Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Just for the record...

Go down 
+2
Abaddon
toomanytoyz
6 posters
AuthorMessage
toomanytoyz
Amateur

Name : Bill Crovo
Merit : 0

Just for the record... Empty
PostSubject: Just for the record...   Just for the record... EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 8:17 am

Changing the power steering rack in a Riv blows big hairy donkey dink. Could they have it bolt to a few more things????? mad

Ugh.

That is all. wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.badassofne.net
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Just for the record...   Just for the record... EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 8:56 am

Yeah, not very fun is it...... lmfao

It's actually not that bad. Drop the exhaust from the rear manifold, unbolt everything, lower the rear of the cradle, and pull the rack out.....
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Just for the record...   Just for the record... EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 11:52 am

Yeeeeaaaaahhhhh... Great theory, until you've got a rusty New England car with 180K miles and 14 salty winters and all the nuts and bolts no longer resemble nuts and bolts. Boo! wink

That exhaust will come apart, but never make it back together. frown
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Just for the record...   Just for the record... EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:03 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Yeeeeaaaaahhhhh... Great theory, until you've got a rusty New England car with 180K miles and 14 salty winters and all the nuts and bolts no longer resemble nuts and bolts. Boo! wink

That exhaust will come apart, but never make it back together. frown

I know exactly how you feel. Michigan isn't any easier on our cars. Just have to soak everything with penetrating oil for about a week until you tackle the job. Doing it on the floor in the garage doesn't make it any easier either....the exhaust studs are going to break, especially if they've never been apart before.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Just for the record...   Just for the record... EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:52 pm

The exhaust studs were about 1/8" thick. And the 9/16" nuts on them were just 1/4" bumps of rust. Not much left. frown

Looks like I'll be doing my headers and cat delete sooner than later!
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Just for the record...   Just for the record... EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 1:25 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:

Now you're thinkin like me! wink If it's all gonna break anyway, may as well break it and make it better twisted
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Just for the record...   Just for the record... EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 2:53 pm

Abaddon wrote:
toomanytoyz wrote:

Now you're thinkin like me! wink If it's all gonna break anyway, may as well break it and make it better twisted

Never repair... UPGRADE! tavis
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Just for the record...   Just for the record... EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 4:44 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
The exhaust studs were about 1/8" thick. And the 9/16" nuts on them were just 1/4" bumps of rust. Not much left. frown

...yeah but the plate at the cat is stainless - just back the studs out rusty nuts and all, replace with studs from a parts store, you can get stainless ones if you want. If u are feeling lucky swipe some coper antiseize on teh studs when reinstalling and crank the nuts down good. The studs wont seize and the nuts won't turn. I think the PITB part is you don't necessairly have them on the list of "consumables" needed on hand to replace a rack...

...adn what beancounter genius decided it was OK to use those teeny studs (save 2 ounces?!?! I know it adds up but geeeeeez).

Albertj
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: Just for the record...   Just for the record... EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 8:00 pm

I used to have a Roadmaster wagon. Great car when the kids were small. Traded for a Regal GS.

What all have you done to yours?
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Just for the record...   Just for the record... EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 8:41 pm

albertj wrote:
toomanytoyz wrote:

...yeah but the plate at the cat is stainless - just back the studs out rusty nuts and all, replace with studs from a parts store, you can get stainless ones if you want. If u are feeling lucky swipe some coper antiseize on teh studs when reinstalling and crank the nuts down good. The studs wont seize and the nuts won't turn. I think the PITB part is you don't necessairly have them on the list of "consumables" needed on hand to replace a rack...

...adn what beancounter genius decided it was OK to use those teeny studs (save 2 ounces?!?! I know it adds up but geeeeeez).

Albertj

LOL. You're funny. There's no backing anything out. It's snapping, drilling, and tapping. Eff that. I'll work around it until I can afford the headers. I'll get rid of the cat and resonator at the same time. happy

sburch23 wrote:
I used to have a Roadmaster wagon. Great car when the kids were small. Traded for a Regal GS.

What all have you done to yours?

Not a whole lot yet. It's my 5th B-wagon though, so just give me time. wink The interior is all redone with Corbeau bucket seats, reupholstered rear, floor shift, and audio and video for the kids, Done a few things on the exterior, hood, de-rubbered the side molding and polished the stainless and installed a set of clear/ smoked headlights and corners with 45ooK HID's. Hotchkis springs all around and upgraded bars. The 18x9.5" Coy's wheels with 275/40's. Exhaust and intake and a few other little things. But I've built a stout disc brake rear with 3.42's, TruTrac, Moser's, ARP 1/2" studs and an aluminum cover with the preload screws for the carrier bearings. Building a stout 4L80E for it now too, and got a nice Yank 3200 converter... Why all that? Well, I'm also building a build turbo motor for it right now, too. Hope to have about 550-600HP at the wheels by the end of spring. wink

Should be a fun sleeper.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Just for the record...   Just for the record... EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 12:07 am

Hell yea, that Roadmaster is MINT!!! happy
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

Name : Chris Davis
Merit : 19

PostSubject: Re: Just for the record...   Just for the record... EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 10:30 am

I am liking the roadmaster beast. Put some good pics of that on the showroom.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just for the record...   Just for the record... Empty

Back to top Go down

Just for the record...
Page 1 of 1