Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

How to bleed power steering system?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

How to bleed power steering system? Empty
PostSubject: How to bleed power steering system?   How to bleed power steering system? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 5:15 pm

I remember reading previously that if you change the pump in your car, that you should fill the reservoir with fluid and then turn the wheel all the way to both sides for a few times while the system gets all the air out. I know I'm missing some steps here.... do you leave the cap off the reservoir when you do this?

TIA

-Rick
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: How to bleed power steering system?   How to bleed power steering system? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 6:03 pm

DO NOT start the car before bleeding the PS pump, or you will make more work for yourself.

jack the car up to relieve pressure on the tires.
with the car OFF turn the wheel lock to lock and bunch of times (like 40).
leave the cap off the reservoir b/c the fluid will go up and down, air bubbles working themselves out. it may even overflow some.
when the level of the reservoir is steady then you have the air out.
The first time you turn on the car it will make some noise, but will go away after 60sec or so.

little bubbles will eventually work their way out from normal use though.

Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: How to bleed power steering system?   How to bleed power steering system? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 6:19 pm

Thanks Matt. Exactly what I was looking for. smile
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: How to bleed power steering system?   How to bleed power steering system? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 6:28 pm

What are you using for fluid?
Or what is the recommended fluid for our pumps?
I'm going to flush my system soon and was wondering if anyone has used anything other than store bought Power Steering Fluid
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: How to bleed power steering system?   How to bleed power steering system? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 6:34 pm

i added some lucas to mine b/c someone on here recommended it. the pump whines a little more b/c the fluid is thicker, but the steering has firmed up and isnt so "loose" at points.
before adding that i had store bought synthetic PS fluid. some people use ATF for PS fluid, but i wouldnt recommend it since that's not what the book calls for.

Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: How to bleed power steering system?   How to bleed power steering system? EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 5:27 pm

When I was turning the wheel from side to side with the car off, I could hear some creaking coming from underneath the front end. Is that normal? Front end was off the ground.

I just used power steering fluid that's compatible for GM cars.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: How to bleed power steering system?   How to bleed power steering system? EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 4:35 pm

Update: Steering feels a lot better now with the new fluid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to bleed power steering system?   How to bleed power steering system? Empty

Back to top Go down

How to bleed power steering system?
Page 1 of 1