Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)

Go down 
+48
highwaywarrior
98riv
saintsnsinners
Bowersk
97 park ave
GreenMonster
robotennis61
RidzRiv
sealk
flyineagle96
jonly
Hometown Hero
DEMonte1997
jonnyb411
VJD2
Abaddon
crlombardi69
L67
BillBoost37
turtleman
palermocorey90
Buapo
Chicken
curious riv
Rickw
98RIV7777
1wickedninja
SToP
TonySmooth89
97rivsc
97rivman
ewolfe0050
Supercharged
1998 Riv
RhinoFLA
T Riley
jimmyriv
okiedrifter
Jack the R
Jason
racinfan
urbsnspices
AA
deekster_caddy
pwmin
oldsman105
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 12:24 pm

Those look exactly like the SSAC kit, right down to the clamps....even the gaskets look exact. The gaskets and clamps are junk, and you will need to buy better ones to do it right. You will also have to wrap them with header wrap to keep them quiet (ticking), and keep the heat in.

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/write-up-installing-slp-exhaust-headers-t291.htm

Check out this thread about it all. Last few pages have pics of how to wrap/paint them.

I assure you, the listing from Ebay you posted ARE NOT CERAMIC ANYTHING.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Anyone install Speed Daddy headers on their Riv?   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 9:59 pm

Price is amazing. I spoke with a few Bonne guys and they said these were the perfect SLP knockoffs (in terms of fitting really well). Is there anything different between car platforms that would make these not match up to the Riv's catback?

Here's a link to them:

Link

I promised myself I wouldn't go down the modding path with the Riv but I like having a car run as optimally as possible. Already put in Yella Terra RRs yesterday and after the headers I will throw on a 3.5" SC pulley. lol
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

Name : Vinny
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 11:45 am

That's a hella good deal if they fit right..

Hmmm....
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 4:18 pm

Vinny, you gonna wait to see how they fit on Rick's car before you pull the trigger. headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 Icon_win

I would headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 Icon_lol

Better yet, you both live in CT. Why don't you guys get together and try the install together on the same day.headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 Icon_pir

If they were available when i did mine, i would have bought them at that price and tried em. What have you got to lose.
Just do a bit of wrapping, at least on the cross-over pipe and the flex joint at minimum.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 4:05 am

I'm on it... Gonna talk with Bill and his guys to see if they have any insight. If this works out we will be in business.
Back to top Go down
jonnyb411
jonnyb411

Name : Jon
Merit : 0

PostSubject: headers? 99 riviera    headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 12:06 pm

i got the headers installed and they had to cut my transmission dipstick because it got in the way where can i find a flexible dipstick?
Back to top Go down
jonly
Enthusiast
jonly

Name : james
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 12:20 pm

no idea, but who did the install?
Back to top Go down
jonnyb411
jonnyb411

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 2:00 pm

a exhaust shop in berlin nj bargin brakes..
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 3:25 pm

No need for a flexible tube. Go here www.moradpartscompany.com Email them and tell 'em you need a Trans Dipstick Tube for a 2004 ish Grand Prix GTP. I got mine, tube and dipstick, for $15 shipped. It fits perfect with the same mounting location.
Back to top Go down
jonnyb411
jonnyb411

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 3:27 pm

ok thanks
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 11:34 pm

How did the headers fit, that's the more important question considering the cost.

