Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Go down 
+4
Eldo
Abaddon
albertj
LaFlare
8 posters
AuthorMessage
LaFlare

Name : G
Merit : 2

, Empty
PostSubject: ,   , EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 1:14 pm

Last edited by LaFlare on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

, Empty
PostSubject: Re: ,   , EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 1:30 pm

You can pretty much ignore it, and/or just use a different pump. Or you can slide the pump spout back out the tank just a little bit so the safety isn't faked out by the Riv's built in vapor recovery system. My guess is you are using the cheapest 91 octane you can find, and the point is that it is at the cheapest gas station that you'd expect to find them cheaping out also on equipment maintenance.

The pump spouts are supposed to be serviced every so many months so they don' t do what you are saying but that's expensive and many if not most service station owners stretch the interval by waiting until customers complain before they do the servicing. Anyway all the device does is shut off the spout if there is any backpressure, and over time the device usually becomes too sensitive. Call it a "fail safe" in that if broken it won't dispense gas. Which if you designed it is what you'd want.

If you find this happening with gas pump handles that are obviously new or have been recently serviced there may be an issue, but frankly I have **never** in the years of owning a Riv or participating on this board heard of the on-board vapor recovery system failing such that it was the cause of kicking gas pumps off. In my experience it's a pump spout problem.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

, Empty
PostSubject: Re: ,   , EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 1:43 pm

Does our fuel tank have one of those check balls at the end of the filler neck? I've never had it apart. Any time I've seen this reoccuring fueling issue, either the check ball is stuck, or the vent tube is clogged/pinched.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

, Empty
PostSubject: Re: ,   , EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 3:48 pm

Albert: He said he's buying Chevron - hardly the cheapest station in town...

Scott: As far as I know, only the vent has the "rollover/overfill ball". The fill pipe has the pressure-vacuum cap so it doesn't need it.

LaFlare: You didn't fill out your location... are you in California? The latest PITA, overpriced vapor-recovery nozzles that they forced down our throats have been giving me more trouble than the old ones.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

, Empty
PostSubject: Re: ,   , EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 4:38 pm

I have noticed that the more vertical you hold the spout the more the pump tends to stop. I try to not touch the Rivs' paint by holding the spout up more but thats when it would stop more often.
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

, Empty
PostSubject: Re: ,   , EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 5:16 pm

Around here MN has laws on the books that makes gas pretty much the same price from station to station. Maybe a penny difference here and there.
There will be no fair market driven competition! twak
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

, Empty
PostSubject: Re: ,   , EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 7:50 pm

Eldo wrote:
Albert: He said he's buying Chevron - hardly the cheapest station in town...

Scott: As far as I know, only the vent has the "rollover/overfill ball". The fill pipe has the pressure-vacuum cap so it doesn't need it.

LaFlare: You didn't fill out your location... are you in California? The latest PITA, overpriced vapor-recovery nozzles that they forced down our throats have been giving me more trouble than the old ones.

I would take Abaddon's advice on this one.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

, Empty
PostSubject: Re: ,   , EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 9:06 pm

I would also take Abaddon's advice and be looking for some pinched hose or tubing kink and really look close at the filler neck and see if there is any corrosion started externally, these are becoming known for corrosion on the outside, and most important any blockage from the inside.
Unfortunately, The only way I know how to check a filler pipe that is bent like ours, is to remove it and check the flow of water through it backwards. If you do end up doing it that way just make sure it's somewhat dry before re-installing it if you have to.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

, Empty
PostSubject: Re: ,   , EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:00 pm

Yes, check the filler neck, and the vent tube. And what I meant by the check ball is that most cars have either a spring loaded flapper, or a "check ball" just beyond the filler neck in the gas tank. This is meant to allow fuel into the tank, and not out. If it were stuck closer to the "closed" position, the filler neck would fill up with fuel and shut the pump off. There is also a tank vapor hose that goes to the EVAP canister that should be checked.
So, basically, it's pretty much 1 of 3 things.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

, Empty
PostSubject: Re: ,   , EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 11:33 pm

I know I've been pretty critical of these manuals, but I still say that the only "check-balls" are in the vent system...
After all, the engineers and the EPA knew that the tank has a cap on the filler.

We still don't know where LaFlare lives, and the design of the damned pump nozzles is still a variable...

BTW, I just know that someone on here has dropped their tank, and they can say whether their filler inlet has a ball in it. idea
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

, Empty
PostSubject: Re: ,   , EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 11:55 pm

Eldo wrote:
I know I've been pretty critical of these manuals, but I still say that the only "check-balls" are in the vent system...
After all, the engineers and the EPA knew that the tank has a cap on the filler.

We still don't know where LaFlare lives, and the design of the damned pump nozzles is still a variable...

BTW, I just know that someone on here has dropped their tank, and they can say whether their filler inlet has a ball in it. idea

I dont' think it's design of pump nozzles as much as it is they get a *lot* of use. Friend of mine who owns a large (4 islands) gas station/cnvenience store/repair center told me he services his pump nozzles every 3 months on a rotation... or else, they soon would not work right.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

, Empty
PostSubject: Re: ,   , EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 12:22 am

albertj wrote:

I dont' think it's design of pump nozzles as much as it is they get a *lot* of use. Friend of mine who owns a large (4 islands) gas station/cnvenience store/repair center told me he services his pump nozzles every 3 months on a rotation... or else, they soon would not work right.
Albertj

But like I said, California is NEVER happy with their emission reductions - even if they've already reduced emissions by 90+%... If they were, they'd be out of a job!!
I literally started pumping gas when I was 8 years old... In the meantime, they have forced at least FOUR generations of vapor-recovery nozzles on us. And except for the very first dual-hose systems, every one has been more of a PITA than the last. In fact, I watch the NYMEX exchange for wholesale unleaded, and before these new nozzles came out, our lowest prices were about 80 cents/gallon over the wholesale. Since the new, $40,000/station nozzles came out, our prices have been a dollar or more over the NYMEX wholesale...
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

, Empty
PostSubject: Re: ,   , EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 11:43 am

Sweepspear wrote:
Around here MN has laws on the books that makes gas pretty much the same price from station to station. Maybe a penny difference here and there.
There will be no fair market driven competition! twak

Good. The stations here purposely get together and fix prices yet nobody that can take care of it wants to. The gas is at least 15 cents more in town than out of town. Even at a small out in the middle of nowhere station. It's extremely aggrivating.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

, Empty
PostSubject: Re: ,   , Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Care & Maintenance-
Jump to: