Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Power Steering Fluid Low, No Leak

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

Power Steering Fluid Low, No Leak Empty
PostSubject: Power Steering Fluid Low, No Leak   Power Steering Fluid Low, No Leak EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 12:22 am

Is it possible that after 10 years of this car being on the road that the power steering fluid could just be low? I just checked my power steering fluid and had to add some, it was just barely touching the stick. I've owned this car long enough and even went as far as putting clean cardboard under it to check for leaks, and I've not seen any spots. It's been low for awhile, I just got around to filling it though (no scolding please, I'll do that myself). I think it was low from when I purchased the car. when I checked it I had to clean about 1/4 of an inch of gunk off the cover, so I know it hadn't been checked recently. So anyway, there's no noticeable leaks that I can even come close to seeing, so what's an alternative? I put some fluid in with stop leak and conditioner. We'll see how it goes. I'm just curious as to whether or not the fluid can eventually evaporate after 11 years or what...

I would have checked it sooner but whoever it was that decided to put the power steering refill reservoir tucked away in the back UNDER a hot pipe needs to be hit over the head. It took me forever to find it and even consulting the manual didn't give many clues; "under the supercharger" it said. Sure buddy. lol
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering Fluid Low, No Leak   Power Steering Fluid Low, No Leak EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 6:57 am

I would just check it on a regular basis. You probably dont have a leak.

Your right, its easy to forget about the PS because its "out of sight, out of mind"

On my 2000 Regal its even harder to find/reach the resevoir.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering Fluid Low, No Leak   Power Steering Fluid Low, No Leak EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 10:58 am

ibmoses wrote:
I would just check it on a regular basis. You probably dont have a leak.

Your right, its easy to forget about the PS because its "out of sight, out of mind"

On my 2000 Regal its even harder to find/reach the resevoir.

Bert tavis

So it can just evaporate then? lol
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering Fluid Low, No Leak   Power Steering Fluid Low, No Leak EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 5:15 pm

GMFreak8 wrote:
So it can just evaporate then? lol
Something like that. Actually small amounts of fluid will need to be added over time due to vaporization.
The power steering system is a high pressure hydraulic system that operates at high pressures and temps. It is normal for hydraulic fluid (power steering fluid) to vaporize in very small amounts under those operating conditions, High heat and high pressure.
That's partially why the cap is vented. The crap you had to remove from the outside of the cap and around the reservoir was the remnants of fluid vapor and the dirt it had attracted over time.
If all you have to do is add an ounce or two of fluid to a tight system over a long period of time, I'd say the system is working very well.
No leaks to be worried about and don't put in any unnecessary additives.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering Fluid Low, No Leak   Power Steering Fluid Low, No Leak EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 11:21 am

That makes me feel better. Thanks for the support.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering Fluid Low, No Leak   Power Steering Fluid Low, No Leak Empty

Back to top Go down

Power Steering Fluid Low, No Leak
Page 1 of 1