Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Ouch! Circut Breaker

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
StrictlyBusiness
Amateur

Name : Bone
Merit : 0

Ouch! Circut Breaker Empty
PostSubject: Ouch! Circut Breaker   Ouch! Circut Breaker EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 1:06 pm

My 25A Circut breaker under my seat for my pwr seats and stuff is schorching hot, And My seats/mirrors dont work, any ideas why??
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Ouch! Circut Breaker   Ouch! Circut Breaker EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 5:21 pm

I would look for a short first. Does your battery discharge while the car is off?

What year is your car?
Back to top Go down
StrictlyBusiness
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Ouch! Circut Breaker   Ouch! Circut Breaker EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 12:42 am

98 Riviera I dont know what you mean by discharge while its off
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Ouch! Circut Breaker   Ouch! Circut Breaker EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 4:55 am

Does the battery drain itself or go dead while the car is off.??
That could indicate a short circuit.
Try replacing the circuit breaker with new or known good one and see what happens. Sometimes the breakers just go bad.
Otherwise you have a shorted wire in the circuit somewhere.
Back to top Go down
StrictlyBusiness
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Ouch! Circut Breaker   Ouch! Circut Breaker EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 1:48 pm

Nope the battery doesnt drain itself, I've already been to the dealership and bought a new CB so I guess I have to rip the car apart to find the short? Any common spots that i should be looking for?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Ouch! Circut Breaker   Ouch! Circut Breaker EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 2:18 pm

Well I would start under the seat... near the 'hot' solenoid, and work back to the battery from there. (It's under the back seat, along with tons of relays and such)
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Ouch! Circut Breaker   Ouch! Circut Breaker EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 6:23 pm

This *exact* same thing happened to me - I pulled the breaker and checked the wiring, found nothing, since the seat was in teh right place I left it alone for a while. Few days later I plug the breaker back in in order to check the wiring and find the short. When I plugged the breaker in I heard a loud "TICK."

Well, I'm kind of half in half out of the car and half out, got the voltmeter, and I think to myself, "hmm better see what's not working" so I move the seat controls and - everything's working.

I suspect one of my son's buddies got the control box wet and it decided to work after it dried out.

Did you have any stuff under your driver's seat? C'mon you can fess up.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
StrictlyBusiness
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Ouch! Circut Breaker   Ouch! Circut Breaker EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 10:25 pm

I havent taken it apart yet, i bought the car and the seat didn't work luckly it was at a setting to were i could drive. It snowed really bad here today so unless I get into my shop im SOL till a sunny day
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Ouch! Circut Breaker   Ouch! Circut Breaker EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 9:56 pm

You can start by getting (1) a flashlight (2) a factory service manual off Ebay, they are not free but they are not that expensive anymore either.

Before the service manual arrives, peek around withteh flashlight under the drivers seat, seeif the wiring was spliced or tampered with. There are a lot of wires under there, wiring for the seats and mirrors as well as the control computer for the seat and mirror memory (if equipped). Basicfally you are looking not only for splices or busted wires (a passenger could kick the wiring by shoving feet or debris under the seat) but also stains indiccating a water, soda or coffee spill.

After you've done that. post again and tell us what you found.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ouch! Circut Breaker   Ouch! Circut Breaker Empty

Back to top Go down

Ouch! Circut Breaker
Page 1 of 1