Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Surging Tach and Car when overdrive engages

Go down 
+5
AA
LARRY70GS
albertj
Eldo
GMFreak8
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

Surging Tach and Car when overdrive engages - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surging Tach and Car when overdrive engages   Surging Tach and Car when overdrive engages - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 5:39 pm

Update: I've came to accept this surging as just a typical characteristic of the car

I have noticed a new thing though. It seems to hang onto a gear when coming to a stop. You can literally feel it sometimes lurch when you come to a more abrupt stop and it downshifts into first. This happened on my last car, but I can't remember what caused it. What exactly controls the downshifts and would cause it to hold a gear for too long on downshifts?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Surging Tach and Car when overdrive engages   Surging Tach and Car when overdrive engages - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 6:03 pm

I had a similar problem once when one of my vac lines cracked. There really wasn't any other symptom for me, otherwise the car ran fine. I also had a MAF sensor problem at the time. Both fixed, and issue went away.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Surging Tach and Car when overdrive engages   Surging Tach and Car when overdrive engages - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 6:17 pm

AA wrote:
I had a similar problem once when one of my vac lines cracked. There really wasn't any other symptom for me, otherwise the car ran fine. I also had a MAF sensor problem at the time. Both fixed, and issue went away.

Yeah my last Buick had a similar issue and it had to do with a vacuum line. I can't remember what the vacuum line controlled though. I bet a line cracked slightly from the really cold weather we've been having here.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Surging Tach and Car when overdrive engages   Surging Tach and Car when overdrive engages - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 6:29 pm

I remember the Buick dealership took it out for a test drive and could not find the issue. Put up with it for some time, then took the car to INTENSE for an unrelated service; they found the cracked line, replaced it for free.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Surging Tach and Car when overdrive engages   Surging Tach and Car when overdrive engages - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 6:53 pm

AA wrote:
I remember the Buick dealership took it out for a test drive and could not find the issue. Put up with it for some time, then took the car to INTENSE for an unrelated service; they found the cracked line, replaced it for free.

I'll have to look things over. I'm just driving it right now until things warm up and my checkbook recovers from christmas. Noticing the delayed shifts, the tick, and the clunk from the steering so far. I think the clunk is the steering knuckle or something. If you look down right directly where the steering linkage is under the brake reservoir you could see it noticeably move and wiggle along with having a feeling of clunkiness in the wheel whenever you turn it from off center. It seems to bind slightly midway when turning to the right too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Surging Tach and Car when overdrive engages   Surging Tach and Car when overdrive engages - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Surging Tach and Car when overdrive engages
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2