Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

over boost and missfire

Go down 
+2
albertj
peev0021
6 posters
AuthorMessage
peev0021
Amateur
peev0021

Name : steve
Merit : 0

over boost and missfire Empty
PostSubject: over boost and missfire   over boost and missfire EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 9:36 pm

hi ive been getting a bad periodic missfire, mostly happens when at crusing speed and slowely accerate, or come to a hill, i went to a shop to get them to look for engine codes, andcame up with a missfire and overboost, any help would be good, and the miss fire is so bad ity shakes the whole car,. but goes away if i stomp on it and get the rpms up
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: over boost and missfire   over boost and missfire EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 10:45 pm

how old are your plug wires?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: over boost and missfire   over boost and missfire EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 11:51 pm

Yep...check the plug wires and plugs for any carbon tracking. This means a wire is sliced, broken, etc. Also if a plug is cracked it can do this. The overboost code is odd though....punching it "solves" the problem?! Possibly the boost bypass valve is stuck, which could explain it running fine under WOT.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: over boost and missfire   over boost and missfire EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 7:56 am

3rd for plug wires. Check your plugs too, but most likely it's the wires. Get a good set like AC Delco.
Back to top Go down
peev0021
Amateur
peev0021

PostSubject: Re: over boost and missfire   over boost and missfire EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 10:50 am

ok thanks for yhe advice, id did the plugs in the summer, but the wires avent been done in the 3 years ive had the car so ill try that. where can i get a new boost bypass valve, and is there any way 2 test the old 1
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: over boost and missfire   over boost and missfire EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 3:18 pm

The boost bypass valve is located on the driver side on the front left of the intake manifold. There should be a vacuum line going to it, and it works sorta like an IAC valve. It mainly is there for when the car is in reverse, but you can disconnect it and see if the "output" rod moves or not. I see you have a '95 series I. If I'm not mistaken that engine also has an actuator in-line with the solenoid. This can be checked using a vacuum pump. These may not be your problem, but the overboost code along with misfires bothers me......
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: over boost and missfire   over boost and missfire EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 3:40 pm

Agree. Normally I'd say wires, but punching the throttle should make the condition worse, not better. Wires may be bad, but I think there's another problem.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: over boost and missfire   over boost and missfire EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 6:28 pm

might want to disassemble the coil pack (its a nut-driver job, not hard) and check to see that the ground plane, and the ground line underneath, are clean.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: over boost and missfire   over boost and missfire EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 8:58 pm

peev0021 wrote:
...mostly happens when at cruising speed and slowly accelerate, or come to a hill... but goes away if i stomp on it and get the rpms up
[u]

I agree that plugs/wires should be checked first... What he's describing is gradually lugging the engine, then driving through it by most likely releasing the TCC and/or dropping a gear, both of which would lessen the load.
Back to top Go down
peev0021
Amateur
peev0021

PostSubject: Re: over boost and missfire   over boost and missfire EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 11:05 am

broke down and took the car to a garage today, it turns out it was the egr valve, and of corse my left ball joint was gone(luckly under ac delco life time warinty) and my right rear break was seased
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: over boost and missfire   over boost and missfire EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 2:27 pm

So the valve stuck open, but didn't throw any codes/light the SES light?
Back to top Go down
peev0021
Amateur
peev0021

PostSubject: Re: over boost and missfire   over boost and missfire EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 3:34 pm

im not shure if it stuck open or was just sometimes sticking, i did have an ses light but thats been peridocly off and on for the past 2 years so i just normally ignore it because i brought it in a few timew and now morrable codes. ill hopefully e picking up the car tonight or tomorrow and find out what happened with the valve
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: over boost and missfire   over boost and missfire EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Ahh yes, love when a hard part FA!Ls and sets other codes other than any for itself. Hard to diagnose that over the internet headbutt . EGR valves have a pintle inside of them that sticks from time to time....carbon builds up in there and, well, you have your scenario. It usually sets a code for EGR circuit low/high voltage depending if it's stuck open or shut. Glad to hear it's fixed though!
Back to top Go down
peev0021
Amateur
peev0021

PostSubject: Re: over boost and missfire   over boost and missfire EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 8:33 pm

just got the car back and drives so much better, amazing difference in throtel response, plus not stuck rear breaks and new ball joint wake it ride like new, only 600 dollars later
Back to top Go down
peev0021
Amateur
peev0021

PostSubject: Re: over boost and missfire   over boost and missfire EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 11:05 am

the car started to do the same thing agian yesterday so i took it back 2 the garage, and it needs plug wire now, whitch i would normally do my self but unable to do so due to a broken wrist, picking up the car today and hopefully will be running beter
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: over boost and missfire   over boost and missfire EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 1:44 pm

albertj wrote:
how old are your plug wires?

Albertj

Too bad about your wrist.

Might want to replace the set of plug wires not jsut one. Might want to get Magnecor wires.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
peev0021
Amateur
peev0021

PostSubject: Re: over boost and missfire   over boost and missfire EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 7:13 pm

ya i went wires, i got them to change the plugs also,and it turs out the was a crack spark plug as well (on the porslen), so im shure that was the main culpurate, but the egr valve was defective, and when the mechanic spraid water on the pulg wires it was missing (so they werent taking me 2 the clearners). what a differnce in how it run, feels like a new car
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: over boost and missfire   over boost and missfire Empty

Back to top Go down

over boost and missfire
Page 1 of 1