Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Fi ... :D

Go down 
+2
Snowdog
Stealth96
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Stealth96
Rookie

Name : Kyle
Merit : 0

Fi     ...     :D Empty
PostSubject: Fi ... :D   Fi     ...     :D EmptyMon May 25, 2009 10:32 am

so im one of those go fast and thump hard people
and since i finally am gettin my new motor...well.....used new....whatever
i think its on to my stereo system again

a few years ago i had a suburban, and i grabbed a full xplod system with the 2 1200w 12's and 1200w (discontinued :S) amp and when i got this rivy i of course transplanted everything (...that would fit, i had to sacrifice some speakers here and there)
problem is, i have that unquenchable thirst to become better, fast and louder
so while the motor is awaiting swappage, and gets its subtle little mods i am going to order a BTL18 (yeah just one...)
it will be fully loaded dual 2 ohm

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154a1a399521696/shopdata/0050_Speakers/0010_BTL/product_overview.shopscript

3 weeks waiting, so i got time smile
question is now, i need a suitable amp. ouch, but 2000w rms should satisfy me

i know my general knowledge with subs/speakers/amps like you know, power cable here, rca cable here, box size ported 5-10sqft whatever, but with 1 amp 2000 rms, whats all this crossover or you know jargon people talk about when wiring big subs up. lol my subs were pretty straightforward plug in and tune
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Fi ... :D   Fi     ...     :D EmptyMon May 25, 2009 11:14 am

sounds like your truying to shoot the rivs rear window to the moon...whit 2000rms...

better stripp the interjor and start installing some noise mufflering mats into interjor and trunk. some even into doors and rear sides.

this will make the car a litle bit heavyer but helps alot whit keeping the nois in and things whount start to vibrate so much....
would be good to install all the cabels tho what you will need to use in the future for your speakers and amps.

write a wire plan on paper 1st so you know what you need and how much.

on your next payday.....go get that sub amp and speekerts..

i think sqrivi could help you whit some ideas...
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/audio-electronics-f7/stereo-system-install-t5362.htm

i guess he has some experience whit it..
Back to top Go down
sqrivi
Fanatic

Name : scott
Merit : 52

PostSubject: Re: Fi ... :D   Fi     ...     :D EmptyMon May 25, 2009 11:23 am

Nice sub, FI makes some great speakers. What is your budget for an amp? The first amp to come to mind is a Zapco c2k 9.0 it is rated at 2200w at 4ohm, also the Zapco dc1100.1 is a great amp and is stable to 1ohm mono so it should be in the neighborhood of 2000w also. I would stick with a quality name brand though. The old saying really applies here, "you get what you pay for" You could also use two 1000w amps, one on each coil. There are more options for 1000w amps.
Back to top Go down
brmcm15
brmcm15

Name : Brandon

PostSubject: Re: Fi ... :D   Fi     ...     :D EmptyMon May 25, 2009 6:01 pm

depending on how much your budget and how well your electrical is wired, i would say a Hifonics BXI 2010D for about $300 would be a nice choice. It will most likely put out 2000w rms if you have good electrial upgrades. Theres a couple other nice choices for amps like Orion HCCA-D5000, Crunch GP3000DPRO, or my favorite Sundown SAZ-3000D. But if u have a budget i would stick as close as i could to it.
Back to top Go down
Stealth96
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Fi ... :D   Fi     ...     :D EmptyTue May 26, 2009 12:43 am

yeah i completely forgot about the hush mats, :S
that would give me a chance to replace some of those busted clips on inside of either doors, nasty heavy things those doors are, love um though.

eh...budget wise is always a concern right? well i will want to do it right and save money in the long run, so money will not be too much of an issue, so much as time will be to get it.

