Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

New car NEED HELP!!!

Go down 
+5
1998 Riv
robotennis61
Rickw
BMD
BeadleBorg
9 posters
AuthorMessage
BeadleBorg
Rookie
BeadleBorg

Name : Eric
Merit : 0

New car NEED HELP!!! Empty
PostSubject: New car NEED HELP!!!   New car NEED HELP!!! EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 5:27 pm

So I inherited a 98 SC Riv because my stepfather just bought a 77 Mustang Cobra a nice clean classic but I think I got the better deal but there’s only one problem. The pearl white paint is pealing off and I need to stop it. I can’t afford to get it painted right now so I need a quick easy fix to stop the paint from removing itself. Here are pics, you can see the darker areas are what has peeled off recently and its getting worse every day can anyone help??????
New car NEED HELP!!! 38126860004_medium
New car NEED HELP!!! 38126860005_medium
Here is a couple of regular pics just to show off what I got for free!
New car NEED HELP!!! 38126860007_medium
New car NEED HELP!!! 38126860006_medium
New car NEED HELP!!! 38126860002_medium
New car NEED HELP!!! 38126860003_medium
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: New car NEED HELP!!!   New car NEED HELP!!! EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 5:31 pm

Welcome Eric, was the car painted recently? Is that paint under the white pearl? It does not look like this car was prepped properly. Unfortunately, I think you might need a re-paint because that white pearl is just gonna keep peeling. Nice freebie though!

P.S. Looks like your missing a couple of hubcaps. If you end up getting new rims, I would be glad to buy a rim and center cap off ya! wink
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: New car NEED HELP!!!   New car NEED HELP!!! EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 5:52 pm

[quote="BeadleBorg"The pearl white paint is pealing off and I need to stop it. I can’t afford to get it painted right now so I need a quick easy fix to stop the paint from removing itself.
Unfortunately there is no quick and easy and inexpensive way to deal with this.
The paint has to be stripped and the sheet-metal properly prepped for new primer and paint.
Your Step Father knew what he was doing, when he got rid of the car.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: New car NEED HELP!!!   New car NEED HELP!!! EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 6:07 pm

it doesnt look like a pearl white? are you sure its not just a plain white? if so thata simple fix. the pillar streches from back to front seamlessly. mask off the car and prep that side paint it. sounds simple and it is.. for the trunk i would do the same. i bet a quart is enough to do the 2 with some to spare. tackle it big guy!
Back to top Go down
BeadleBorg
Rookie
BeadleBorg

PostSubject: Re: New car NEED HELP!!!   New car NEED HELP!!! EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 6:46 pm

its def. pearl white it just lost its shine. I know it needs a new paint job but I was thinking if I put a clear coat on the spots that are peeling hoping that would stop it. and when it gets repainted its going to get sanded and preped anyways so it cant hurt right? And yes Im missing 2 out of the 4 caps and was kinda hoping someone had some for sale here..??
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: New car NEED HELP!!!   New car NEED HELP!!! EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 7:13 pm

yeah..peel as much of the loose stuff off and sand down a little ,go to the paint store and buy a spray can of the closest white you can find,so she don't look like dog shit ya know, and spritz on till you have a semi decent coat and then hit her with a little clear. just to keep up appearances until the real paint job happens. cant hurt
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: New car NEED HELP!!!   New car NEED HELP!!! EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 7:50 pm

There should be a gray primer coat under the white. Yours looks like it has a gloss to it, unless it's just the image quality? My bright white diamond (the factory name) is peeling on the backside of the trunk lid, and along the passenger rear quarter seam. The gray underneath is dull/flat. Not much you can do to stop it, and still have it look "good".
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: New car NEED HELP!!!   New car NEED HELP!!! EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 8:08 pm

Is the Driver's side door removed in the last picture.???
Back to top Go down
71stagegs
Enthusiast
71stagegs

Name : steve
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: New car NEED HELP!!!   New car NEED HELP!!! EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 8:15 pm

Rick all the riv's had same problem paint rep told me sealer used buy gm was to hard paint did'nt stick to it
Back to top Go down
BeadleBorg
Rookie
BeadleBorg

PostSubject: Re: New car NEED HELP!!!   New car NEED HELP!!! EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 8:20 pm

Rickw wrote:
Is the Driver's side door removed in the last picture.???
No just opened the door to show interior color.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: New car NEED HELP!!!   New car NEED HELP!!! EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 11:29 pm

Looks like the paint is peeling right off the primer to me. Best off using a DA buffer with 400 grit to sand and strip those areas down so they are level, followed by priming, painting. Anything else it going to be tough. frown
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: New car NEED HELP!!!   New car NEED HELP!!! EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 1:04 am

I'd get "DupliColor" paint to match (maybe a paint store or NAPA dealer could point to where to get) and clean/wet sand/clean/mask off/paint the peeling areas.

The result should look OK from 5 ft away, and should be passable until you can repaint the car.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: New car NEED HELP!!!   New car NEED HELP!!! EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 8:39 am

If I remember correctly it was a problem with the white paints on a lot of GM cars. For a quick fix you could do as Albertj suggests, that would keep it from corroding at least.
I did it on the leading edge of the hood of my BAD Silver Arrow because there were pits in the aluminum and I wanted to get that under control, but it will definitely show. headshot
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: New car NEED HELP!!!   New car NEED HELP!!! EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 8:42 am

By the way,
Welcome to the Forum thumbsup
And congratulations on getting the Riv!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New car NEED HELP!!!   New car NEED HELP!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

New car NEED HELP!!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum