Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

How much?(now for sale)

Go down 
+9
deekster_caddy
AA
98RIV7777
Mr.Riviera
Jack the R
albertj
etosino2009
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
etosino2009
Enthusiast
etosino2009

Name : Evan
Merit : 0

How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 6:55 pm

hey guys after reading wht u guys have said so far i have decided and worked out with my dad that i am going to keep the car until i find the part. Aaron thanks for not putting this in the for sale section it is rediculous to sell the car over a stupid coolant pipe not to mention would i get much out of the car. thanks for the words of wisdom alberj and everyone else thats why i like this site alot u guys are ver hlepful and speak the truth. anyway i guess my cousin is going to hlep me find the part to since he has some connections and works with Saleen. but once i get back from my vacation im going to look in the savlage yards for that riv you mentioned AA. but anyways that site u looked at Mr. riviera it looks like it has that coolant S shape pipe but i cant really tell?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 6:59 pm

Good choice, to keep and fix. Happy motoring.
Back to top Go down
etosino2009
Enthusiast
etosino2009

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 4:22 pm

hey i have a quick question for you guys my cousin just found a 92 bonnie seei with the 3.8 series I supercharger would the engine even though a little older have the part i need im not exactly sure if there was any changes bw the 95 series I and 92 series I. thanks
Back to top Go down
1995 Riv
Enthusiast

Name : Don
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 8:18 pm

There is a service bulletin on the o-ring that is on the end of the pipe that fits into engine. It seems that some of those holes were bigger than others which used the stock orange o-ring. GM came up with a bigger one that is purple. PN 24505540 just thought I would mention it. There is a new member that was parting out a 95 Riv His name is Mike His user name is Redline. I think his engine was non SC but it maybe the same part. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 9:05 pm

etosino2009 wrote:
hey i have a quick question for you guys my cousin just found a 92 bonnie seei with the 3.8 series I supercharger would the engine even though a little older have the part i need im not exactly sure if there was any changes bw the 95 series I and 92 series I. thanks

the non-walled LIM that i swapped into my riv was from an older 3.8 series 1 SC like you are mentioning, so yes, it should have that coolant "S" tube.

Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 8:57 am

So Evan, how's it going?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
etosino2009
Enthusiast
etosino2009

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 9:43 am

Hey guys thanks for answering my question and good info but my cousin already pulled the parts from the car and i should get it today and take it to the shop to get installed the only concern my cousin had was that it was a little corroded. but once i get it to the shop today i will let you guys know what happens. thanks
Back to top Go down
etosino2009
Enthusiast
etosino2009

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 5:07 pm

1000 bucks is what they said is going to take to replace the 2 coolant tubes shocked . There explanation was that they had to take off the supercharger and LIM in order to take it off since they couldnt simly pull it bc of how it was coroded and already somewhat broken up in the manifold. This is the last time i take my car to the shop but somehow my dad got them to throw in changing the WP for free. Anyways if everything goes right i will get my car finally back up and running on monday.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 5:47 pm

Whaaaaat? I could see $1000 for pulling the engine and replacing the bearings or something, but for replacing those hoses? No way. I'm pretty sure they are going about this the wrong way. You need to get a second opinion somewhere else.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 5:54 pm

yipes... pirates!
hell, i'd pull the SC and LIM for someone for free...
and i know for a fact, its really not that hard to get the tubes out(even coroded) with everything on....

I guess the good side to this is that you get new SC gasket, LIM gasket, and WP out of the deal, so you shouldent in theory have to worry about those again....

Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 6:09 pm

almost wonder if this is the time to replace the SC coupler, while it's out. And the new LIM gasket can only help, they should put the better one (aftermarket) in.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 6:43 pm

At $75.00 per hour Labor that's 10 hours time to remove and replace, plus being generous with the extra $250.00 in gasket's and fluid's.
10 Hour's, I could do that with a bad back. TWICE !!!!!!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 9:21 pm

might be (a) they don' want to do the job but also don' want to say No so they priced it like an engine swap (b) they are expecting to break/replace other parts on the way to completing the repair hence the overage (c) the labor rate is more like $90 or $100 at that shop in Columbus.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
etosino2009
Enthusiast
etosino2009

