Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

95 riv owners help

Go down 
+2
albertj
vovchik
6 posters
AuthorMessage
vovchik
Amateur
vovchik

Name : vovchik
Merit : -6

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 5:19 am

can any1 tell me what could be the problem that my engine pushes only up 2 4000 rpm?
Back to top Go down
https://s860.photobucket.com/albums/ab168/vovchik_88/
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 9:16 am

no.

but I can tell you that if you rev the car in neutral, the rev limiter cuts off the fuel at that rate.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 10:01 am

but dos it run smooth?
or maybe if not then you have a broken coil (that means that 2 of 4 cylinders are not working)
service engine light is on?
any more information can help us find your problem.

dos it do in drive position, neutral, parking?
how long its been so?
did you do any works, changes or anythign before it happened?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 12:18 pm

if it happens while driving you could have a clogged catalytic converter. Do you have a yellow check engine/service engine light on?
Back to top Go down
vovchik
Amateur
vovchik

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 7:14 pm

no the only lights that r on r abs and traction low coolant sometimes shows up but it happens no metter if i rev it on P or N or D now i read that the overdrive is off when u drive on D thats what i thought it was...
Back to top Go down
vovchik
Amateur
vovchik

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 7:16 pm

it drives perfect since i bought it and other then CD rotors rims and sound system i have not done anything 2 it... could it b that i need a new supercharger?
Back to top Go down
vovchik
Amateur
vovchik

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 7:17 pm

also is it true that a sc riv takes on an lt1 vette from the start?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 9:33 pm

vovchik wrote:
it drives perfect since i bought it and other then CD rotors rims and sound system i have not done anything 2 it... could it b that i need a new supercharger?
Doubt that very much.! These Superchargers are very reliable, just like the 3800 engine.
You have another problem. Don't know what it is though....sorry.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 9:37 pm

vovchik wrote:
no the only lights that r on r abs and traction low coolant sometimes shows up but it happens no metter if i rev it on P or N or D now i read that the overdrive is off when u drive on D thats what i thought it was...
Say this again in english....It happens whether your in drive or neutral, correct.
Whether your driving it under a load or not? You should only be trying to obtain 4,000 RPM while driving, not while sitting in neutral.
And what is your question about Overdrive......
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 9:47 pm

I agree with Rick - I'm not sure exactly when you can't reach 4000 RPM - the computer should stop it if you try in Neutral or Park.

We won't be too harsh on you for your language, I realize English is hard to pick up, But please try to describe as completely as you can, and use full sentences whenever possible.

I would doubt a stock Riv would take an LT1 'Vette off the line, it's very hard to get a FWD car to have traction!
Back to top Go down
vovchik
Amateur
vovchik

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 4:30 am

i donno what u guys r talkin bout im just 2 lazy 2 write all the words sometimes... but anyhow if i wouldnt get 2 6000 rpm on PARK or NEUTRAL i wouldnt ask 4 help now would i?
Back to top Go down
vovchik
Amateur
vovchik

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 4:32 am

RE: I'm not sure exactly when you can't reach 4000 RPM - the computer should stop it if you try in Neutral or Park.

What??

RE: I would doubt a stock Riv would take an LT1 'Vette off the line, it's very hard to get a FWD car to have traction!

do u mean the stock SC riv?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 9:31 am

vovchik wrote:
i donno what u guys r talkin bout im just 2 lazy 2 write all the words sometimes...

It makes it very hard to understand your description of the problem. You are writing in text-speak, which is not as descriptive or easy to understand. Maybe on twitter it makes sense, but I couldn't figure it out.

Some people have posted that they can't rev the engine to 6000 in neutral and why not, so because you are new here and didn't explain your problem in plain english and thoroughly, you got my lazy answer, which is to start describing your problem at the beginning.

Like I said earlier, maybe your catalytic converter is plugged.

Please describe your problem completely. Does it happen in all gears? What if you hold the shifter in 1st gear? Is it shifting, or just bogging down? How does it shift to the next gear - does it shift when you let off the throttle? How long can you sit at WOT and not go past 4000, or does it slowly creep past?

I'm trying to help you figure out your problem. If you can't describe it so that we can all understand it, I'm sorry but maybe somebody else can help you. If you make our kind, free help like pulling teeth, you aren't going to get much help.

Also, you posted your engine question in the "Showroom" subforum. If you really want anybody to help, ask the admin to move this thread in to the proper place.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 11:16 am

vovchik wrote:
RE: I'm not sure exactly when you can't reach 4000 RPM - the computer should stop it if you try in Neutral or Park.

What??

RE: I would doubt a stock Riv would take an LT1 'Vette off the line, it's very hard to get a FWD car to have traction!

do u mean the stock SC riv?

About the computer: The Riviera has five computers on board. If I remember right they are the Powertrain (PCM behind glove box), Ignition(under the coil pack) 2 for Body control (the MALL under the package shelf and the seat memory under the drivers seat)), HVAC control (in the HVAC control head), and one in the radio. They are all addressible via the OBD port under the dash on the drivers' side. It is usually the case that the OBD port plug is not where it is supposed to be, they are not screwed into place and in practice mechanics either pull them down so they dangle or push them up into the opening - if you fish around with fingers you'll find it.

The statement "the computer stops it if you rev over 4000 RPM in neutral or park" means that the powertrain computer turns off the fuel injectors if the engine is revved faster than 4000 RPM with the car in neutral or park, except under certain conditions. By the way, the powertrain computer also turns off the fuel injectors if the RPMs hit redline (except under certain conditions) and if the ground speed (as sent by the speed sensor) exceeds 112 miles per hour, the limit of the OEM S-rated tires. I'll give you a hint - you can sneak past the rev limiter somewhat if you bring the engine speed up slowly. I do not recommend that, however, because it causes a *lot* of unnecessary wear in the engine in a very, very short amount of time. As installed in our cars, the 3800 engine--normal or supercharged--is set up to produce a lot of torque at low engine speeds. It would not surprise me if high revving caused an immediate and catastrophic failure of an engine, modified or not.

The statement "doubt a stock Riv will take an LT1 'Vette off the line" means exactly that. The Riv engine does not produce as much power and the Riv's drivetrain does not command as much traction as those of the 'Vette.

Finally - you earlier mentioned you have warning lights on sometimes - ABS, traction, low coolant. Your problem here is that those lights are set so they come on either because you *really* have a problem or because the sensor is failing. I am not you - but if I were you I would fix those problems first. For instance if your coolant is low, the next 'Vette you chase may be your last in this car without major repairs. If you do not fix the ABS/traction the Riv will be *very* difficult to control when, for instance, cornering or braking on wet leaves or icy streets - given that you are in Toronto, ON, it is certain that you will experience both driving conditions very, very soon. I suggest you get on it and fix them or have them fixed pronto. If you use the "Search" function on this editboard you will find the info you need to do it yourself.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
vovchik
Amateur
vovchik

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 7:00 pm

thank you very much derek and albert im really sorry about the answers i let my ego get the bad out of me just because i did not understand what you guys meant about my writing from now on ill try my best to be as clear as possible thank you guys again... ill be sure to check all the problems mentioned above...
Back to top Go down
vovchik
Amateur
vovchik

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 7:11 pm

There is nothing wrong with the way the the car drives, you can barely feel the gears change, the engine is a bit loud but the louder it is the more i like it ( it doesnt mean that ill wait till the engine dies to do something about it) btw did anyone hear the riv with the exhaust system disconnected? (i was drivin like dat for maybe a few weeks and still could not get enough of it) now back to biz, the only reason why i thought theres something wrong was because while driving 4000 rpm is the most i ever got but then again with all the power till that point who needs more?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 7:39 pm

What is the velocity of the vehicle at 4000 RPM?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
vovchik
Amateur
vovchik

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 8:40 pm

i didnt really get what you mean but while driving i barely get to 3000 rpm but even if i get on a hwy i run 120, 140 (kph) on 1500 rpm
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 8:36 am

So when you are driving, if you go full throttle, does it just stop accelerating at 4000 RPM? Does it shift into second? Do you have to let off the gas pedal for it to shift? What happens if you do keep your foot on the gas? Does it just stay in 1st and creep upwards, or does it _Never_ go past 4000 RPM?

Is it the same in 2nd gear?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 1:30 pm

vovchik wrote:
i didnt really get what you mean but while driving i barely get to 3000 rpm but even if i get on a hwy i run 120, 140 (kph) on 1500 rpm

I meant what I wrote. How fast is car moving (that is velocity) when the engine speed is 4000 RPM?

For the rest of you reading this: No matter how Vovchik B. answers this question, the answer answers the question.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
vovchik
Amateur
vovchik

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 5:56 pm

well the top that i got to was 160 and i belive it was on around 2000-2500 rpm... when it gets to 4000 it just changes to the next gear... bro your trippin me out....
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 8:50 pm

vovchik wrote:
well the top that i got to was 160 and i belive it was on around 2000-2500 rpm... when it gets to 4000 it just changes to the next gear... bro your trippin me out....

No... I'm done. WHat you can do is disconnect the battery for a couple hours so the powertrain control module resets itself. In the following days that you are driving it will learn your preferences and adjust shift points et cetera somewhat.

Other than that, you need to fix whatever's wrong that makes the ABS/Traction light come on, and whatever is making the low coolant light come on. When low coolant light is on check coolant. If the overflow bottle has teh right level, it is as likely as not the sensor is bad. To be sure though you should open the radiator cap. If the engine is hot use a towel to cover the whole cap whole you open it. Be sure engine is off. Some coolant may spill out.

As for the ABS, you need to go to a good brake place or a GM dealer. Either your ABS servo has rusted frozen or you have one or more bad wheel sensors. The wheel sensors are part of the hub assemblies. If you have someone instal lfor you they will charge you around $200 - $300 each.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 9:15 pm

vovchik wrote:
when it gets to 4000 it just changes to the next gear
Is this what you are trying to say is your problem.?
During acceleration it will not go past 4,000 rpm because the transmission is shifting up a gear no matter how far the gas pedal is depressed.???
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 10:15 pm

Make sure the floormat is not preventing the accelerator pedal from being depressed all the way to the "floor' happy
Take the floormat out of the car to find out. hi

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

95 riv owners help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv owners help   95 riv owners help Empty

Back to top Go down

95 riv owners help
Page 1 of 1