Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Grinding noise from engine bay? (Series I)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

Grinding noise from engine bay? (Series I) Empty
PostSubject: Grinding noise from engine bay? (Series I)   Grinding noise from engine bay? (Series I) EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 1:53 pm

Hey guys, this I am thinking maybe a SC noise but not sure. What is happening is I am getting a sort of grinding noise coming from engine bay when I am stopped in an intersection with the brakes applied. Its defination not relation to the brake components I am positive it is coming from the engine or its SC. Anybody have an idea on this 1? My guess was SC coupler but thought I would test the waters here before jumping to conclusions. Thanks for any help you can offer. hi
Back to top Go down
jojomcphee
Special

Name : Reggie
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Grinding noise from engine bay? (Series I)   Grinding noise from engine bay? (Series I) EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 2:16 pm

It could by your AC compressor clutch is seizing up. Take a look at the spot in your engine bay right below your AC compressor. You might have metal shavings. With hood open and engine running you should be able to tell if it's from there. This happened to mine.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Grinding noise from engine bay? (Series I)   Grinding noise from engine bay? (Series I) EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 2:32 pm

To be sure if it may be the A/C clutch, just turn the Defroster on and off and listen to the noise.
The defroster setting will turn the A/c compressor on in the winter.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Grinding noise from engine bay? (Series I)   Grinding noise from engine bay? (Series I) EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 4:22 pm

It could also easily be an idler or tensioner pulley. I recommend removing the belts and spinning the pullies by hand. While the belt is off, give the supercharger a spin back and forth. It could be the coupler making the noise. A lot of back and forth play would indicate a worn coupler.
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Grinding noise from engine bay? (Series I)   Grinding noise from engine bay? (Series I) EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 4:28 pm

K thanx for the help guys I will have a look at it all again this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

Name : Andrew Zamiska
Merit : 63

PostSubject: Re: Grinding noise from engine bay? (Series I)   Grinding noise from engine bay? (Series I) EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 9:00 pm

A recent grinding...and i mean GRINDING....noise that happened to me was a bad waterpump. Something else to check into too, unless yours is newer. Check for pulley wobble on ANY pulleys in the engine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grinding noise from engine bay? (Series I)   Grinding noise from engine bay? (Series I) Empty

Back to top Go down

Grinding noise from engine bay? (Series I)
Page 1 of 1