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 12:43 am

Well although the price is rediculous im still keeping my head up bc i finally get my car back. although im still not taking it back to them next time i have been taking it there since i have had the car and think this not the only time they have screwed me over such as the time my idler pulley broke and belts i had to keep on taking it back like 3 or 4 times because of the belts and pulley making sounds. but albertj thats a good idea i should proably go ahead while im paying 1000 dollars to make sure that nothing else down the road fails which after having my car sit for 4 months i cant let happen again. so the sc coupler is there anything else that you guys would reccomend for a car with 94,000 mi?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 2:44 pm

make sure they do an oil change after they have the LIM off, as there is really no way to prevent a bit of coolent getting in with the oil when removing. Also you will want to do ANOTHER change of the oil after 100 miles or so. Spun bearings are not fun.

and i'd only reccomend them doing the coupler if they know what they are doing(IE know what it is, how to change, what the proper SC oil to put in is) and if they don't charge you an arm and a leg for it. Some less reputible places will claim to have done service on a supercharger while they really did nothing at all, and will still charge for it, or say you need a brand new supercharger....

Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 9:21 pm

before the work is done, might want to check the SC pulley for play. May not want to replace the SC coupler if there is no play yet.

only other thing I can think of is the crank sensor, but that's a kind of different job, requires pulling the harmonic balancer.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
etosino2009
Enthusiast
etosino2009

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 3:48 pm

The parts from the 92 bonneville will not work neither will any coolant tubes from any gm model with the series I sc but only the riviera which they said the engine is obviously the same as the one with the 92 bonneville however the way the the sI is set up in the Riviera is diffrent and i guess Buick made the way the coolant tubes go in is diffrent too. the one from the bonneville is a little shorter and dosent have as much of an angle ill get pics of the diffrences tonight. but they were telling my like you said aaron that there is a riviera in a place i think called pick and pull here in columbus so tommorow iam going to head out there and see if they still have the parts i need. they also said they can go ahead and install the part but they cannot guarntee anything because the the one from the bonnie runs to close to the belt due to the diffrences. what do you guys think should i have them install if i cant find the one off the riviera? this is really starting to get on my nerves headbutt
Back to top Go down
#1BearsFan
Enthusiast
#1BearsFan

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 4:42 pm

What exactly is "too close"? It either gets rubbed by the belt or it doesn't. If it rubs it won't work, obviously....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 5:22 pm

Different ones should work no prob. Do they really think that GM made a "special" coolant tube just for the Riv? no way! Of course its close clearance, mine can't be much more than a 1/4" inch from the belts...

Enthusiast
etosino2009

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 3:52 pm

yah that was my reaction when they told me but they said its just the way it fits in the riviera thats diffrent than other models but im not sure if i cant find the one from the riv in the junkyard here in columbus ill just go ahead and have them install the other which i dnt think will be too much of a problem just hope theres not much play in the tube for it to touch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 4:15 pm

the tube itself should have no play as its solid metal and bolts to a braket that holds it into the LIM. Thats what holds the o-ring end from falling out of the LIM. The other end is just has a rubber hose clamped on to it.

Enthusiast
etosino2009

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 10:51 am

Just to give you guys an update i finally got my car back up and running however we were not able to find the ones of the riv in columbus. so they went ahead and went installed the one from the bonnie and they said they tried bending to make more room for the belts and pullies but it didint help so they said its half and inch from them and now there saying i cant really punch it anymore and have to go easy on the gas bc the belts could flex and take out the tube and they also wont guarntee anything so will see wht happens.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 12:58 pm

I really wouldent worry about it too much, like I said, my tube is only like a 1/4" from my belts, and the location is very unlikely that the belts will "flex" (as they say)... glad its up and running though!

Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 1:05 pm

I agree, 1/2" should be way plenty clearance. If the belt is installed correctly it wont move squat.

Glad to hear you got her fixed.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
1995 Riv
Enthusiast

Name : Don
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 2:44 pm

Glad it is fixed sorry it was such a pain for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much?(now for sale)   How much?(now for sale) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

How much?(now for sale)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next