Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Its a car part now

Name : Michael
Merit : 4

GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake Empty
PostSubject: GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake   GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 2:44 am

The fender well intake I had on ingested water, due to fender being modified(mostly missing). Do not do that without a way to keep water out. There was water up to the bottom of throttle body I'm told(shop drained water so I never saw it).

The filter use to sit inside that V of brackets.
GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake DSCF0006-1
GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake DSCF0007

I put a temporary hot air intake in, intake temps hit 173F on 37F degree day. Excellent example of what not to do also, should be fine for winter with n/a engine though. Would have put stock intake back on if I had all of it still. (airaid pre-filter was not onit when it sucked up the water)
GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake DSCF0005-1
Back to top Go down
Its a car part now

PostSubject: Re: GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake   GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 3:18 am

I was going to fix the water ingestion problem by installing a pre-filter, A.E.M. bypass, and a splash shield. (I have mentioned this before in other threads, but did not want to go into detail on something to far off topic.)

When I was installing the water repellent pre-filter pictured in last post, the flange holding the filter on cracked. Not a good picture, but the crack is visable. The white material around the flange is foam, this also ripped around the edges when I was trying to get filter out of fender, clamps where rusted. GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake DSCF0003-2

I am making a new bottom to the wave terminator box. This box is an expansion chamber after a calculated distance to Throttle body to attempt to tune intake. I don't know if it works like the math says it does, no way to test before and after. The white foam will be replaced with 1/4" polypropylene from that green cutting board. GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake DSCF0006-2 (the parts where laid on plywood for future upper intake for photo.)

I still have to find a new flange to replace cracked one. I am not using same part as before to avoid future cracks. I'll have to walk around the farm store, Home Depot, and Menards till I spot something. I may make a flange from 4"od 3"id stacked plywood rings, if one of those stores has 3"&4" inch hole saws for low price. (intake is 3")

The A.E.M. bypass valve is actually designed to stop water ingestion. It bypass the FWI for an inline under hood filter when water starts climbing the tube. Modified Magazine test I have the same part number they used in that test.
GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake Oldintaketube
Back to top Go down
Its a car part now

PostSubject: Re: GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake   GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 3:24 am

I forgot about the splash shield. I was going to make a sheet metal cover out of aluminum flashing to cover the side of filter facing the tire. I may also make a new fender panel out of nylon screen. it would let the air through, but the water would be slowed and/or deflected by the screen, like a grease splatter screen on a pan.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake   GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 10:00 am

How much $$ is the AEM By-Pass valve.?
Back to top Go down
Its a car part now

PostSubject: Re: GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake   GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 11:53 am

It is about $50 dollars from Jegs or Amazon.com. The 3" is the biggest size though, AEM was looking more at the import 4cyls when they designed it. Still bigger then stock throttle body opening though.
Back to top Go down
Northeast

Name :
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake   GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 5:53 pm

AEM warns the bypass valve should not be used for turbo or sc.....
Back to top Go down
95rivy
Enthusiast
95rivy

Name : curt
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake   GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 7:32 pm

At home depot you can get a roofing boot to go over pipe vents, this should work good for you to make up a flange. They come in different sizes so you can get the right size.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake   GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake Empty

Back to top Go down

GOOD IDEA:fwi/air intake,BAD IDEA:fender delete/H20 intake
Page 1 of 1