, your mounts are gone.

Actually, I replaced my motor mounts at around 100,000 miles and am about to do it again. With 190K on yours I'd guess they are toast.

The other items (clean the MAF sensor, clean the throttle body) are great preventive maintenance; so is motorvac treatment; should plan to do them.

...so tell us Josh what are you doing about this idle problem?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
lionfish
Enthusiast
lionfish

Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Uneven rough idle   Uneven rough idle - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 3:37 pm

hotrod58 wrote:
My SC 97 Riviera has 191,000 and has a new supercharger on it twisted (previous owner was a lawyer). When you are at a stop light the car idles to about 700 but its a rough idle. Car had a complete inspection but I am wondering what would cause this in my Rivy? Is it just the way supercharged 3.8's are?

Is the idle rough in both Drive and Neutral?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Uneven rough idle   Uneven rough idle - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Uneven rough idle
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2