Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

cutting out on acceleration

Go down 
+4
AA
Hometown Hero
GMFreak8
mak996
8 posters
AuthorMessage
mak996
Special

Name : mark
Merit : 0

cutting out on acceleration Empty
PostSubject: cutting out on acceleration   cutting out on acceleration EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 5:18 pm

i have a 96 riv with 200k. just put new ac iridium plugs and new plug wires and the car has started cutting out on hard acceleration. i am not sure if it is a bad fuel filter, water in the gas or a fouled plug. anyone have any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: cutting out on acceleration   cutting out on acceleration EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 5:28 pm

These engines do not like aftermarket plugs. Seems as soon as I changed mine to the bosch platinum plugs that I purchased I had the same issue. Went back to the OEM AC Delco plugs and worked perfect. At 200K though, you definitely should replace the fuel filter as that can cause the cutting out too. Unless it's been changed within the last 60K it's due for a new one.
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: cutting out on acceleration   cutting out on acceleration EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 5:56 pm

GMFreak wrote: "These engines do not like aftermarket plugs."

Those aren't aftermarket plugs, they are what AC Delco (GM) offers as an improved over OE, iridium plug for that car. The AC Delco recommended iridium plug is # 41-101 for the Series II. I assume you replaced the wires with GM wires? Even so its probably not the issue, I have the AC Delco #41-940 platinum in my 95 they are not factory plugs that would have come in the car either and they work fine, but I also changed out to MSD 8.8 wires, and the MSD 8224 coil packs.

I had a similar surging issue before I changed my ignition parts in my 95. I changed the SC oil again seemed to make all the difference. But I would suspect fuel delivery problem is your source. 3gears
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: cutting out on acceleration   cutting out on acceleration EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 6:52 pm

I would suspect spark is the issue.

The problem started after you changed the wires and plugs. Is your engine supercharged? If so, the wires must be specifically for a supercharged application, or they could cause the symptom you're experiencing. Not any 3800 wire set will do.

As for plugs, our engines are fine with aftermarket plugs. I've been running Autolites for over 150k miles. Supercharged engines do not like platinum or iridium plugs as well as copper. However, it should not cause the symptom you're describing.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: cutting out on acceleration   cutting out on acceleration EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 7:03 pm

[quote="AA"]I would suspect spark is the issue. the wires must be specifically for a supercharged application, or they could cause the symptom you're experiencing. Not any 3800 wire set will do.
i didnt know that? makes me wonder what else i dont know?? dunce
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: cutting out on acceleration   cutting out on acceleration EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 7:08 pm

Whats the ground for your coil packs look like? Clean? Tight? could also be a area to look @.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: cutting out on acceleration   cutting out on acceleration EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 7:22 pm

my mechanic showed me a schematic of the AICV and it ties into a few othe systems...clean it and see what happens. when i put a new one in ,it took care of so many little problems that haunted the ride quality for so long( that sounds corny)
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: cutting out on acceleration   cutting out on acceleration EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 8:21 pm

You can always get a bad plug or wire right out of the box.

And Robo, what is the AICV ?????
Air Idle Control Valve ?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: cutting out on acceleration   cutting out on acceleration EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm

yep
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: cutting out on acceleration   cutting out on acceleration EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 8:29 pm

Is more commonly known as the IAC valve.
Idle Air Control valve.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: cutting out on acceleration   cutting out on acceleration EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 8:32 pm

sorry, i allways get it wrong...
Back to top Go down
mak996
Special

Name : mark
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: cutting out on acceleration   cutting out on acceleration EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 11:27 pm

AA wrote:
I would suspect spark is the issue.

The problem started after you changed the wires and plugs. Is your engine supercharged? If so, the wires must be specifically for a supercharged application, or they could cause the symptom you're experiencing. Not any 3800 wire set will do.

As for plugs, our engines are fine with aftermarket plugs. I've been running Autolites for over 150k miles. Supercharged engines do not like platinum or iridium plugs as well as copper. However, it should not cause the symptom you're describing.

yes is an s/c engine, wires were not GM, but a buddy told me his mitsubishi never ran right on other than OEM spark plugs
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: cutting out on acceleration   cutting out on acceleration EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 12:14 am

I would also go right back to what you just changed. You just replaced plugs and wires, then this problem started? Lots of things to check. Make sure the wires are in the right order. It's very easy to crack the spark plug installation on the rear plugs. It's very possible to have a bad wire right out of the box.

Triple check these things and see if you are still having the problem. Really, pull all the spark plugs out and inspect each one. I find it easy to crack the rear plugs when reaching down over the back of this motor.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: cutting out on acceleration   cutting out on acceleration EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 12:37 am

Compared to most other stock ignition systems the OE ignition for the SC Riv packs a wallop. No kidding you need to use factory wires, or other high-spec wires. Bosch, Autolite or other wires that *fit* will not necesariy *work* on the SC Riv.

I use Magnecor 8mm wires and am *very* happy with them. However I don't want to get into a shouting contest over wires. Point is, many wires that are sold as high performance actually are pretty crappy.

Cheapest way to go IIRC is to get Delco wires from monsterpartsonline.com or gmpartsdirect.com; I think RockAuto.com sells the Delco wires too. Magnecors (magnecor.com) are a little more $$ (really, just a little more not a whole lot more) and are excellent wires... just be aware that the Magnecor folks kind of have an attitude but as well as their wires work (I have over 100,000 miles on my set), I can see why.

If you still have the old Delco wires and they were working - you actually might want to put them back on to see if the problem goes away. If so, great - order a replacement set of OE wires from gmpartsdirect or whomever.

As for those Bosch plugs, I found that the Bosch plats are problematic, in my experience the center anode tends to erode then they quit working (well). I had good service from Bosch Platinum +2 plugs inan Audi I used to own. Anything else I tried them in (Volvo, Subaru, Plymouth) they did not run all that long before going bad. The Volvo liked AC copper plugs. The Subaru liked Autolite platinums. The Plymouth liked copper Champions.

Good luck

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cutting out on acceleration   cutting out on acceleration Empty

Back to top Go down

cutting out on acceleration
Page 1 of 1