Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Big Dave gets new speakers

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

Big Dave gets new speakers Empty
PostSubject: Big Dave gets new speakers   Big Dave gets new speakers EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 1:52 am

Merry christmas to everyone. I hope Santa was good to y'all! Lil Dave found new speakers under the tree on Chrstmas morning, and we installed them Christmas day.

In front we put JL Audio TR650CSi's(6.5" component) and in back, Arc Audio KS6936's(6x9).Made a huge difference in sound quality. wink The 6.5" were not as difficult as I had thought to mount. Just a little trimming of the speaker cavity on the door panel is all it took. Factory grills still mount up with no problem.

I have been researching the JL Audio's Clean Sweep interface so I can keep the factory head unit. This also gives you RCA outputs to feed an amp. The best feature of all is an aux input for an mp-3 player. Lil Dave will be able to loose his tape deck adapter and all the noise that goes with it.

In hindsight, I wish I would have taken pics of the door panel mod and did a write-up. Sorry about that. I am still new to this. I will be sure to do one for the Clean Sweep.
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: Big Dave gets new speakers   Big Dave gets new speakers EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 9:59 pm

Did you have to do any mods for the depth so the window would go down all the way? When I replaced my OEM fronts, I wanted 6.5's but the depth was a problem unless I changed the grille.

I ended up with Rockford Fosgates that were OK for the price. However, I thought that the double tweeter created interference patterns that hampered clarity and it had an indifferent woofer. This may sound a little harsh (no pun intended) because there were other less that optimal compromises in the system Like 4 channel amp, stock head unit, poor crossover settings, incorrectly set up sub, etc.
Back to top Go down
95rivy
Enthusiast
95rivy

Name : curt
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Big Dave gets new speakers   Big Dave gets new speakers EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 9:44 am

I put 6.5 speakers in the doors and you dont need to cut out the back of the speaker housing just the sides to fit the larger speaker. there is plenty of room behind the speaker.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Big Dave gets new speakers   Big Dave gets new speakers EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 10:36 am

Different brands and models offer different front and rear clearances. It's quite possible one will fit without interference, while another will cause issues.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: Big Dave gets new speakers   Big Dave gets new speakers EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 6:20 pm

The depth of the speakers was not an issue. I only had to trim a bit of plastic from the plastic speaker housing on the door trim panel. The weatherguard did not interfere so I was confident I would not have an issue with the window clearance. I may play around with the tweeter location to improve sound quality. I installed them in the same place as originals, but may try something more like Aaron's. They sound okay but I think getting the tweeter over the woofer might clean it up a bit. I may order a JL Audio Clean Sweep and an amp real soon so I will probably wait for that. Lil Dave is real happy with the way it sounds though!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big Dave gets new speakers   Big Dave gets new speakers Empty

Back to top Go down

Big Dave gets new speakers
Page 1 of 1