Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Grinding Noise

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
gmoss98
Special
gmoss98

Name : Glenn Moss
Merit : 0

Grinding Noise Empty
PostSubject: Grinding Noise   Grinding Noise EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 8:03 pm

I have a 98 with the 4T65E -hd Transaxle. I have an annoying grinding noise when turning right. It doesn't appear to be an issue otherwise. Under hard acceleration the shifts are crisp. The mounts "look" Ok . Are there problems related to the final drive assembly *+(Differential)?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

Grinding Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grinding Noise   Grinding Noise EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 9:58 pm

gmoss98 wrote:
I have a 98 with the 4T65E -hd Transaxle. I have an annoying grinding noise when turning right. It doesn't appear to be an issue otherwise. Under hard acceleration the shifts are crisp. The mounts "look" Ok . Are there problems related to the final drive assembly *+(Differential)?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Do you think you might want to look first at the inner fenders?

With the OE wheels certain tires will rub the plastic inner fenders on the right or the left when wheel turned to lock (the max turning angle).

With certain aftermarket wheels and tires, not the OE size, the tires may rub a lot due to differnt offset and what-not.

Sometimes if you inner fender liners were removed for some reason (belt change) then reinstalled they may not have been positioned properly.

If this is your issue you will be able to see the rubbing swath on the inner fender liners. Most likely on the lower edge aft of the axle...

Albertj
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Grinding Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grinding Noise   Grinding Noise EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 10:32 pm

At what speed do you hear the grinding? If the car's suspension in under load (as in a moderate/high speed turn), it could be the hub/wheel bearing giving a signal before failure.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
gmoss98
Special
gmoss98

Name : Glenn Moss
Merit : 0

Grinding Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grinding Noise   Grinding Noise EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 10:38 pm

it's present at all speeds. even 20 km/hr city cornering. I've checked the fender wells nothing obvious there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Grinding Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grinding Noise   Grinding Noise Empty

Back to top Go down

Grinding Noise
Page 1 of 1