Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan

Go down 
+2
curious riv
dreww
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan Empty
PostSubject: moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan   moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 7:01 pm

During the IC install, a hole got cut into the AC condensor, so I had to replace it.
Everything worked fine AC wise before this.

Took it to the shop to get an evac and recharge since I couldnt do it myself. Get the car back and the HVAC fan wont turn off! Even with the key off and out! It also only runs at one speed and it wont blow faster or slower. I can turn it off and it stops coming out the dash vents, but keeps blowing under the dash.

The moron at the shop says when he got the car the HVAC fan wasnt working. He pushed in the fuse and it worked. On the way home I smell a slight burning and the fan finally stops...for good.

What did this jackass do? He tries to say it was HVAC controls, then says its a solenoid, then blah blah blah. Bullshit! Taking it back day after new years for them to fix.

any ideas? If I fucked it up I couldnt probably figure it out, but this douche isn't shooting straight with me and I know it.

fuses all good so its not that. He crossed a wire or jacked up a ground or something. But he shouldnt have been in or near the dash for this repair.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan   moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 4:07 am

wish i could give u an idea what t do about that douche wad screwin ur fan (,other than the sks and postal idea)good luck....

Last edited by curious riv on Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)
Back to top Go down
96RIVMANN
Fanatic
96RIVMANN

Name : Paul
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan   moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 4:46 pm

What fuse did he "push" in? It seems really odd to me that the fan would act like this if all he was doing was and evac. Did U install the condensor?
Back to top Go down
1995 Riv
Enthusiast

Name : Don
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan   moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:31 pm

On the 95 there is a 10 amp fuse in the I/panel fuse block marked HVAC CONT and an I/P 1 15 amp fuse in rear fuse block. These power the actuators and controls. In the rear fuse block HVAC BLO MOT 30 amp fuse for the Blower control Module. In the I/Panel fuse block there is a 15 amp fuse marked HVAC BLOWER. If your 96 is the same and they are ok pull under dash panel on passenger side, test blower power lead in for power when turned on. If you have power(purple wire blower motor connector) and no blower tap motor with tool to see if it comes on. Goodluck

Last edited by 1995 Riv on Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan   moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 6:08 pm

I don't have the service bulletins - but I seem to recall that there was a service bulletin concerning the early run of the "new' HVAC controls in the Riv. The '95 used "old" style controls and IIRC the '96 and later used "new" style. Again - IIRC there was a problem with the early run of the 'new' hvac control heads.

Maybe someone with access to the TSBs could please check to help Drew, at least to check if I am correct.

Other than that all I'll say is sometimes failures are the result of a "genius" and sometimes they are coincidental. That said - Drew you might also want to double-check the wiring in the area around where you have to work to put in the IC.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan   moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 12:46 am

96RIVMANN wrote:
What fuse did he "push" in? It seems really odd to me that the fan would act like this if all he was doing was and evac. Did U install the condensor?

yes, I installed the condesor myself. During the IC install, I never touched any of the fuse panels/boxes and never touched anything on the interior of the car.

1995 Riv wrote:
On the 95 there is a 10 amp fuse in the I/panel fuse block marked HVAC CONT and an I/P 1 15 amp fuse in rear fuse block. These power the actuators and controls. In the rear fuse block HVAC BLO MOT 30 amp fuse for the Blower control Module. In the I/Panel fuse block there is a 15 amp fuse marked HVAC BLOWER. If your 96 is the same and they are ok pull under dash panel on passenger side, test blower power lead in for power when turned on. If you have power(purple wire blower motor connector) and no blower tap motor with tool to see if it comes on. Goodluck

On my 96, there is the fuse panel behind the passenger side headlamp. It has only a few fuses and none for the HVAC controls/blower/etc. There is a 2nd fuse panel on the driver side dash that you must open the drivers door to access. This is where the 10amp HVAC blower fuse was that the "mechanic" claimed to push in. There is another fuse panel under the rear seat I believe, next to the battery. I haven't looked there since he shouldnt have been in there anyways. Not that that would stop this dumbass.

I read another thread in this forum about the "HVAC blower module" showing similar symptoms when it starts to go out. I started my car today and the fan worked fine. Halfway to work it stopped working. I think the module is heating up and failing - a characteristic listed in this other thread I saw in the forum. On the drive home, the fan still wasn't working. Could be coincidence, cause this guy should have never been under the passenger side dash. Ive had weirder coincidences in other cars before.

all the more reason I hate taking my car to a shop. I only did it cause I dont know anyone with an evac machine for the AC. Im convinced I know more about this car than any shop.
Back to top Go down
1995 Riv
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan   moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 2:48 am

There are 4 fuses related to the blower on the 95 as listed above. 2 in the Instrument panel box and two in the box in rear under seat. Owners manual has a picture and markings for fuses. The 95 blower control module has four wires connected to it. I guess you tapped motor to see if it would come on but if a fuse is blown at rear fuse block it won't help. I found a used blower off an Aurora for $15 at junkyard but Advance and auto zone new are really cheap if you are sure that is what is wrong. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
1995 Riv
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan   moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 2:52 am

One more thing probably not a factor but in front of condenser there is an ambient temperature sensor it is not damaged or wires pinched are they? It measures outside temp for the Temp display on dash.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan   moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 12:50 am

1995 Riv wrote:
One more thing probably not a factor but in front of condenser there is an ambient temperature sensor it is not damaged or wires pinched are they? It measures outside temp for the Temp display on dash.

no, that sensor is fine. Im not having any problems with my HVAC controls, they are working as usual. My damn blower fan will just not kick on. I got more info and a pic in the other thread. I'll check the fuses under the rear seat tomorrow morning.

BTW, I did pull down the passenger dash panel and messed with the wires. All were secure and nothing changed so its not that simple a fix unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan   moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 7:48 pm

dreww wrote:
Im convinced I know more about this car than any shop..

clap clap

I agree, I would never take my car anywhere and I'm always paranoid when I do. Sounds like this is just an unfortunate coincidence though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan   moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan Empty

Back to top Go down

moron at the shop f'ed up my HVAC fan
Page 1 of 1