Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike!

Go down 
+6
Derek
Abaddon
deekster_caddy
KillaKeninaRiv
Rickw
AA
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike!   Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 8:40 pm

rivparadise wrote:
Last week I was getting a low idle sometimes and it would pop a code saying low voltage to sensors etc. I replaced the alternator, however, I forgot to disconnect the battery and the lead wire fell on to the engine giving off quite a spark! I disconnected the battery and finished hooking everything up. Here's what I got! The transmission feels like I have the brakes on trying to go forward, almost like it's blown. The Air Bag light blinks a few times and then stays on. I took it to a shop where they told me there were NO fusable links blown and they suggested getting a new computer. I did and had it flashed to the car. No change and its still running terrible. Barely Idles and tranny still feels blown. Checked every fuse everywhere and none blown. HELP PLEASE!javascript:emoticonp('puzzled')

How long have you had your riv, and how long ago did this problem start/ This is one of the sort of issues where I'd hope to review maintenance history before troubleshooting.

What i am wondering is if you're stuck in limp-home mode. The poor idle tells me maybe not. The poor performance and 'tranny feels blown' tells me maybe so. What I don't know is, why?

I would consider swapping in a known good ignition module and coils.

are you getting a code now and what is it?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

Name : Samuel
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike!   Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:00 pm

Had this Riv for almost Three years now and no problems up until two months ago when the idle would go low only once in a while. Replaced IAC, MAF and TPS on the throttle body as well as cleaning it. Transmission shop guy told me I was in Limp Mode.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/theacetomato
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

PostSubject: Re: Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike!   Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:00 pm

No codes coming up yet!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike!   Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:11 pm

rivparadise wrote:
No codes coming up yet!

Are you burning regular or premium gas?

Do you use fuel from one station or several diff ones?

Do you occasionally burn E-85 or do you think you mighta accidentally got a load of it?

Did you consider pulling the oxygen sensors to look for white ash on them?

Did you check the wiring to the O2 sensors?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

PostSubject: Re: Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike!   Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:22 pm

Always Premium, Several different stations, No E-85, Didn't pull O2 sensors but will in the morning along with wiring to them.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike!   Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:35 pm

Don't just look at the oxy sensors, look at the others as well, the wiring especially. If you have the check engine light on get a scanner please and pull the codes, may tell you a little.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike!   Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike! - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 11:45 am

Have you replaced spark plugs and wires?
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

PostSubject: Re: Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike!   Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike! - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 6:52 pm

No codes from my buddys little scanner and I checked as much wiring as I could finding nothing. Took it to a speed shop here in town known for excellent work. They did a little today and found some codes but will get into the thick of it tomorrow. I will post what they find! Thank you all for your help.
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

PostSubject: Re: Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike!   Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike! - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 8:22 pm

Guy at Speed shop said tranny was fine and alternator was putting out too much voltage. Car goes in to protect mode over 16 or so volts. Going to replace alternator tomorrow morning.
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

PostSubject: Re: Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike!   Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike! - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 7:20 am

I just had the same problem! Our car have a safety feature that protects certain circuits from too much power. The car goes into LIMP mode! New alternator should do the trick. I got a new one from Carquest and it was throwing out 17.4. My car wouldn't run right either! Ordered another one and walla! Fixed!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike!   Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Alternator Failure, Voltage Spike!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2