Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes

Go down 
+7
ZEP
Abaddon
Rickw
Hometown Hero
97 park ave
AA
AuthorMessage

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes Empty
PostSubject: Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes   Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 11:32 am

I've got a bunch of pics, and some custom work, so this is in its own thread.
I'll fire a link to here from "The Muffler Thread" too.

So, when spending money like a drunken sailor on car stuff, I all of a sudden decided to do exhaust work too. I was looking around for what mufflers I'd like and stumbled across this:
http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt

It was newish, and seemed like a neat gimmick. So I started researching. Every thread for every auto forum on the Internet was similar. Next to no sound clips. People agreed it was a cool idea. Biggest fear was a failure of the return spring, or rattling. But, I thought, "Its Dynomax! lifetime warranty!" So on a whim, I bought 2 in 2.25 size.

Fast Forward to 2 days before my sister's wedding. My car was going to be driving around the wedding party along with the wife's 98 riv. I was scrambling to get everything I wanted to on it done, and naturally, I was ambitious...So I cut the back off my exhaust system:

Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3628

Now, since I was in a hurry, there are not pics of the entire process, but here is what I have.

The mufflers box:
Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3624

I mocked things up based on the shape of the stock bit I had cut off.
Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3623

I only had the following to work with:
2 X 2.25 dynomax VT mufflers
2 X Magnaflow weld on tips
2 X 2.25 mandral bent U bends
2 X universal exhaust hangers
1 X 2.5 ID to 2.75 OD connector

I was *hoping* I could make a workable exhaust in 2 days, with minimal parts, no experience, and one mess up I would be SOL.

From mocking up things on the floor, I found the angle that I wanted for the Y pipe to be 42 degrees from center. If I had known this before, I could have bought a Y pipe that was the same or very close and saved myself a ton of work.

The plan was to split into the Y a tiny bit back from where the stock on was, into the two mufflers on angles to clear the spare tire "dip", then turn back the 42 degrees to go straight out at the stock exhaust locations with tips.

Now I had only 2 U bends to work with. And each cut had to be right. So the theory was to cut the U in half, mark out the angle at the end bend part of each piece, cut it perfect, do the same in the other piece, weld together, cut the mid point square, and weld on a straight bit to slide onto the stock 2.5" pipe. Things were slowly sinking in as to what I had ahead of me.

And so, I went forwards the only way I know how. With absolute precision! I would cut the angles in the milling machine:
Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3619

Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3620

Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3621

Which worked surprisingly well. I fired some bits of Delrin into the pipe so it couldn't crush or distort in the mill.

Then marked out the other piece:
Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3618

And cut it too.

I pipe clamped them together for some more mock up:
Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3622

Then got "the expert" ,my dad, to TIG them. I can MIG ok, but I'm still learning TIG, and I had no room for error here.
Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3629
Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3630

The back end was cut square with a little to slip the straight piece on:
Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3631

And welded:
Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3632
The welds are ok, but not the norm for dad. It was my fault cause I forgot to clean the oil off them before declaring them ready for welding. Anyone who has welded knows what oil contamination does...

Some pics are missing, but basically there was alot of screwing around to decide the angle of the mufflers, and lots of dry fitting. I have new respect for exhaust shops who can make everything right, and not look like a crooked bag of crap.

The finished bit:
Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3633

More fitting on car, and figuring out the hang points:
Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3636

Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3637

Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3634

Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3635

Then masked off and painted with black header paint. I wanted the piping to not draw any attention to itself under the car so it would look like it belongs.

Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3642

Hangers:
The bolts for the rear bumper mount are perfect location for easy hanging with universal exhaust hangers:
Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3650

Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3651

And finished:
Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3644
Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3648
Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes IMGP3649

I wanted them *just* flush with the back of the car, and went with rolled edge, oval, slant cut, Magnaflow tips. Something "subtlety showy"

I'm very pleased with the result. Dynomax is right, there is NO drone at all. Its as quiet as stock, with a very slight rumble at idle. Highway cruising is quiet. I'm told that at WOT, when the valves open, it sounds pretty aggressive, but I can't hear it over the scream of the supercharger anyway. I'll get vids up whenever I can find a chance.

Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes   Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 11:42 am

Fantastic work!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes   Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 12:18 pm

nice work, looks kinda like mine minus the huge tips/glasspacks lol

Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes DSC00254
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes   Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 12:35 pm

Very nice fabrication job. A+ clap
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes   Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 1:45 pm

That's what I have been waiting for 3 or more years to hear.
Someone finally made a muffler that will work without droan at cruise yet open up under heavy throttle.
And naturally, someone else trying them out first is a big bonus.