Al the Riv's require the 2004 GTP Trans tube and dipstick (it is written in the thread on cheap header install0

But, once again, for short money how did the install go.
If you didn't do it yourself, did they say or probably a better way to figure this out is, how many man-hours of labor did they charge to do the header install only.
Back to top Go down
jonnyb411
jonnyb411

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 7:02 am

ohh man! they fit good but not worth the install and drama. they went from $300 to $800 total install price and they claimed like 14 hours labor and had to install a new cat and weld it in. i got jerked around and riped off. i had no choice but to let them finish the job so i got screwed.my headers are ticking like an old truck. i wrapped the flex-pipe and i still hear it somewhere toward the back of the engine. i am so angry.
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 7:08 am

You got ripped off bad,more like 4 hours tops, Let us know the name of that bitch,so no one goes there... mad
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 9:43 am

Yeah, you got had. Took me about 5 hours by myself, and I even had to make an O2 harness!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 10:33 am

I can see how a shop could take 14 hrs if they've never installed headers on a Riv before (of course, they haven't). In 2006 I took my car to INTENSE and they wouldn't even touch it - they weren't familiar enough with Rivieras and had no idea if the SLPs would fit!

The shop did what you asked, using what they know. I'm surprised they even took on the job. We have a huge advantage because we know from others' experience what it takes to make the job easier. Took me and a friend 6 hours to do mine. That didn't include the time it took another shop to weld up the bottom parts to the cat-back pipes.

Headers tend to tick like that. It's normal. It helps to wrap all of the pipes before install, but you're beyond that now.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 11:24 am

jonnyb411 wrote:
ohh man! they fit good but not worth the install and drama. they went from $300 to $800 total install price and they claimed like 14 hours labor and had to install a new cat and weld it in. i got jerked around and riped off. i had no choice but to let them finish the job so i got screwed.my headers are ticking like an old truck. i wrapped the flex-pipe and i still hear it somewhere toward the back of the engine. i am so angry.

I had a tick as well when I finished the install. Hopefully you didn't use the header gaskets that came with the kit, they suck. They are going to leak within 6 months. The clamps are junk too. My particular tick was coming from the EGR tube right where it went into the rear header. A little red exhaust RTV cured the problem.....
Back to top Go down
jonnyb411
jonnyb411

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 10:22 pm

ohh well i will stick my arms up their and wrap them pipes anyway, will be hard but i will have to do it. i will not pay 800 for my car to just sound like shit.. thanks for all your help everyone!
Back to top Go down
jonnyb411
jonnyb411

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 10:28 pm

]Abaddon worte :i had a tick as well when I finished the install. Hopefully you didn't use the header gaskets that came with the kit, they suck. They are going to leak within 6 months. The clamps are junk too. My particular tick was coming from the EGR tube right where it went into the rear header. A little red exhaust RTV cured the problem....
[
no i bought the SLP installation kit... soo the pipe that connects the front headers to the back on the side is where the ticking is coming from?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 11:27 pm

That's where mine was coming from. Just pointing out a possibility.
Back to top Go down
sealk
Amateur

Name : frank

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 11:25 pm

I buy the obx one on ebay i'm still waiting
It will be there in a few days

I'll give news
Back to top Go down
sealk
Amateur

Name : frank

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 4:02 pm

OBX stainless headers arrived yesterday nice welding and good quality product for 365$ (stainless)
Back to top Go down
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

Name : Greg
Merit : 17

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 5:42 pm

Would there be any benefit to painting or wrapping the stock exhaust manifolds? I'm not sure if this would put too much stress on them from the heat.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 5:47 pm

I wrapped my headers from beginning to end and along the crossover pipe.The exhaust tubes cracked twice on the front side and once at the rear. each time the manifolds had to be removed and welded.
now I just have the crossover pipe wrapped.so far no problem.
Back to top Go down
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

Name : Greg
Merit : 17

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 5:51 pm

So i assume they cracked from the heat? Has it benefited you at all having the crossover pipe wrapped?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 6:03 pm

Probably, yes. True headers also last a shorter life when wrapped (one reason I didn't wrap mine, going on 6 years installed). It's a racing mod that makes sense for race cars because the exhaust components get changed more frequently. Unless you want to replace your manifold in a year or two, I wouldn't do it. There are LOTS of other things you can do to more effectively improve performance.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)   headers - Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.) - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Knock-Off Headers (Pace Setter, Autochrome, Chinese, eBay, etc.)
Page 10 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next