Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Hood Scoops / Intakes

Go down 
+7
Jack the R
SpaceBar
turtleman
sburch23
1998 Riv
AA
2toneRivi
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
c0reyl
Addict
c0reyl

Name : Corey
Merit : 2

Hood Scoops / Intakes - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hood Scoops / Intakes   Hood Scoops / Intakes - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 8:48 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
On the contrary my friend.I like your design.I've never seen one in that area.It's a great idea and could work aesthetically.
But dont take my word for it.Do a little research on your own and make a determination. It's a whole lot cheaper and less intrusive to plan a kick ass bottom mount scoop and pass it on to the rest of us.With your ideas I'm sure you can make it happen.

Stop and go traffic wont make a ton of difference.The Rivs cast iron engine can take the heat along with good quality oil. with a low mounted air intake your only concern is deep puddles of water.
On my old 88 Legend I had a block off plate that I would instal on the scoop in case of heavy rain back east.the few times I forgot to put it on or was too lazy to get out the car did not affect the engine performance at all or cause any problems. A super charged car is a whole other beast.It's gulping down big air,so...

Hmm, I thought heat was bad though, if I plan on boosting hard at all. idling, wouldn't that affect KR if I was pushing a lot of power?

robotennis61 wrote:
do it.the whole point of it all is to get out and do something different.I am sure you can find a source for aluminium naca scoop that can be welded in place.do a mock up before cutting into the hood first.

Yeah, I wanted to do something unique to my riv without making it look ricey. I love the classic, timeless look of my car. Funny thign is Iv'e never appreciated this car until I actually started driving and got it for my first car. It really is an awesome car to drive, other than in tight parking spots razz

You say aluminum because of metal differences would cause corrosion? would a fibreglass scoop JB welded in be a bad idea, I'm not talking about a garbage tack on ricey scoop, like if I cut a hole in my hood and applied the molded fiber with the JB weld, wouldn't that work, and possibly make the hood structure even a bit stronger? I noticed the hood flexes under high winds razz
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Hood Scoops / Intakes   Hood Scoops / Intakes - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 8:58 pm

I would not worry alot about power.If ya got it,it will take care of itself
wouldnt it be better to be able to weld a naca scoop to the hood? why mess with fiberglass if ya dont have to? It would make blending the two forms together much easier. Making a naca scoop out of alu is easy.alu forms real nice.just make a buck out of wood and beat the shit out of a pice of alu sheet
Back to top Go down
c0reyl
Addict
c0reyl

PostSubject: Re: Hood Scoops / Intakes   Hood Scoops / Intakes - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 9:02 pm

found this for 80 bucks! :O

http://www.legendmp.com/#/item/universal_hood_scoop_type_viper

Hood Scoops / Intakes - Page 2 9B4D95EF-A839-468A-9042-274E649AC8D6

I don't think I'd even mess with an exit duct, but this may be doable, if airflow permits me to.

EDIT:

robotennis61 wrote:
I would not worry alot about power.If ya got it,it will take care of itself
wouldnt it be better to be able to weld a naca scoop to the hood? why mess with fiberglass if ya dont have to? It would make blending the two forms together much easier. Making a naca scoop out of alu is easy.alu forms real nice.just make a buck out of wood and beat the shit out of a pice of alu sheet

Hmm, would it be hard to make the above product in aluminum?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Hood Scoops / Intakes   Hood Scoops / Intakes - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 9:41 pm

Nope.After anealing,alu forms real easy.The above pictured form would be stupid easy to duplicate in wood.You can even mess with the dimensions to to really make it pop with the hood.
Back to top Go down
c0reyl
Addict
c0reyl

PostSubject: Re: Hood Scoops / Intakes   Hood Scoops / Intakes - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 9:47 pm

So basically make the overall shape out of wood then beat the shit out of the aluminum with a hammer, and cut the hole and curves with a dremel?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Hood Scoops / Intakes   Hood Scoops / Intakes - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 9:49 pm

yup. spread your design out in width and length and vise versa and find the best mating.
Back to top Go down
c0reyl
Addict
c0reyl

PostSubject: Re: Hood Scoops / Intakes   Hood Scoops / Intakes - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 9:54 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
yup. spread your design out in width and length and vise versa and find the best mating.

By spread out, you mean make the duct overall bigger?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Hood Scoops / Intakes   Hood Scoops / Intakes - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 10:16 pm

yeah.mess around with the dimensions until satisfied
Back to top Go down
c0reyl
Addict
c0reyl

PostSubject: Re: Hood Scoops / Intakes   Hood Scoops / Intakes - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 10:19 pm

Not a bad idea. I think I might build this while i repaint the car happy one question I do have is, will the intake location from the manifold change by adding a supercharger? I haven't looked too much into that :3
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Hood Scoops / Intakes   Hood Scoops / Intakes - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 11:10 pm

I dont think so.either way there will be alot of enginering to do
Back to top Go down
c0reyl
Addict
c0reyl

PostSubject: Re: Hood Scoops / Intakes   Hood Scoops / Intakes - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 11:21 pm

Well, building the actual intake will probably be harder. Its good to know I can start building my intake now already and work on that whenever. Ill look in the hood of my step dad's SC Buick side by side to confirm on that. But yeah, I think it's manageable, and if I do fail on this, I've learned something out of it :p

How does deleting the resonator box affect engine sound? I've always wanted to hear my engine a bit louder. I actually love the sound of the engine, but it sounds so confined and muffled as stock.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hood Scoops / Intakes   Hood Scoops / Intakes - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hood Scoops / Intakes
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2