Thanks a lot Karma, can't wait for the video and audio clip of them.

Rick
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes   Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 3:16 pm

Nice setup! Those DynoMax VT's are my next investment. The SuperTurbo's just didn't last. The driver side muffler is starting to peel apart!
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes   Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 8:37 pm

That's a beautiful fabrication job. Really looking forward to an audio/video clip as well. Hats off
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes   Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 10:06 pm

I second that,very nice work... 3gears
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes   Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 10:12 pm

Andrew, I wish I could do what you do.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes   Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 2:56 am

I love the way the new tips almost perfectly match the originals, just on a smaller scale...
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes   Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 3:09 am

super work! wow! cant wait for the sound clips!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes   Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 2:11 am

Karma,
Have you had the time to do any sound clips of the VT's and do you have any new info on them as far as use and the possible issue with the internal springs.
Any internal rattles, etc.

How about a semi- long term follow up with sounds.

I want to do this if you suggest the mufflers are holding up well. Would like to get it done before the winter snow starts falling.

What say you.?????
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes   Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 8:15 am

So far, I love them. No rattles or anything. Mellow rumble, just a tiny bit louder than stock. WOT, I have not a clue since the SC sounds like a cat in a blender. The only thing that has cropped up since they have "broken in" is that there is the *slightest* tiny blip of drone at 2000rpm, like I have to work at making it happen. If the rpm changes by even 2, its gone again. Longer res might take that right out of the system, since I'm still using stock.

I'll try and get some sound-clips this weekend, since my brother is coming up and can bring his camera.

Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes   Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 9:37 pm

sound clips?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes   Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 1:59 pm

Karma,
Do you know if the stock diameter pipe going into the stock muffler is 2 1/4" on the 1998, I can't remember anymore, it's been so long since I did the Headers and HF Cat. I measured everything at that time.?

Did you buy Dynomax P/N 17155 mufflers, which are the 2 1/4" offset inlet and center outlet for Dual exhaust.

For some reason they list a different P/N for a VT Muffler that has the same inlet and outlet diameter yet designed for a single muffler system up to 4.0 Liter engine.

Or do you think I should increase the pipe size from where you cut it to a 2 1/2".
Then have the Y and the pipes custom bent to the mufflers at 2 1/2".

Wondering what your thoughts are on this.

Would like to buy 2 of these mufflers next month and bring them to the custom shop and have the work done.

I intend on leaving the stock resonator in the car. Once all this other work is done, it will be the only stock piece left in the exhaust system.

BTW, the new exhaust tips I bought have an inlet size slightly larger than 2 1/4" by about 1/8". Just throwing that out there, as any size pipe can be made to fit them with adapters if necessary.
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes   Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 2:28 pm

I know my name isn't Karma. Although I'm sure the exhaust system on a stock 98 is the same as that of the 95, the only difference was before the cat. I remember looking at both when I did mine earlier this year. The stock exhaust was pretty anemic on the Riviera at 2 1/4 cat back into 1 7/8 Y to the mufflers. Double check the thread I put up on "Max exhaust size for 95 Riviera SC" all the pertanant info for sizing should be on there.

Hope that answer part of your question. canada

Or you can view the info on walkers webpage here: http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog/vehicletypescrnexhaust.asp
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes   Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 2:48 pm

Thanks for the info and the Link.

That was exactly what I was looking for.

I can weld a new Y at 2 1/4" to match the center pipe and add 2 - 2 1/4" inlet mufflers for a decent exhaust.

Not going for loud and don't mind leaving a few horsepower on the table either. I want to try the Variable Tune DynoMax Mufflers. Shouldn't cost me much more to finish off the exhaust system by cutting before the factory Y and starting from there to the end of the tips.
I'll just keep it all at 2 1/4" from that point back. Weld some stainless pipe with stainless mufflers and Tips.
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes   Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 2:58 pm

No problemo Ricky Bobby! SHAKE AND BAKE!!! happy
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes   Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 10:40 pm

Ricky Bobby - Shake and Bake.. Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes Usa Friggin hilarious.

The one good thing about exhaust is you can always change it quite easily if you don't like it.

By the way, never did see the movie. It's probably available on my cable system for about a buck by now. I'll have to watch it.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes   Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 5:41 pm

Wow, nice info and diagram... I think they took this from the Factory body manual. thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes   Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 9:23 am

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes   Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Custom Y-Split Exhaust Pipes
Page 1 of 1