Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Windshield Molding Question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

Windshield Molding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshield Molding Question   Windshield Molding Question EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 1:01 pm

there is one thing what i would like to see and know..

Can anyone make me a picture of the rivieras factory windshealds sealing what goes araund it.

the last owner had replaces the windsheald on my car anb i guess he broke the sealing/waterstripe or however its called.

he replaced it whit some wide sealing.

and dos anyone know where can i buy one and how much do they cost?
would like to see a closeup picture of it in place. from the apilars...from front..and on the top where the roof is.

would be very thankfull.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Molding Question   Windshield Molding Question EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 1:25 pm

Timo,
The rubber piece that you can see around the windshield does not seal the windshield.
The windshield is sealed from under the glass with a Urethane windshield sealer / adhesive.
The piece outside is called a Reveal Molding.
I've had to replace mine as well because the previous owner tried to glue it down in spots with RTV or silicone sealer and made a mess of it.
Mine started lifting off in spots and was flapping against the windshield and the paint.
I cut off the bad sections, so it didn't destroy my paint, until I could buy a new one.
You can operate the car without it and the windshield won't leak if it is sealed properly from under the glass.
After buying a new one I had to spend a lot of time getting all the old sealant and glues that were on the windshield off so that the new rubber piece would stick and stay.
The new piece was less than $30.00 from Monsterpartsonline, IIRC.
The GM part number for 95-99 is #25680935
I used some black urethane windshield adhesive to attach the new one. It can be a little tricky to get it on without making a mess with the black adhesive.
I also let the new adhesive cure (dry) in warm weather before using the car again.
This time of year it is best done in a heated shop.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Molding Question   Windshield Molding Question EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 4:54 pm

Do you not have one installed at all.?
Yes, I can see why you would want to install one before freezing temps and water, etc.
I don't have a camera at the moment to take a pic.
Can someone else maybe provide a pic of the windshield reveal molding for Timo.?????
Or maybe there is already a pic of a close up of the windshield somewhere on this site that you know about. IDK.!!!!
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Molding Question   Windshield Molding Question EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 8:44 pm

Rick, don't you have to remove the whole bloody windshield just to replace the reveal molding?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Molding Question   Windshield Molding Question EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 9:07 pm

NO, it just attaches to the windshield from the outside.
The windshield is raised up from the body and the Reveal molding is formed with a "C" channel shape and slips onto the exposed part of the windshield.
This is what makes it a real PITA. You have to clean all the old adhesive from the glass, not only from the face of the windshield, easy to do, but around the small amount of glass exposed in the back side. If this makes sense
If you don't get all the old adhesive off, and if you don't use a good Urethane adhesive with the new molding it won't stay on long.
Ask me how i know.!!!!
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Molding Question   Windshield Molding Question EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 9:46 am

okay..had a longer test drive now....SES light is still on even tho took the block off plate off from the egr.

traction contreoll light goes sometimes on and then off...

hope i did not damage the sensore in the exhaust pipe after cat when i did the exhaust. or shoudl check again all vacum lines and wires what i took off and reinstalled.
just reminded me that one wires connecting clip broke. and did not hold good anymore.should check it tho..

also noticed now that it makes a anoyying sound when drive whitout the windsheald molding...loud wisle..

looks like i have have things to do again this weekend.
cant make daytime pictures..cos i go do work when its dark here,,6:00 and come from work when its dark again...16:00,,,well short daytime here atm cos of winter. on weekend i will truy to make some pictures of the compleat car and hopefully get the cameras setings changed so it will make longer then 15sec video of the exhaust sound.

well..i think about it Rick. will talk to Uno and see what kind ideas he has. if i order then guess woudl be good if it arriwes quick...on 18detsember im going back to Estonia..and 3rd januar to Fin.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 90

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Molding Question   Windshield Molding Question EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 7:01 pm

Here it is with the reveal molding installed:

Windshield Molding Question 29334810

Here it is without:

Windshield Molding Question 082_510

I have driven my ’95 several times without it, I changed it when I did the paint job and haven’t gotten it reinstalled securely yet. I’ll probably use some sort of rubber/glass adhesive soon.

Hope these are the kind of pictures you were looking for?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Molding Question   Windshield Molding Question EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 7:21 pm

wow! i like the look of thecar without the moulding. it loos so clean aside from extra noise what the major drawback?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Molding Question   Windshield Molding Question EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 7:43 pm

I believe water can collect in and around the windshield and freeze during the winter month's and cause the windshield to lift and leak.
That is assuming;
#1 you live in a cold climate and
#2 you live in a cold climate and park outside,and
#3 you live in a cold climate and drive the car.!!!!
Otherwise it just looks like shiite without the molding.
Would probably look good with chrome molding instead of black rubber.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Molding Question   Windshield Molding Question EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 8:44 pm

ahh...
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Molding Question   Windshield Molding Question EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 1:31 am

Randall, is that a factory replacement molding? It looks wider than mine...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Molding Question   Windshield Molding Question EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 7:16 am

Eldo wrote:
My original one was wider than the OEM replacement.
I had to buff the paint out around the windshield to remove some marks left by the original molding.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 90

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Molding Question   Windshield Molding Question EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 8:34 am

Eldo wrote:
That was a picture I had that I cropped so it does make it look wider than it really is ... sorry!

Here is one from another post that looks closer to the real thing:

Windshield Molding Question Paint_10

It gives a better idea of the OEM molding size, it is actually narrow enough it doesn't cover the A-pillar where it bends down towards the windshield.

Hope this gives you a better idea bow
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Molding Question   Windshield Molding Question EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 11:44 am

oh...so thats how it looks....way better then the last thing what wase there...

Thanks alot Randall.

Rick how much will it cost whit shiping?
gues the 30$ shiping(10-20$?) wont hurt so much...also i need to buy new winter tyres.
After 1st december its not allowed to drive anymore whit summer tyres in finland/estonia.
i think i will need it....its anoying when iut starts to visle at +110/120km/h...

//wow! i like the look of thecar without the moulding. it loos so clean aside from extra noise what the major drawback?//

have to say its very loud...
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Windshield Molding Question   Windshield Molding Question EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 1:00 pm

Rickw wrote:
Eldo wrote:
My original one was wider than the OEM replacement.
I had to buff the paint out around the windshield to remove some marks left by the original molding.

Ah ha... I'll bet mine was replaced at some point too, cuz it's got extra, exposed goop along the bottom few inches on both sides.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Molding Question   Windshield Molding Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Windshield Molding Question
Page 1 of 1