so with that in mind, something that will last me a while, i would rather not spend more then i would have to for an amp prematurely burnin up or me not gettin the $500+ worth of bump from the BTL, the first one that caught my attention was the Rocky Fosgate T2500

and actually i was slightly concerned with the windows, as ive seen people shatter like back glasses in vehicles, but eh, is that really even that big of a concern? obviously it would be situated in the truck, with more than required space for it. /sigh just another factor to consider!
Back to top Go down
sqrivi
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Fi ... :D   Fi     ...     :D EmptyTue May 26, 2009 1:04 am

No worries about the glass with the amount of power you are looking to use. I would also consider using second skin or dynamat rather than hushmat. I know several people who have had problems with the hushmat comming loose.
Back to top Go down
Ryan from Ohio
Fanatic

Name : Ryan
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: Fi ... :D   Fi     ...     :D EmptyTue May 26, 2009 2:10 pm

We put 4 15" Elevation Executions then 4 15" Wolfpack FSQ's with over 8000 WRMS into a regal. Sure the front windshield flexed over 1/2" but it never blew out...

With 2000 WRMS @ 1 Ohm I would look into an Audioque 2200D. its $390 shipped.

If you want a little more power I can get you an American bass VFL120.1 for $475+ ship
http://americanbassusa.com/front/showcontent.aspx?fileid=295
Back to top Go down
Stealth96
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Fi ... :D   Fi     ...     :D EmptyThu May 28, 2009 11:43 pm

you guys have been quite helpful actually. i appreciate the input, thanks smile ima check out that audioque and hope the Fi can eventually ship out earlier than....3 weeks...
Back to top Go down
sqrivi
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Fi ... :D   Fi     ...     :D EmptyFri May 29, 2009 12:12 am

Just some info to consider about the Audioque 2200D. The specs for the power are rated at 14.4v and 16v, I'm pretty sure your car doesn't do anymore than 13.8v continuously. They also rate the power at 1% THD (total harmonic DISTORTION). 1% may not sound like much but most amps are .01% THD or lower. You have a great sub there, seriously consider putting a quality amp behind it. Some other brands to consider are Kicker, JLaudio, RF, Memphis, ect. I know this will sound strange but you should expect to pay about .75 - $1.00 per watt for quality power. A $300 amp will be comparable to any other $300 amp. One may be "rated" at 2000 watts and the other may be "rated" at 50 watts but they will be comparable. The same goes for a $1500 amp. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
Ryan from Ohio
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Fi ... :D   Fi     ...     :D EmptyFri May 29, 2009 9:50 pm

Class D power holmes.

With anything Class D the THD is up there, and so is the efficiency- right around 85% Think you will hear that 1% THD? You wont come close... Also note most amps display something like .01% THD. Sure, but at what power is that rating taken at? See they dont tell you that... At higher power comes more THD. The closer you get to maxing the amp out voltage wise, the more THD you will have.

Try creating this amount of power with a Class A/B amp.

Thats right, they dont exist...

Audioque is a good product just like FI, Sundown, RE, US Amps and the list can go on for quite some time. You can put my name and 14+ years of experience on that.

The 16V ratings are there for a reason. Most people running these larger amps are running @ 16V... Yes its true...

And FWIW our Rivi is over 14.4 Volts @ Idle...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Fi ... :D   Fi     ...     :D EmptyFri May 29, 2009 9:58 pm

Ryan from Ohio wrote:
And FWIW our Rivi is over 14.4 Volts @ Idle...

Ryan, what did you do if anything to get your Riv to put out 14.4v at idle?
I don't get that much, maybe 13.7v max.
Back to top Go down
Ryan from Ohio
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Fi ... :D   Fi     ...     :D EmptyFri May 29, 2009 10:03 pm

Nothing.

When I first got it going and had issues with the battery I put my DMM to it. Thats just what this car charges at @ idle.

At first I figured the Alternator was on the way out. Every other GM Vehicle Ive ever owned was right at 13.8V.

The Alternator is still going strong months later.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fi ... :D   Fi     ...     :D Empty

Back to top Go down

Fi ... :D
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Audio & Electronics-
Jump to: