Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Another new guy

Go down 
+8
jimmyriv
jonly
1wickedninja
robotennis61
T Riley
stan
L67
Tomcat-1
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Tomcat-1
Special

Name : Tom
Merit : 0

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 12:55 am

I bought my '95 Riviera 10 years ago. What's left of it survived my ex and has been sitting for almost 3 years. Time to do something with it and it needs work!
Another new guy Fu-Buick
Still looks pretty good, cleans up well.. runs horrible. Not going to let it die just yet.
Will be cruising the threads, impressed with what I've already seen!
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 1:10 am

Welcome! hi
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 1:29 am

HI Tomcat-1 WELCOME
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 1:47 am

Welcome Aboard dude
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 2:36 am

Hi friend!
rivs are like dull rusty knives,let em sit around long enough and they just get sharper
Back to top Go down
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

Name : Josh
Merit : 5

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 10:28 am

welcome and good luck!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/1wickedninja
jonly
Enthusiast
jonly

Name : james
Merit : 9

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 10:33 am

Welcome!
I'm working on a 96 that I bought the same year you bought yours, and I'm getting it back together after it sat for a year. What sorts of problems are you looking at? I imagine we'll be doing the same sort of work, should be interesting to hear how you're coming along.
Back to top Go down
jimmyriv
Junkie
jimmyriv

Name : James
Merit : 8

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 10:45 am

Welcome to the site, Tom cheers
I'm sure that you can find all the info you need here
to help you with your quest, as most of us have...
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/jimmyriv
Tomcat-1
Special

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 10:54 am

Thank You for the warm welcome smile
The ex ran this car off the road a few times
High centered it 3 times, on stumps and a fence post.
And, I found the back tires dangling in the same drainage ditch twice, the car was resting on the back bumper, she was backing out of a driveway both times and landed 15 ft from the driveway.
I swear she didn't know there were mirrors on the car.
The result of all of this off-road action and no telling what all else I never knew of, was a badly damaged exhaust, the wiring harness to the transmission is ripped apart and melted together from the heat escaping the damaged exhaust, The brakes are shot, there were rocks wedged between the dust shield and the rotors. I replaced the tires a few times lol...
And, as a bonus, she never bought a tank of premium gas for it.

All that said, I am still amazed that the body is in such good shape.

Other problems include, Idler pulleys that were going bad left and right, needs plugs and wires again, needs one coil pack, the seat has a problem in the front elevation adjustment, the supercharger has started growling at idle (yay) and the A/C works only when it wants to

I thought about scrapping or parting it out, but I'm kind of attached to it.. I'm considering a few mods but only if the engine is in good shape when I get it drivable again. Looks like it's going to take a while to get things going again.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 11:02 am

Welcome, Tom. Sorry to hear about the Riv's treatment, but everyone here can understand that things out of our control can & do happen with any car that's 15 years old. Now it's just a matter of tackling each issue one at a time.

Please read through our forums, FAQ threads, and write-ups for information related to the problems you're having. Feel free to post questions in those threads, or start a new thread in the appropriate forum if you need to.

Best of luck with fixing the car. I'm sure the guys here will be more than helpful when you need it!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
jonly
Enthusiast
jonly

Name : james
Merit : 9

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 11:04 am

wow...

I've also done the idler pulleys, the supercharger coupler install, and all the gaskets up front.

I did brakes this weekend but blew a rusty steel line while pumping to bleed, so next weekend is accounted for also.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 12:57 pm

Greetings!
And welcome aboard.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
woggy
Enthusiast
woggy

Name : Paul
Location : Altoona, Florida (Somewhere in the ocala national forest)
Merit : 7

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 3:13 pm

welcome Tomcat-1
got my 95 about 7 months ago (Towed in) and fixed 1 thing at a time and as $$ allowed, been on the road for about 2 months now and well worth the time and money invested. without this site and the great people here it still would be sitting. So good luck with the riv and were here to help.
Back to top Go down
Tomcat-1
Special

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 4:00 pm

Thanks again guys smile
I remember how nice the car was when I bought it. I used to drive 300 to 1000 miles every weekend. Went places and saw things I haven't seen since. I'd love to have it back up close to where it was. I had my eye on a 94 Corvette when I bought this car. For the long trips I was planning, the Riviera was so much more comfortable, it was no contest. I could ramble on lol.. . but it would get really boring :p
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 7:20 pm

Tomcat-1 wrote:
Thank You for the warm welcome smile
The ex ran this car off the road a few times
High centered it 3 times, on stumps and a fence post.
And, I found the back tires dangling in the same drainage ditch twice, the car was resting on the back bumper, she was backing out of a driveway both times and landed 15 ft from the driveway.
I swear she didn't know there were mirrors on the car.
The result of all of this off-road action and no telling what all else I never knew of, was a badly damaged exhaust, the wiring harness to the transmission is ripped apart and melted together from the heat escaping the damaged exhaust, The brakes are shot, there were rocks wedged between the dust shield and the rotors. I replaced the tires a few times lol...
And, as a bonus, she never bought a tank of premium gas for it.

All that said, I am still amazed that the body is in such good shape.

Other problems include, Idler pulleys that were going bad left and right, needs plugs and wires again, needs one coil pack, the seat has a problem in the front elevation adjustment, the supercharger has started growling at idle (yay) and the A/C works only when it wants to

I thought about scrapping or parting it out, but I'm kind of attached to it.. I'm considering a few mods but only if the engine is in good shape when I get it drivable again. Looks like it's going to take a while to get things going again.

IT's all pretty fixable actually.

First I'd reverse the physical damage. If you want a "hot rod' exhaust I just might sell you mine (tired of it) but seriously, just buy the needed components from monsterpartsonline.com or rockauto.com. Sounds like the down pipe might be cracked if the heat from exhaust fried teh trany wires - they are available too. Quickest inexpensive fix would be to get all the parts form rockauto.com, that will give you a Walker aluminized exhaust. Only other place I know to get all the parts OTC is your local NAPA or Advantage Auto. If you want stainless you have to get it custom made I think- I never got a straight answer from the dealer as to whether the factory repair parts were stainless or alumnized. But they do sell them. They should be same as new just sectioned for shipping. If you have all the parts, this is a day at most.

Second I would ask Ed Morad [http://moradpartscompany.com/] about getting a replacement wiring harness for the tranny - since you are waiting anyway you could ask - also check with monsterpartsonline.com - email in the request - if their price quote is not unreasonable then just tell them to order it. You will be able by and large to unplug the old and plug in the new although geting the wires into the looms will be somewhat tedious. Another day.

Third I would check the rear links, the front subframe, and the oil pan for damage, and repair them. If subframe is OK this is a halfday. IF not I am not sure.

Fourth I'd get plugs, wires, coil pack and idler pullies - get the factory wires and a Delphi coil. Rockauto.com probably has best price. Have to remove the engine mount to get at the big idler but other than that it's a couple hours. Some of the idler bolts are reverse threaded by the way. If the idler spins the direction that one would unscrew a normal bolt, then that idler's mounting bolt will be reverse threaded. These are a half day all together, at most.

Fifth are the brakes. On the one hand it will take the entire day to overhaul brakes, asuming the brake lines are not rusted. Allow an additional day if you have to replace the hard lines. Allow yet another day if you have to replace the ABS motor and valve pack (whcih I would get from Morad). You probably want to repace the soft lines and wheel calipers, as well as rotors and pads; you also may want a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to hack off the heads of the screws holding the brackets for the soft lines, a drill to ream them out of and a tap to tap new threads in their mounts on the strut towers. This overhaul when I did it took me a whole (sunup to sundown) summer day, I think about 9-10 hours - and was def worth every minute.

Sixth - the seat and the A/C. Seat you might need a meter, takes a while to troubleshoot. As for the AC, either you need to find a leak OR it's an actuator problem. By fixing the other things first this will be that much easier to deal with. I'd allow all day but with a couple lucky breaks this sill take an hour to diagnose then when you get the parts an hour or two to fix. While you are at it pull the rear seat and check the battery.

Then consider draining the gas tank and repace fuel filter, put in fresh gas and a large ("to treat 20 gallons") bottle of Techron cleaner. If there is a PITB job in this list, that might be it. You might need new straps to hold up the tank. Lucky you, the Riv's tank is plastic. This is another couple hours and I do not know what you do with the stale gas, so you may want to pay an independent mechanic to do it - but bottom line is I recommend you get it done..

So I am thinking several days of work and you are roling again.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy Empty

Back to top Go down

Another new guy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General :: Welcome!-
Jump to: