Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

New car, have a few issues

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dcirefugee
Special

Name : Clint
Merit : 0

New car, have a few issues Empty
PostSubject: New car, have a few issues   New car, have a few issues EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 11:21 pm

Hello all. My name is Clint and I just bought a 95 Riv Supercharged. I love this car, but I am having a few issues with it.

The car was in need of some TLC when I bought it, and I have been doing my best with that. The car has 150,000 miles and the transmission was rebuilt about 25,000 miles ago. So far I have replaced the air filter, spark plugs, plug wires, idler and tensioner pulleys, both belts, supercharger coupler, and tires. I have also had an alignment done, changed the oil and filter, cleaned the MAF and throttle body, and checked all the fluids, electrical connectors, vacuum hoses, and fluid hoses.

All of this has made the car run better, but I still have some issues. The shifter display under the speedo does not work properly, the torque converter is not locking properly, and the cruise control does not work. The previous owner said the cruise worked fine until his mechanic was messing with the computer and then it quit working. The shifter display will not show which gear it is in, all the gears will be lit up, and then it will start flashing. The torque converter will lock up for a little while, but will eventually unlock. It will go back and forth and then eventually just stay unlocked. I looked at the computer and found one of the connectors was not plugged in properly, so I hope that will fix a few problems.

I also have found a wire and pin pulled out of the connector just outboard of the OBD port. The wire is green, it is the only green wire going to this connector, and the connector has two rows of pins, one side is marked A the other B with the pin locations numbered 1-8 on each side. Can anyone tell me what the connector is and which slot the pin should go into?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: New car, have a few issues   New car, have a few issues EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 12:49 pm

Anyone have a wiring diagram for a 1995 that can help?
Back to top Go down
dcirefugee
Special

PostSubject: Re: New car, have a few issues   New car, have a few issues EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 6:44 pm

I just got back from a test drive and it looks like fixing the loose connector fixed the cruise control, the shifter display, and the torque converter lock up. This was the first time I have driven it since replacing the supercharger coupler and it seems to run much better than before. I am not sure if that is because of the coupler or the loose connector.

I still don't know what the loose wire is for. I guess I will just leave it unhooked until I find out.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: New car, have a few issues   New car, have a few issues EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 6:57 pm

Sounds like you plan on keeping the car.
If so, get a Factory Service Manual for your 95, it will save you a lot of aggravation and answer a lot of questions.
Try used on Ebay Motors.
Back to top Go down
dcirefugee
Special

PostSubject: Re: New car, have a few issues   New car, have a few issues EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 7:15 pm

I will be getting a service manual for it soon. I havn't had a chance to do so yet because of all the other things that I have been doing to it since I got it 2 weeks ago. Getting it running right has cost a little more money than I had hoped, but that's okay since I didn't pay very much for the car.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: New car, have a few issues   New car, have a few issues EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 8:14 pm

Might want to ask eth PO *why* mechanic was messing with the connections to the computer.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New car, have a few issues   New car, have a few issues Empty

Back to top Go down

New car, have a few issues
Page 1 of 1