Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Another new guy

Go down 
+10
99Rivman
#1BearsFan
deekster_caddy
Rickw
DEMonte1997
Eldo
Abaddon
albertj
stan
Woodsman
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Woodsman
Special

Name : Wayne Brandt
Merit : 0

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 9:06 pm

Just joining the board. Earlier this evening I got my 1995 Riv from the shop with a newly rebuilt transmission. I had planned on parking my truck (1993 F-250 Diesel) for the winter & not have to drive it at all, but the Riv's transmission went south on me. Drove my truck for about a month (which needs a clutch). When it rains, it pours. Parted with $1640 for the rebuild. 3 year 50k mile written warranty. Seems like a shop I'll be doing business with again ($400 labor to do my clutch). Anyway, my Riv has 150k miles on it (I've had it for about 15k), teal green exterior and interior. I'm dreaming about a '98 or '99-maybe someday. mine is definetly not without it's problems (have to lock the doors from the inside manually or the alarm will go off later-pointers?). Heated seat no worky. Dimmer/wiper switch getting sloppy. Bottom line is that I don't think the car was very well taken care of, but it's a start, and long drives in it are great!!
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 9:26 pm

Hi Woodsman Welcome.
the doors and the heated seats can be fixed.
These are great cars.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 9:29 pm

Heated seat - usually not too tough and parts canbe had, but requires disassembling seat. Search on this site for a 'write-up' that shows how.

Lock doors manually or alarm goes off - if you don't have a factory remote, then no kidding you have to get one, and if an aftermarket alarm is installed you probably have to remove it. If those measures don't work you are *not* sunk, just means you might have a bum door latch (the latches have switches in them) or an issue with the computer that communicates with the remotes (it is a black box slung under the rear package shelf, accessible easily from the trunk).

Dimmer/wiper switch is not too tough to replace but also is not cheap -- troll eBay for one, also check out moradpartscompany.com -- probably best bet is to call them (Ed Morad), he probably has a few on his racks and his pricing is fair enough given the quality (High).

hope this helps

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 10:02 pm

Welcome Woods!
Sounds like some minor probs to me. Agreed on the alarm, if it's aftermarket it needs to be REMOVED and BURNED! Aftermarket alarms and GM Passkey don't play nicely together. They work well for a while but eventually start fighting like siblings (cheap ones anyway).
The dimmer/wiper switch isn't that hard. Some column trim removal, couple of screws and plugs is about all.

Good luck! These guys here can help!

Another new guy PostableRivRear-1-1-1
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 10:50 pm

albertj wrote:

Lock doors manually or alarm goes off - if you don't have a factory remote, then no kidding you have to get one...

... just means you might have a bum door latch (the latches have switches in them) or an issue with the computer that communicates with the remotes (it is a black box slung under the rear package shelf, accessible easily from the trunk).

Albertj

Dammit, I can't find the link that someone shared here last year for free online owner's manuals... I realize that the '95s have many differences, and I think the keyfob is one of them. However, even if '95 used the rectangular instead of "teardrop" remotes, I'm sure that the cars would still have a key-switch in the door to deactivate the alarm. After all, that's how they did the Security Systems since 1980, before they even had remote controls.

So while I don't agree that the alarm will go off unless you use a keyfob to unlock the door, I do agree that a bad tamper-switch or key-switch is the likely culprit. Try arming the car with the power lock and then unlocking it with the passenger-door keyhole... If that works, you know that the driver's door key-switch is the problem.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 11:09 pm

Welcome Woodsman!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Merit : 119

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 8:40 am

http://gmprotectionplanwarranty.com/owners-manual/buick/1995-Buick-Riviera.pdf

This is owners manual for 95 Riv.
Welcome Woodsman
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 9:12 am

Eldo wrote:
albertj wrote:

Lock doors manually or alarm goes off - if you don't have a factory remote, then no kidding you have to get one...

... just means you might have a bum door latch (the latches have switches in them) or an issue with the computer that communicates with the remotes (it is a black box slung under the rear package shelf, accessible easily from the trunk).

Albertj

Dammit, I can't find the link that someone shared here last year for free online owner's manuals... I realize that the '95s have many differences, and I think the keyfob is one of them. However, even if '95 used the rectangular instead of "teardrop" remotes, I'm sure that the cars would still have a key-switch in the door to deactivate the alarm. After all, that's how they did the Security Systems since 1980, before they even had remote controls.

So while I don't agree that the alarm will go off unless you use a keyfob to unlock the door, I do agree that a bad tamper-switch or key-switch is the likely culprit. Try arming the car with the power lock and then unlocking it with the passenger-door keyhole... If that works, you know that the driver's door key-switch is the problem.

Eldo (Mark) is correct in saying that the alarm is not necessarily supposed to go off unless you use a keyfob to unlock the door. However, it *is* supposed to go off if you have parked the car, turned it off, locked it somehow (manual, key or fob), then unlock it without using a key or a remote. The scenario is that even if you leave the door open and window down, if the person opening the car does not, in essence, "identify" themselves by using a key or the key fob then the factory-installed theft deterrent alarm is supposed to sound off. The idea is that if window is up, and someone uses a slimjim to unlock the car, or if the windows are down, or one is broken, and then someone reaches in to unlock the car, the alarm is supposed to sound.

Mark's suggestion to lock with power locks then unlock with passenger door keyhole will test things. I'd try both sides to see if there is a difference in what happens.

By the way, your idea to get an owners manual is excellent. There you will learn for instance that if you hold the key in either keyhole in the 'unlock' position, the doors are both suppsed to unlock, and as well you will learn how to program other behaviors of the car depending on how it is equipped.

Hope this helps.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 4:45 am

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
#1BearsFan
Enthusiast
#1BearsFan

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 9:21 am

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 1:11 pm

Welcome to the Forum thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 1:15 pm

Welcome to the board.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 1:34 pm

Welcome
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Woodsman
Special

Name : Wayne Brandt
Merit : 0

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 5:34 pm

Thanks for all the pointers. It's sure been nice to be driving the Riviera again!! It shifts really good & the familiar ride, music, etc is back!! I'll watch the board for more pointers. Thanks again!!
Back to top Go down
moldymac
Fanatic

Name : David
Merit : 19

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 6:01 pm

Welcome aboard!
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 6:57 pm

Another new guy 388242 waz happin
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 7:33 pm

Woodsman wrote:
Thanks for all the pointers. It's sure been nice to be driving the Riviera again!! It shifts really good & the familiar ride, music, etc is back!! I'll watch the board for more pointers. Thanks again!!

You are welcome, now how about those locks?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Merit : 119

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 12:26 am

http://gmprotectionplanwarranty.com/owners-manual/buick/1995-Buick-Riviera.pdf
Hope this helps.
This is owners manual for 95 Riv.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Another new guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another new guy   Another new guy Empty

Back to top Go down

Another new guy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General :: Welcome!-